Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof entry pull across blind opening itself

Which dealers have you had bad experience with this issue from?

Yep, mine been replaced. Worked for a short period then started opening again although not as bad as previously. Mine seems to be better with the ISO TOP in place.

calicasas said:
Yep, mine been replaced. Worked for a short period then started opening again although not as bad as previously. Mine seems to be better with the ISO TOP in place.

ditto but an expensive solution :eek:

Mine used to do this, but it seems to have fixed itself.

It is certainly an alignment issue - now that it is staying closed, you can feel it click into place, and it wasn't doing that before. I am quite gentle with it, as I have to tuck all the isotop material out of the way, but it is worth jiggling it about a bit in the hope of getting it back into alignment.

Simon

Mine has just started doing this in the last few days.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

We've been having this problem a lot. But last time we had the roof up, when we closed it I made an extra-special effort to fold the bellows fabric in smoothly & flat before pulling the shutter across, and it didn't come open at all on a 250-mile trip. Could have been my extra-smooth driving style, though - usually OH drives.

Mine was replaced twice under warranty with no improvement, now replaced a third time with latest mod which I understand involves replacing runners in bed making overall width slightly narrower thus forcing the cover forwards, now perfect even up hill on rough tracks.

I also had the new runners fitted around the roof opening, one of a final list of repairs before my warranty runs out in a fortnight. They're narrower than the original and I'm pleased to say that it's a tight fit and holds the sliding roof cover in firmly.

Yes, this happens on my new Cali (May 2013). I think it's caused by having extra fabric from the fitted Isotop, but can't be sure until I get round to pushing the blind back and rearranging the fabric. I don't see it as a major issue as it only opens a bit.

I've sorted this out absolutely now, by rolling up a small piece of transparent plastic non-slip shelf liner, and slipping it in between the closing edge of the shutter and the bed base. Because it's a bit sticky and non-slip, it holds the shutter in place and doesn't fall out. It's only small and squashy do doesn't do any damage. Just take it out to open the shutter, & put it back afterwards.

I appreciate that some people might think this is a bit of a lash-up, but I'd rather do a simple fix than keep taking the van back to the dealers to get the roof replaced.

We got our new Cali this spring & for the first 3000km, the always-opening blind drove us crazy.
It seemed to need shutting every few minutes.
I read here & on the French forum all about jamming it with credit cards & gluing in Velcro, and was about to try some or all of those fixes.

But then I looked more closely at it & I found there was in fact a small but powerful clip built in...
rib_zpsf29d8588.jpg

Further trials showed me that most of my hundreds of previous efforts at closing the blind had not, in fact, pushed it past this clip.
I now know that I need to line it up carefully & push HARD, when it closes with a distinct click & has NEVER come open in the last 10000km.

These photos show the blind pushed "closed" normally (6mm) & really snapped closed (4mm).
6mm_zpsece07f13.jpg
4mm_zps96792da7.jpg

I really recommend that you check this carefully, before adopting other lash-up fixes!

Attachments

• rib_zpsf29d8588.jpg
    rib_zpsf29d8588.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 4mm_zps96792da7.jpg
    4mm_zps96792da7.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 6mm_zpsece07f13.jpg
    6mm_zpsece07f13.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 6
I think this clip must be unique to your van, because I've tried (since reading your post) every possible way of closing it - it fits in as tight as yours, but there's no click, and it just comes open again as usual.

So back to my 'lash-up', which I'm perfectly happy with.

Thank you for the insight on the clip. I too have tried but does not work. Looking at my clip I think it may have worn despite being careful! It has been replaced once by VW under warranty, but I have to say though that you can't help feeling that VW created a bit of a lash up when they designed this closure. I hope they rectify this on any new potential model.

Last one we repaired we replaced the runners that the cover slides in as they had cracked and this has solved the issue.

cheers

2CV67 said:
But then I looked more closely at it & I found there was in fact a small but powerful clip built in...

Further trials showed me that most of my hundreds of previous efforts at closing the blind had not, in fact, pushed it past this clip.
I now know that I need to line it up carefully & push HARD, when it closes with a distinct click & has NEVER come open in the last 10000km.

These photos show the blind pushed "closed" normally (6mm) & really snapped closed (4mm).
6mm_zpsece07f13.jpg
4mm_zps96792da7.jpg

I really recommend that you check this carefully, before adopting other lash-up fixes!

This is absolutely right. I also doubted that my Cali had a lip which holds the sliding cover in tight but it does. As 2CV6 says you need to push the cover in with some force to get it to slot in firmly.

I've had my van for 3 years and in all that time had never known to push the cover in that firmly !

So to all those folks faffing about with Velcro and credit cards ... don't bother. Just use a bit more pressure to push the cover forward than you normally would.

Attachments

• 6mm_zpsece07f13.jpg
    6mm_zpsece07f13.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 4mm_zps96792da7.jpg
    4mm_zps96792da7.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 6
I'll give this another try. But it's a bit crazy that this should be a 'secret skill' that only the initiated few know!

Thanks.
I will certainly give it another go...
The dealer I dealt with didn't seem to know this (nor did I) and went on to replace the runners/frame that guides the cover.
Certainly makes no mention in the users handbook.

:p

Ours does the same. New blind fitted under guarantee but still opens. VW dealer says 'yes it seems to be a problem lots of owners have' mmmm!

Mine was replaced under warranty & have had no problems since.

I also had the blind and runners replaced under warranty and to date all is working.

We had a new one under warranty and it seems ok now. How long it will last is anyone's guess. I don't know why there wasn't a decent latch on it by design.

ejmoore said:
I think this clip must be unique to your van, because I've tried (since reading your post) every possible way of closing it - it fits in as tight as yours, but there's no click, and it just comes open again as usual.

So back to my 'lash-up', which I'm perfectly happy with.

This must be a mod. for later calls as mine doesn't have this clip, i now use a piece of velcro and it works fine.

John

May I ask, how have you fitted the velcro?

On leading edge of the sliding roof panel, and into the slot that the panel slides into, i used araldite epoxy resin for fixing the velcro.

John