Roof closing unevenly

• Thread starter Barrington Caldbar
  • Start date
B

Barrington Caldbar

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
The roof on my 6.1 has started to close left side before the right side when looking from the front. The difference is about an inch or just over. I am pretty sure that it closed evenly before.
There is also an intermittent creaking above my head which sounds like it could be the roof mechanism.
The sound of the control panel also goes bit high pitched at the end.
I went over a bump in the road at an angle, front wheels left side before right which I think may be related to these issues.
The roof closes fully but I am concerned that over time the mechanism may be compromised.
Since purchase last September I have been more than careful to ensure the van is level before opening and closing as well as ensuring ventilation.
Any experience of this?

A quick spray of Silicone on the bellows mechanical parts

A quick spray of Silicone on the bellows mechanical parts
I'd use PTFE spray rather than silicone. Also make sure that there is nothing getting trapped in the mechanism and that there is nothing on the mattress.

Hi BC, both our Californias have over the years had days when the roof closes ‘unevenly’ with no particular long term issues. As long as it’s not much more than an inch or two don’t think you need to worry. If the roofs up a few days one side or other can sag a little (lose tension) or if you are parked on a slope or up on ramps this can have an effect, again if only a couple inches off level not particularly unusual. If at any time you are a little concerned while lowering just stop half way down and then put it fully back up to full tension then bring it down again should be pretty square at that point. Re the high pitched noise at end if raising and lowering this is normal if it’s the hydraulic pump you are referring to.

Ours closes a bit unevenly too. It’s happening on perfectly even ground. The vans going in soon for another small issue, so I think I’ll get this looked at too. I’m sure the workshop will say its within normal parameters some how.

All 3 of my Californias roofs have come down unevenly, as long as we are talking a few inches difference I don't think it matters.

Just happened to me this week, it even didn't fully closed after all. Pushed it it up again and closed after that. According to other users it happens.