Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Risk of theft for a Cali

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just received an email which reports how thieves can easily obtain a copy of your keys without having an original or breaking into the van.
All they have to do (it says) is to take a note of your Vin number and go to a dealer and ask for a new set of keys. Dealer apparently supplies them without checking and they return to your van ,open it up and drive off.
The Vin number on a Cali is clearly visible through the front wind screen at the bottom.
The sender says that he has tried this out with his own car and was offered a new key set straight away!

How accurate this email is I'm not sure but I have taken the pre caution of putting a postit note over the Vin number on my front windscreen.
Better safe than sorry!

Hi,

Thankfully this is not correct. To order a new key from a VW dealer they would need to supply the logbook of the vehicle and either a passport or photocard driving licence before it is ordered. To order it also requires payment in full up front. Once ordered it can take up to ten working days to arrive. Then, the key has to be programmed to the vehicle so they wouldn't be able to walk up to it and just drive away in your vehicle.

If you do ever lose a key, get the vehicle to a VW van centre and get the remaining key re-programmed to the vehicle. This will automatically then stop any other key from starting it.

cheers

Alex,
Thanks very much for answering David's e-mail so promptly.
I am sure that your reply will dispel any fear which members might have felt were they to receive a similar e-mail or read the story elsewhere.
Luke

Thank you Alex, that's nice to know... I'll remove the postit note.
Sorry to raise a hare
David

Back