Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof trim

Footy69

Footy69

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just wondered if someone could show me picture of their front roof trim please . My 21 plate was starting to lift in places and went in 3 days ago for replacement under warranty. Got it back and noticed these gaps , I’m sure it wasn’t like this before. And this definitely doesn’t look right. Also think roof looks higher . Thanks.

10CFF503-9696-46E0-B7E7-1F2F40BD82AB.jpeg

ED0EFF5F-961E-4576-A2B3-43CCEB12704A.jpeg

It’s not fitted correctly, i assume that’s a new seal (replaced )
open the roof 20 - 30cm , you’ll see that the seal is not attached correctly to the roof, relatively easy fix remove, re shape / refit , do not over stress the seal it will break the rubber and rust ! Causing roof corrosion!

best bet is take it back to the dealer whilst under warranty

It’s not fitted correctly, i assume that’s a new seal (replaced )
open the roof 20 - 30cm , you’ll see that the seal is not attached correctly to the roof, relatively easy fix remove, re shape / refit , do not over stress the seal it will break the rubber and rust ! Causing roof corrosion!

best bet is take it back to the dealer whilst under warranty
Hi ,thanks for replying. Yes, it was new replacement , was in all day. I will open roof and have a look. Think it will have to go back in . That’s not problem only thing is it’s 2 hours away, , and getting another day off work . Will phone them today. What did you think of roof height ,?

Looks similar to mine, what’s the right hand side look like, mine sits slightly higher on the left, by a couple of mm, like your photo, not sure if it’s a defect or in tolerance. I have an early MY23 with the original bellows, so at least don’t have the leaking issue.

Its not fitted correctly. It took my dealer 2 attempts to get it right. They told me they needed to order another new seal as they can't be removed and refitted.
This was what happened when I opened the roof after their first attempt.

20220727_175313.jpg

Hi ,thanks for replying. Yes, it was new replacement , was in all day. I will open roof and have a look. Think it will have to go back in . That’s not problem only thing is it’s 2 hours away, , and getting another day off work . Will phone them today. What did you think of roof height ,?
Roof height hard to tell from the photos but I can’t see anything stand out, when the seal is fitted correctly tgd roof / cap will blend in.

why was your seal replaced ?
Where was the corrosion?

if the dealer is two hours away you could have a go yourself, if it subsequently rusts you’ll be going back anyway.

if your practical it’s really easy, the seal is a push fit, it come in a straivpght section that needs to be shaped to fit the front roof profile,
funnily enough that shaping can cause the rubber to split exposing the steel reinforcing. I’ve had a brand new one showing rust !

You need to be aware that the front section is a different profile from the side / rear , the corners are bonded and need to be treated with care.
IMO there is something that can Be done to improve the seating simply by removing and refitting.

Regular checks (twice per year At least is what I do ) remove In Section, inspect,clean the roof edge and seal.

Its not fitted correctly. It took my dealer 2 attempts to get it right. They told me they needed to order another new seal as they can't be removed and refitted.
This was what happened when I opened the roof after their first attempt.

View attachment 116312
Omg. Shocking , I haven’t opened mine yet, will try , I phoned dealer ,they want some photos which I’ve sent. Think they trying to say because it was don in one day , they’d rather have it for two to make sure,meaning I have to get hotel. I see what they come back with.

Where'd you have that done?

Roof height hard to tell from the photos but I can’t see anything stand out, when the seal is fitted correctly tgd roof / cap will blend in.

why was your seal replaced ?
Where was the corrosion?

if the dealer is two hours away you could have a go yourself, if it subsequently rusts you’ll be going back anyway.

if your practical it’s really easy, the seal is a push fit, it come in a straivpght section that needs to be shaped to fit the front roof profile,
funnily enough that shaping can cause the rubber to split exposing the steel reinforcing. I’ve had a brand new one showing rust !

You need to be aware that the front section is a different profile from the side / rear , the corners are bonded and need to be treated with care.
IMO there is something that can Be done to improve the seating simply by removing and refitting.

Regular checks (twice per year At least is what I do ) remove In Section, inspect,clean the roof edge and seal.
This is sage advice from @Perfectos; inexperienced new owners might be wise to take heed and check this seal regularly.

There are several other postings on this subject which make helpful reading and are worth searching for, including my own record of corrosion found in the seal 6 months from new.

The only things I would add are (i) it is best to fit the seal a new when the rubber is warm (ie in summer sun) and flexible, ditto if/when you remove to check; (ii) if you are having a new seal fitted, a generous coat of polish on paintwork local to the seal may stop it binding; (iii) some people (me included) put a smear Lanoguard, Waxoyl or Molykote into the seal to protect from corrosion of the steel reinforcement in the seal - but this can tend to discourage the seal from staying in place so a 'light touch' is required with that.

Last edited: