Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof not opening.

X

X77

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi,
I have a 2017 Ocean with an electric roof. Unfortunately the roof is not opening. when the open option is selected the control panel prompts, Note! Ignition on?, Vehicle Stationary?
The answer to both these is yes! The leisure battery's are full, the door is open, the handbreak is on, vehicle in neutral. There is no noise what so ever. There are also no fault codes in the "hidden" menu and I have tried turning the display off properly. Can anyone shed any light on the cause and how to solve it? I have also checked the 30 amp fuses under the seat.

Hi,
I have a 2017 Ocean with an electric roof. Unfortunately the roof is not opening. when the open option is selected the control panel prompts, Note! Ignition on?, Vehicle Stationary?
The answer to both these is yes! The leisure battery's are full, the door is open, the handbreak is on, vehicle in neutral. There is no noise what so ever. There are also no fault codes in the "hidden" menu and I have tried turning the display off properly. Can anyone shed any light on the cause and how to solve it? I have also checked the 30 amp fuses under the seat.
Further to the info above.
I have now disconnected the control panel and reconnected it. previously I had no faults. Now I have 3010, 4001,5001 and 6000. I believe they are sensors. Any idea on the locations of them and how to check them?
The roof still does not open!
Wich is the Escape button on the panel?

Further to the info above.
I have now disconnected the control panel and reconnected it. previously I had no faults. Now I have 3010, 4001,5001 and 6000. I believe they are sensors. Any idea on the locations of them and how to check them?
The roof still does not open!
Wich is the Escape button on the panel?
Bottom R button.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

I think the errors you see are common when you disconnect control panel and reconnect. They should all disappear when you do as @WelshGas suggests above. If it’s the roof sensors then it will still show error codes 1000, 1001, etc.
You must be able to open the roof to get at the roof sensors unfortunately.

Bottom R button.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +
Thanks for responding Welsh gas. Unfortunately I have tried all these things. Unfortunately I have now gone from my roof not opening and no error codes to my roof not opening and all the error codes. The error codes arose after disconnecting the control panel. I seem to be going from bad to worse as originally it was just my heating control that malfunctioned. It would not give hot air the drivers side. So far this seems to be in hand.

I have the issue where I had error code 1000 and the associated bongs everytime I drove. Roof still seemed to operate but I was reluctant to use it. Ordered the 4 BMW sensors recommend on this site and when they eventually arrived the roof now won't open. No sounds made when I try. I have the van going to an auto electrician tomorrow but does anyone know how to manually open the roof if required? For context I have a t5.1 UK van but it now lives in NZ.

To manually open the roof i would be trying this. Although never done it. Release the bleed screw on the pump behind the foam behind the panel. Wind it out as if lowering the roof for travel when it's stuck upwards. Now you will need some steps and preferably 2 people. One each side. Gently lift the roof and allow the hydraulic fluid to move out of the rams as you lift. Get ready with something to prop it up with. Bits of wood nd cloths etc.on your own pull up each side a few inches at a time and wedge it open. Once up tighten the bleed screw.

Thanks for responding Welsh gas. Unfortunately I have tried all these things. Unfortunately I have now gone from my roof not opening and no error codes to my roof not opening and all the error codes. The error codes arose after disconnecting the control panel. I seem to be going from bad to worse as originally it was just my heating control that malfunctioned. It would not give hot air the drivers side. So far this seems to be in hand.
If I recall that there are 2 connectors on the rear of the control panel and I’m pretty sure that the order in which they are removed and reconnected is important. Did you follow any guidance posts from the forum? If not might be worth having a search.

just had a look….. apparently when reconnecting you should connect the smaller plug first. If you don’t the panel doesn’t recognise the heater and it needs recoding.

Last edited:
To manually open the roof i would be trying this. Although never done it. Release the bleed screw on the pump behind the foam behind the panel. Wind it out as if lowering the roof for travel when it's stuck upwards. Now you will need some steps and preferably 2 people. One each side. Gently lift the roof and allow the hydraulic fluid to move out of the rams as you lift. Get ready with something to prop it up with. Bits of wood nd cloths etc.on your own pull up each side a few inches at a time and wedge it open. Once up tighten the bleed screw.
Thanks, I removed the control panel and can see the flat head screw through a small hole in the foam. Having read some other posts I note that they also mention the pump being behind the foam. However, the foam appears quite dense and it isn't obvious how to get to the pump. Is there a way to move it or would I have to remove all the roof lining? I'd like to be able to let the technicians at the garage know as much as possible as they almost definitely won't have worked on a Cali before.

Thanks, I removed the control panel and can see the flat head screw through a small hole in the foam. Having read some other posts I note that they also mention the pump being behind the foam. However, the foam appears quite dense and it isn't obvious how to get to the pump. Is there a way to move it or would I have to remove all the roof lining? I'd like to be able to let the technicians at the garage know as much as possible as they almost definitely won't have worked on a Cali before.
you have to tear a hole in the foam

Take a picture

Update on my roof issue. Took the Cali to the garage today and explained the situation to an intrigued technician. Showed them the extremely useful sensor replacement guide by Lambeth Cali and explained how to access and activate the motor using an outside power source. Returned a few hours later and was delighted that they had successfully lifted the roof and replaced the sensors. They reported that there was no way they could have lifted the roof by loosening the hydraulic screw and manually lifting as it was very heavy. Without the amazing people who post advice on this site I'd have been stuck. Thank you all!

Update on my roof issue. Took the Cali to the garage today and explained the situation to an intrigued technician. Showed them the extremely useful sensor replacement guide by Lambeth Cali and explained how to access and activate the motor using an outside power source. Returned a few hours later and was delighted that they had successfully lifted the roof and replaced the sensors. They reported that there was no way they could have lifted the roof by loosening the hydraulic screw and manually lifting as it was very heavy. Without the amazing people who post advice on this site I'd have been stuck. Thank you all!
Great news, could you advise which company you used and an approximate price for other users with similar issues.

Great news, could you advise which company you used and an approximate price for other users with similar issues.
I used Wrack Auto in Whāngarei, New Zealand. The local cost was $833 (around £415) not including the 4 new sensors which I ordered a wee while back.

I used Wrack Auto in Whāngarei, New Zealand. The local cost was $833 (around £415) not including the 4 new sensors which I ordered a wee while back.
Thanks for the update, that's a good price.
Enjoy your adventures!

Back