Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing roof header

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Having popped the roof for the first time since September it smells fusty with mild mildew smell. It was very hot and dry when the roof was last open. There are no visible signs of a leak or stains. In Oct the van was leaking in the back window and it went in to be fixed. It sat in the dealers for 7 weeks waiting for a part. Before it went in it had a bit of mold appear on the chair storage hence the dealer looking and finding a leak in the back window. So I wonder if the high water content/ relative humidity in the van has somehow got into the roof fabrics. I have a iso top as well. I think the smell is worst in the pop top roof header .. not sure.

I cant smell any mildew in the van when the roof is down only when up. I took out the mattress this morning to see if it was that, but then I could smell the mildew in the van with the roof down, so the mattress is stopping the mildew smell coming into the cabin. I also had the top up for couple of hours each day in the hot sun in the last two days, which is not reducing the musty smell

This is the 1st winter for the van, Is it normal for the roof fabrics/area to smell fusty after a winter not being opened ? If so does it go away. I’m thinking of spraying a mild Milton solution onto the roof header fabrics and the canvas. I know Milton can be very effective at getting rid of that rotting clothes smell if you leave wet clothes in the washing machine, so figure it might work well to get rid of the fusty/ mild mildew smell. Any thoughts advice or alternative solutions would be very appreciated

I had an internal and external liner on my T6. Also months of no use (spine surgery and pups). But never noticed a smell in the roof.
I would hesitate before spraying chemicals on it. Maybe a few days with ventilation would help? Chemicals, unless approved by VW may affect your warranty. They may also degrade the fabric of the roof.

I was thinking a new van should not smell like this after it’s 1st winter, but it does, not sure what to do, don’t think ventilation is going to solve it, I will try when the weather gets warm again. If it won’t go away can the header fabric be replaced (top of sleeping area roof ) or any other fabrics, is it very expensive ?

We have mildew smell in the roof having not opened since September. I think it’s the upper roof. header that smells of it. We are thinking if we can’t get rid of the smell of replacing the header. Does anyone know if it’s a difficult job to replace it or has a guide to doing it. To be clear it’s the header above the pop to bed not the one in the cabin. Below is the post I sent about why it might smell if relevant

...... Having popped the roof for the first time since September it smells fusty with mild mildew smell. It was very hot and dry when the roof was last open. There are no visible signs of a leak or stains. In Oct the van was leaking in the back window and it went in to be fixed. It sat in the dealers for 7 weeks waiting for a part. Before it went in it had a bit of mold appear on the chair storage hence the dealer looking and finding a leak in the back window. So I wonder if the high water content/ relative humidity in the van has somehow got into the roof fabrics. I have a iso top as well. I think the smell is worst in the pop top roof header .. not sure.

I cant smell any mildew in the van when the roof is down only when up. I took out the mattress this morning to see if it was that, but then I could smell the mildew in the van with the roof down, so the mattress is stopping the mildew smell coming into the cabin. I also had the top up for couple of hours each day in the hot sun in the last two days, which is not reducing the musty smell

This is the 1st winter for the van, Is it normal for the roof fabrics/area to smell fusty after a winter not being opened ? If so does it go away. I’m thinking of spraying a mild Milton solution onto the roof header fabrics and the canvas. I know Milton can be very effective at getting rid of that rotting clothes smell if you leave wet clothes in the washing machine, so figure it might work well to get rid of the fusty/ mild mildew smell. Any thoughts advice or alternative solutions would be very appreciated

Removing the liner would be easy enough to do but
you would ruin it and then replacing it to factory standard
would be hard work.

I would remove the mattresses and store them in the house
for a few days and then lift the roof and see if it still smells musty,
if it does then i would try an upholstery cleaner on the roof fabric.

I took the mattress out for a while, it did not get less strong, in fact it then started smelling in the cabin for the first time. So don’t think it’s the mattress. I spoke to VW they do a whole headliner replacement part, so wonder if it just comes out in one go via body clips and then goes in easily.

I will try to clean in first

devi rassegnarti, l'odore di muffa non andrà mai via, devi sostituire il rivestimento del soffitto,

I took the mattress out for a while, it did not get less strong, in fact it then started smelling in the cabin for the first time. So don’t think it’s the mattress. I spoke to VW they do a whole headliner replacement part, so wonder if it just comes out in one go via body clips and then goes in easily.

I will try to clean in first
Have you removed the Isotop? Was roof canvas dry when last used and the Isotop?
I would remove mattress and Isotop and leave the roof up, with bed down and hatch open for a few days.

This is not a problem that I can find any mention of on the Forum. So you are the first.

The last time it was in wales last year, it was bucketing down, but had a wrap around calicap on, so thought it was dry, looked that way.

I do wonder looking at the roof when closed, there is a small void above the bed between each side of the canvas fold. The van was lived in for 4 weeks in Oct whilst it had a leak in the tailgate (mould formed in the tailgate) it was not driven at the time at all and the roof was not raised at all , the combination no air circulation, human condensation and the extra humidity due to the leak is a lot of water vapour.

I wonder if a this water vapour went up into that cold void of the space above the bed and between the bed and header and hence has made the header smell, it is the last point the air would meet before trying to get to the cold surface of the roof. If it’s ever slept in for a length of time in winter I would always put the roof up to allow for air to circulate in future.

Avoiding mildew is all about having air circulation, the van is designed to be driven and have the air circulate with the Pop top up

Best to find the source of the leak, and then the smell should go by itself. Sounds from your description like water somewhere in the tailgate is the cause and may have soaked the fabric in the tailgate. (Check any drain plugs are clear on the tailgate, can you hear any water if you gently shake the tailgate open/close). Check for any condensation on the windows as this will be a good indication of any moisture getting in.

If the headlining was damp you would most likely see a stain / watermark so doubt it’s this.