Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement Leisure Battery for T5 - which ones should I purchase?

F

Freeway123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Afternoon everyone

My question has probably been asked many times and probably loads of answers but I will ask again for some advice.

Our 2012 T5 California is fitted with two leisure batteries both fitted at the the same time 12/2019. (HLB678). I have been externally charging them before our trips but have noticed whist they charge up that within c6 hours of fridge use (setting 3), the control panel goes to less than 70% and then a short time later there is no leisure battery symbol available just a flashing sign and zero reading. I think the batteries are shot. I have inspected them and one has a very low green light the other nothing.

I would like to replace them but with what and something a bit better! The batteries were installed we bought the van and fitted with HLB678 batteries.

Should I replace with the same, if available or is there a better product out there? We are hoping that just using the fridge and internal lights and charging our phones the battery life will be 4 + days before a recharge is required.

We also have a plug in external solar panel when required but where we have parked we have been unable to source good sunlight!

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards
Adrian

IMG_2435.jpg

Hi
Many thanks for the advice

Your battery in the picture is the wrong one, and could explain why you have those problems. You should buy Varta LA80 (as above) or equivalent (AGM, 80Ah, 800A, 315x175mm height:190mm)

Go on Tayna.co.uk and type in the details. Your T5 has actual leisure batteries by the look of it. The Varta LA80 recommended above is an AGM stop start battery that VW put on my T6. Don’t use a AGM battery if they didn’t put one on it originally. They are different and the chargers are specific.

Go on Tayna.co.uk and type in the details. Your T5 has actual leisure batteries by the look of it. The Varta LA80 recommended above is an AGM stop start battery that VW put on my T6. Don’t use a AGM battery if they didn’t put one on it originally. They are different and the chargers are specific.
I made an assumption that the batteries in your T5 are original but it just occurred to me that they may not be and the wrong ones could of been fitted in the past, I haven’t seen anyone post a picture on here before of an actual leisure battery. It’s usually the Varta LA80.

Many thanks all for your advice. I will visit the Tanya site and obtain the correct ones.