Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS 510 Sat Nav Update

James Parkin

James Parkin

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

I’ve been speaking to JCT as I want to update my RNS 510 Sat Nav. They say they only offer a Western Europe Sat Nav upgrade. I’m going to Croatia with the van among other countries later this year and Croatia isn’t included in this list.
Apparently they don’t supply other countries with the RNS 510 like Russia etc.
They do for the RNS 315 though.
Can anyone advise if this is the case? If so seems a bit daft having a built-in Sat Nav for a campervan which is so limited.

Cheers,
James

I’m of the understanding that the RNS 510 is a superior model to the 315 so I don’t understand why it would be limited to just Western Europe ... I could be wrong.

You can get update maps for both Europe West & Europe East on eBay. A lot cheaper than from VW

Hi all,

I’ve been speaking to JCT as I want to update my RNS 510 Sat Nav. They say they only offer a Western Europe Sat Nav upgrade. I’m going to Croatia with the van among other countries later this year and Croatia isn’t included in this list.
Apparently they don’t supply other countries with the RNS 510 like Russia etc.
They do for the RNS 315 though.
Can anyone advise if this is the case? If so seems a bit daft having a built-in Sat Nav for a campervan which is so limited.

Cheers,
James
They do supply them. I've seen them.
Also available, working copies, from 3rd Parties. So the Original came from VW.

https://www.latestsatnav.co.uk/late...swagen-rns510810-v15-navigation-dvd-167-p.asp

You can get update maps for both Europe West & Europe East on eBay. A lot cheaper than from VW

Thanks for the reply. I don’t understand why JCT are saying that the RNS 510 only has a Western Europe upgrade though.
Is it a case of just buying the discs and inserting them in the radio, even second-hand?
Cheers.

I've used a disk from these suppliers and it worked fine.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t understand why JCT are saying that the RNS 510 only has a Western Europe upgrade though.
Is it a case of just buying the discs and inserting them in the radio, even second-hand?
Cheers.
Yes, but you can use it from the DVD itself so that may be better than overwriting the original map data on the Hard Drive which takes some time, upto an hour +.

Cheers.

Yes, you get the CD and load it into the units hard drive, easy.

I have had both West & East disks since my Cali was new in 2010, and got updates for both off eBay last year. All good & cheap.

Cheers.
Western Europe is on V15, Eastern Europe on V13.
They appear to be numpties.

Yes, but you can use it from the DVD itself so that may be better than overwriting the original map data on the Hard Drive which takes some time, upto an hour +.
Cheers mate. I’ll try this, thanks for the shout.

Back