Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Blind

M

McMeefia

Hi we're new to the Cali thang but have just bought our face-lift '10 plate van and are lovin' it :D My question is does anyone else have the problem of the blind above the drivers seat creeping open during transit? We've tried ensuring the roof canvas is smoothed away perfectly and also tried it a bit ruffled in order to provide some resistance to the 'blind slide' but nothing seems to stop that darned gap from appearing!

Many thanks,
Cathy

This is one of the well-known Cali Quirks.
(Like the ridiculous tap and the blinds that won't stay down)

The little lip/catch in the middle at the front is not big enough to always keep the sliding roof panel locked forward - especially when you hit a Glasgow pothole.
And the lip soon wears and then it never stays locked - even on smooth roads.
I tried building the lip up with a little araldite and it worked fine for a month.

We now usually just use a bus ticket, folded a few times and placed just to the right of the worn lip. Works perfectly when you learn just how hard to jam the sliding roof panel over it.

My younger son borrowed the Cali for a festival he was playing way down south and we currently use his luminous orange access-all-areas pass for jamming the panel because it's just the right thickness. And when we lose it in the dark we can easily find it.

Hope this helps.

B
ps we also tried a small piece of gaffer tape which worked fine for about a half dozen goes and then wore through and was ripped off.

I found some reasonably thick self adhesive fabric tape (sort of like squash racquet handle stuff) loafing in the garage and suck 3 short strips to the leading edge of the cover. It isn't visible and it works really well.

Ah, so good to hear it's a quirk...somehow easier to handle that than thinking it's broken! Problem has been fixed with a laminated business card - thanks guys!!
Cathy & Matt (and the mini Mees)