Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof rattle

C

Chris barr

Hi, we have a rattle/banging from the roof when driving, we think it maybe one of the struts, anyone else know of this?
Chris

I had a similiar experience, really sounded like the roof had a rattle, turned out to be the cowling on the awning, I wound it out a little and then back, sorts it out for a while, worked for me! good luck - wind your drivers window down,if it is the awning you'll soon be able to tell

Kevin

I had a rattle in the roof. It was the reading light touching the hatch and making the rattle. Have you tried opening the roof and closing again to see if that settles it.

Chris barr said:
Hi, we have a rattle/banging from the roof when driving, we think it maybe one of the struts, anyone else know of this?
Chris
Hi Chris . . I have just purchased a New California and I have got the same problem, it seems to be coming from the roof area above the Fridge, it is driving me Insane at the moment I'm on the verge of taking it back to the dealer, have you had any luck sorting your problem out ?
Regards Graham

I have also developed a roof rattle above the fridge. It feels like it is coming from the area where the plastic trim and wardrobe meet. I think it may be the NSR roof strut and will inspect tonight. I had a look at the technical manual and it doesn't look like there is anything else it could be. This isn't a trim rattle, but a good ol' clonking. Any other ideas would be welcomed please. Graham

Graham said:
I have also developed a roof rattle above the fridge. It feels like it is coming from the area where the plastic trim and wardrobe meet. I think it may be the NSR roof strut and will inspect tonight. I had a look at the technical manual and it doesn't look like there is anything else it could be. This isn't a trim rattle, but a good ol' clonking. Any other ideas would be welcomed please. Graham

Hi . . I have taken it back to VW now, on Thursday of last week, I couldn't put up with it any longer, every time I go over a drain cover or a pothole, BANG BANG !
It must be bad when the passengers say " What the hell is that " , I can't believe that they cant't find out what it is, I can't be the first person to complain it, I will keep you informed . . . Graham

Thanks. Just had a good look at the roof mechanism with the roof half up. I found a couple of small rubber grommets, one each side, laying in the roof channel. They must come from somewhere, but not obvious. There is scope for the levers to rattle at the connection between piston and back end of the fwd lever, but the mechanism also has a locking catch at that point. There is a chance the locking catch is misaligned as this can move under control of a grub screw. But when the roof is down it seems locked ok. The rattle is definitely nothing internal to the cab, the table or any of our stuff. I'm a bit lost now. Graham

it might be worth double checking the table as although it clicks in at the top there is also a locator pin on the bottom.
we had a similar loud bang when we picked ours up in march and although you think the table is locked in place ours wasnt secure at the bottom so now we push the bottom of the table in as we slide it back and now no more loud bangs
worth another look
dave and lisa :thumb

im pleased its NOT the table could be a roof rattle then :headwall
dave and lisa

Graham . . Did you have any Luck ?

I took my Cali in on Thursday, week before last, and picked it up on Tuesday just gone, and Guess What ? . . . It's no different, they said it was something to do with the Bed and the N/S Strut not being fully down, they lifted the Frame and pushed the Strut Down, tested it and was OK.

I'm gonna have a look today again myself, its booked in again on Tuesday, I'll keep you updated

Graham

Sorted . . .

I went and picked the Cali up on Friday from the VW Dealer, took her for a Test Drive drove over a few Potholes & Sunken Drain Covers and NO BANGING :D

The Report said the following:

INVESTED FOR REPORTED BANGING NOISE FROM ROOF AREA WHEN DRIVING OVER BUMPS - PADDED OUT ROOF FRAME ROLLER WITH FELT AS REQUIRED

I hope that this is of help to anybody with the same problem

Hi, sorry no Internet for a while, we took the Cali to the vw dealer and it turned out to be the roof support that was broken, banging from above the fridge, it has now been fixed.
Chris

I found a rubber grommet on the floor yesterday so started the hunt for where it had come from but no joy as yet. What I did notice was that the bed struts in the roof sit close to the frame and it looks like they have been rubbing. There is some felt tape on the end of the struts so I guess they know it's an issue.

C6corvette and Stu - any chance of a photo or two please? I'm having a senior moment and can't seem to visualise where respective felt pads are/ should be. Many thanks.

Graham,

The gas strut for the upper bed, top section where it fits to the bed base.

Tape.jpg

Tape1.jpg

Aha! Thanks very much. As soon as it stops raining for long enough I will give this a go.

Sorry to drag up an old post but we have this issue with our Cali

I want to try putting felt on the strut as others have done but I had no idea where to get sticky felt to do the job :sad

Can anyone point me in the right direction

Ta :D

It can be bought from dealers Mark. I'm away at the moment so can't get you the part number.

Well after about 5 minutes of very deep investigation I discovered the source of the knocking coming form the roof

It was the light :oops: :oops: :rofl :rofl :rofl

I had tucked it away (each time) with the flexible arm too close to the sliding roof :oops:

All sorted now :thumb

c6corvette said:
Sorted . . .

I went and picked the Cali up on Friday from the VW Dealer, took her for a Test Drive drove over a few Potholes & Sunken Drain Covers and NO BANGING :D

The Report said the following:

INVESTED FOR REPORTED BANGING NOISE FROM ROOF AREA WHEN DRIVING OVER BUMPS - PADDED OUT ROOF FRAME ROLLER WITH FELT AS REQUIRED

I hope that this is of help to anybody with the same problem

c6corvette
Could provide a photo or describe where they fitted the felt on the roof frame roller and the dealer you took it to.
Thanks