Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof hydraulics service point in the (north) UK

Deskman

Deskman

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I'm on day 12 of my 30-day holiday and landed in Torridon.
This morning my roof wouldn't lower, and the pump seemed to spin into thin air. In a creative attempt, I turned the van and parked it 'uphill' so the oil level would probably be a bit higher. That worked.

So let's look for a leak somewhere. And yes, there it was: pink drops around the left-side piston...

I don't think the leak is very large, so I can probably finish my trip if I can find a dealer to add some hydraulic oil.

Does anyone know of a dealer somewhere in this part of Scotland that is capable of helping me out? Probably not, because this is a job for experts. Even in Holland, there are only a few. That's why I'm asking it here.

I think Hawco in Inverness will be the closest Cali dealer to Torridon. Clark Commercials in Aberdeen the next closest.

I would suggest phoning ahead to confirm they can help. I have no experience of Hawco, but Clark Commercials are a big dealer and should be able to help.

Thanks!

I’ll try Hawco first. This is a very specific Cali job and there are some horror stories about ruined roof linings and hydraulic oil spills everywhere where you don’t want it.

Thanks!

I’ll try Hawco first. This is a very specific Cali job and there are some horror stories about ruined roof linings and hydraulic oil spills everywhere where you don’t want it.
Hawco are good, very helpful and reasonable.

Hello,

I Think I have the same issue.
By the pump spinning in thin air, do you mean this? (Video)
Thank you in advance

Yes, that sounds the same. However, mine only reached the air level at the very end of raising the roof.

I'm not sure, but when this already happens at the beginning, I think there is no oil at all or something wrong with the pump itself.

My left piston is leaking a little bit, and therefore the level was a bit too low. I managed to keep everything working by having the nose of the van rather up than down when parking. Back home, my dealer topped up the hydraulic fluid and repaired the piston.

I did not visit Hawco anymore for the roof.

Pump sounds expensive.
I will check the oil level first and add some if necessary.
I will report back here.
Thank you for the reply.

Back