Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof height with awning rail/canopy

Scapa

Scapa

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi folks, can anyone tell me if the side awning sits above the roofline or not? Pictures on the brochure and web make it look like it sits slightly above roofline but hard to tell. I'm interested as the 2m roofline for parking is an important part of considering the Cali for daily use purposes. Thanks.

I'll try and have a look tomorrow, my drive slopes so difficult to accurately measure (also dark and wet out there now :sad). I took a tape measure when I collected mine as I was camping for a couple of days before heading home.

If I recall correctly I think the front was about 1.95m and the rear 1.98m. I noticed that most of the car parks on the Causeway Coast in NI were 1.98m according to the sign, but most looked low in the middle. Probably where kids had been swinging and doing chin-ups :upsidedown

I would not even think about going into anything less than 2.10m. I'll leave the measure in the Cali - just in case.

Andy

Thanks. Andy much appreciated. I'm on holiday myself just now and talked to a T5 camper owner who had just come in to beach parking area with a 2m barrier and he made it under ok but didn't have the awning/canopy and that's what made me think about clearance issues. Looked at Cali at a dealer where I'm on holiday, able to spend a few hours having a good look around, with no pressure sales being applied which was much appreciated. Just never thought to get up at roof level and check roofline height of awning :doh cheers

When I checked my pre-facelift model a while ago I found that the top of the awning was no higher than the highest point on the roof. I measured the max overall height as 1.99m

Thanks chrisandpenny that's good to know, keeps the awning in our can have options list. :thumb

ChrisandPenney52 said:
When I checked my pre-facelift model a while ago I found that the top of the awning was no higher than the highest point on the roof. I measured the max overall height as 1.99m

Same with me pre facelift and no problems, used a lot in france with the telepeage 2m barriers and no problems

John

Did a quick measure yesterday and the rear of the awning was 1.99m. It is about 3-4cm taller than the roof at this point as the roof slopes down at the back. Overall the awning does not look higher than the rest of the roof. Although the brochure does quote a maximum height of 1.95m so a little discrepancy there as it definitely higher than that.

I'd be very careful as the roof is very fragile (I'm waiting for a new one) and I wouldn't trust the sign at most car parks, e.g. due to the height of the road or how the posts have been fixed the actual height could be somewhat different to what the sign says. The motorway height restrictions are probably a little different and there may be a safety margin.

Andy

Thanks everyone for your contributions :thanks appreciate I can't trust every barrier is at the height described so would need to be very careful but still good to know with awning it would be at or just under 2m.

Heading down to the NEC end of the week to have a good look at all the conversion options before we make a final decision on what to go for :crazy At this point Cali looking favourite but we want to make sure we have considered everything before taking the plunge.

Goldie said:
Did a quick measure yesterday and the rear of the awning was 1.99m. It is about 3-4cm taller than the roof at this point as the roof slopes down at the back. Overall the awning does not look higher than the rest of the roof. Although the brochure does quote a maximum height of 1.95m so a little discrepancy there as it definitely higher than that.

I'd be very careful as the roof is very fragile (I'm waiting for a new one) and I wouldn't trust the sign at most car parks, e.g. due to the height of the road or how the posts have been fixed the actual height could be somewhat different to what the sign says. The motorway height restrictions are probably a little different and there may be a safety margin.

Andy

Ooh sounds nasty! My 2010 brochure says the height is 1.995m. It also says that height can be +/- 20mm depending on equipment.

ChrisandPenney52 » Today, 20:36

Goldie wrote:

Andy

Ooh sounds nasty! My 2010 brochure says the height is 1.995m. It also says that height can be +/- 20mm depending on equipment.

Rest assured I didn't drive into a car park height restriction barrier - my Cali came with the damaged roof and is due to get a new one. Just re-read the 2012 & 2013 brochure and you are correct - height is 1.995m which ties in with my measurement - need to wear the reading glasses more. :doh

Andy

Back