Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 Nav, Bluetooth & MDI Media Interface Installed

S

Stu

Guest User
Well today has been a pretty busy day for the Cali, it has now gained a shiny new RNS510 Navigation Unit, OEM Bluetooth and OEM Media Interface.

Very pleased with the Bluetooth Unit, it's one of the newer UHV & rSAP combined units so suits pretty much every phone you could think of. I've fitted lots of VW OEM kits in the past and they do seem to be getting pretty good now.

It's nice to be back with my old friend the RNS510, one of the best OEM nav units ever. My Audi has the top of the range MMI 3G which was a £2k option when I ordered the car, subsequent map updates are £400 and to be honest it is utter crap for navigation - Woefully out of date.

The MDI is a great bit of kit for running your music from but also makes an excellent phone charger.

I hope to put together a little bit of a guide for anyone thinking of carrying out the install themselves but in the meantime here are a couple of teasers -

DashInsertPhoneDisplay.jpg

RNS510Phone.jpg

RNS510MDI.jpg

RNS510Parking.jpg

RNS510Sound.jpg

Looks a great bit of kit stu :thumb :thumb far to complicated for me though :rofl :rofl

Kev it's one of those devices which has been quite well thought out. even without reading the manual you can find your way around the intuitive menu's.

Well done you !

When I got my Cali I had the 510 as a factory option, very expensive but I wanted the best for my long road trips.

Lots of messing round at the dealer re the iPod lead, managed to get them to finally fit the MDI but had to get Hazy Dazy to fit the Bluetooth.

Comes with Europe west maps. Europe east maps can be got from dealers in Europe.

Great kit and mapping and directions superb.....

Thanks.

I have had a couple of RNS510 before so there was no question of not having one in the Cali, I just wish Audi could offer the same levels of mapping accuracy (both are Navteq). Just installing an RNS510 is a 10 minute job, the Bluetooth and MDi took a little longer as it was quite difficult to find somewhere to mount the units. The factory parts list show the Bluetooth mounted under the glove box but I couldn't make it fit in anyway at all.

I have V8 (7672) Western Europe maps installed on the Hard Drive and Firmware 3890 which isn't the latest but I don't think there are any significant changes from 3890 to 4020.

3890 will allow you to upload POI's such as speed camera's from the SD cards. :thumb

Now that looks very nice :grin:

I like the Audi/VW RNS units they are like you say very intuitive - can you put the full post code in on that unit or does it miss out the last digit like the Audi one's do?

These are full 7 digit postcode Mark, another one of my gripes with Audi :headwall

Stu....on my 510 you cannot put the full postcode in, just the first bit and then the number but not the following letters.

Mine is a 2010 unit....

A map update and possibly firmware will sort that for you :thumb

Stu....how do you obtain and install a firmware update ?

Thanks....Stu....

Hi Stu - is there an improvement in sound quality with the 510 compared to the standard head unit? - that would be my main reason for installing so it would have to be significant!

If there is, could you describe it?

Many thanks

Ian

A safe level of FW for your unit should be 2680 or above, below is a link to 2760 -

RNS 510 2760 FW

All you have to do is download the file. Open the .Rar file and when it extracts you will be left with a .NRG file. Burn this file to disc ensuring you create a disc from the image and not a data disc. Best programs to use are Windows - Nero or IMGBurn and Mac - Toast. If you have any of those installed right click on the .NRG, select open with and then click the burning program. This will put it all ready for you to put a disc in and burn away.

Now some people will say use DVD, some will say Use CD. It really does depend on how fussy your drive is. Most will be happy with either. The things to remember are.

Where possible use a decent disc - Verbatim, TDK, Sony etc.
Burn the disc as slow as possible - Usually 2x speed
Ensure you verify the disc afterwards
DVD+R/DVD-R & CD-R are fine don't use RW discs

So you now have your Firmware disc. Now it's time to update. Please follow the instructions below to ensure it runs smoothly.

1 - Get in the car and turn on the nav - DO NOT PUT THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION
2 - Insert the disc into the Nav.
3 - It will cycle through a few checks and then you will be presented with a screen that tells you about the software and asks you to press OK or Cancel. Press OK. You will then get another screen saying the firmware will be updated are you sure. Select OK again. This process can take around 2-3mins.
4 - The Nav will now update. It takes around 50 mins, at the end you should see a screen that says 'success'.

IanE said:
Hi Stu - is there an improvement in sound quality with the 510 compared to the standard head unit? - that would be my main reason for installing so it would have to be significant!

If there is, could you describe it?

Many thanks

Ian

Ian

Yes I think there is a better quality sound, for a start the RNS510 has Dolby DTS surround :thumb

Describing it might be difficult other than to say it has a nice full sound which is quite adjustable. I think the thing to remember is you're in a van so it's never going to be Cinema sound.

Crikey - didn't know about the DTS function - surround sound movies in your van! Whatever next! :)

surround sound movies in your van! Whatever next! :)

Yep I plug my laptop into the aux in & watch movies in the van when I'm away, sounds great !

This is way over my head guys , but it all sounds good to me :)

Stu now you need a copy of Poinspector & you can then add your own POIs & Speed Camera database via SD card.

http://poinspect0r.blogspot.co.uk/

I have UK campsites & speed cameras on mine. Had motorhome aires & Europe campsites when I went to Spain & Portugal.
Only drawback is that you get no warning of speed cameras, they just show on the screen.

I find that the 510 even handles those Italian on/off slip roads that make you feel dizzy and disorientated really well.......

Stu, not yet. Will check what FW I have later then burn the later one to disc...

Well reading all this has inspired me to stop dithering - finally ordered the pioneer f930bt that I've been drooling over for ages.
Being a classic cali the can bus doesn't support the reversing sensor and air con screens but i can live with that.
Won't have time to get it installed for our jubilee hols which is a shame but serves me right for procrastinating for so long!

Whoopee my sat nav arrived today - £550 and the courier left it on my doorstep all day :shocked :censor

Going away for the jubilee weekend so no time to get it installed boo hoo.
Wish i'd pulled my finger out earlier.

Back