Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retirement

Beware of the Cali tempatation.
I retired just over four years ago vowing to do the long overdue decorating and sort the garden out.
Unfortunatley for the decorating and gardening the Cali was too much of a lure so only just getting round to decorating. Garden is still a jungle but who cares, I'm having fun.
Seriously I find the biggest advantage is being able to do things in when you want to rather than having to fit it in around work.

I work as a computer consultant, I help smaller companies with their network needs, servers, backup etc.
I just lost my biggest customer (stands for 50% of my time) and now I will have much more spare time (and less money). It's like a small retirement at 43yo :) I look forward at smaller trips in the california by myself.

We both retired from teaching twelve years ago at the age of 55. We took the hit in terms of reduced pensions but have never regretted it. Paid off the mortgage and immediately went on the trip of a lifetime to Australia and New Zealand. Worked part-time for next seven years - I, collecting and delivering BMWs all over the UK, and my wife as a supervisor at the CAB. Totally enjoyable, no pressure and it just about paid the bills.
Just over five years ago a legacy (we spent several years caring for elderly parents) allowed us to buy our first Cali - we visited fourteen countries in the first twelve months.
We are now lucky to be receiving our state pensions. My wife still does voluntary work at the CAB but, after retiring from a hefty rugby coaching commitment, I found I needed to fill a gap. So, bought a black lab puppy - best decision I ever made. He gets me up every morning and gives me two hours exercise every day. He loves the Cali and has crossed the channel six times.
Six grandchildren, a big garden and a dog more than fill the time between trips.
BUT, another decision looms....my wife's sciatica and my knee replacements mean that it's no longer so easy to hop upstairs in the Cali or to put out/pack away drive-away awning. So, we're thinking of selling our beloved Cali next year and (if finances permit) buying a California Grand. I'm well aware that the increased height and length will restrict the flexibility that we've enjoyed with our Calis but I hope that the Grand will extend our camping careers.
I met yet another friend this morning who has just discovered that he is suffering from cancer so we are more determined than ever to get out there and enjoy life.

Last edited:
Beware of the Cali tempatation.
I retired just over four years ago vowing to do the long overdue decorating and sort the garden out.
Unfortunatley for the decorating and gardening the Cali was too much of a lure so only just getting round to decorating. Garden is still a jungle but who cares, I'm having fun.
Seriously I find the biggest advantage is being able to do things in when you want to rather than having to fit it in around work.
The old saying "why bother to do today what can be put off until tomorrow" seems to fit in very well with the California life style. The garden isn't going to go anywhere and decorating is tedious chore. :thumb

I’m retired and bought a Cali in 2013. Life is great. I travel in it for at least three months annually on the continent. Much nicer in the sun. It’s wonderful to have for the music festivals I love here in Ireland. Now I can go to many as i’m free and don’t have the expense of booking and staying in B&Bs. During the winter the Cali goes in to storage while I spend four months in Thailand. Not buying heating or electricity pays for that easily. The remaining months are busy with Women’s Shed, Art Films, University of the third age, Yoga, walks, reading, theatre, visiting other areas etc etc. It’s a wonderful life. Hope it lasts

Im retired at 56yrs as of July . When I went on the pre retirement course they said you need to have a plan and a goal of what you want to achieve as your now stuck with the other half 24/7 !,
I would have to agree and my plan is still being hatched and the reality is I am just transitioning from it feels like Im on holiday to actually this is the new paradigm.

I have stopped rushing around and ordered my cali which Im gearing up for 2019 and beyond. The main benefit so far is I can already tell Im likely to live longer with the stress of a professional job lifting, no matter how much you try to manage it you really cant avoid. I have been contacted for new opportunities but im not going there, if I live as long as my parents I have 4 - 10 years left. My message is if you can then do it, dont live for tomorrow like my folks did as it never comes.

The window is actually quite small, my MIL is 80 and was very switched on and active yet she is now very reticent to go places and has moved to paper and slippers phase. Im banking on being in the same place in my 70,s

My plans so far are do the cali thing and get out and about more - never done it before so go for it or sell it if its not for me. Do some tinkering / restoration work as i enjoy it. Get out and about on my motorbike and in my porsche to events. Support the other half who runs a small part time horse business which pays the donkey bills and do some house maintenance. Visit my sister in OZ again and so on.

Reading the views of the more experienced ! retirees in this thread two things struck me. Firstly they are having a ball and secondly 56yrs isnt really that early. I have yet to meet a retiree in my circle that has regretted it.

There is a men's shed where I volunteer but it's strictly men only. Didn't know you can women's sheds.

I'm bemused by the reaction to my Oh retiring. Everyone keeps saying he'll be bored, no chance.