Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations: down quilts

B

BwobsCampervan

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I'm looking for recommendations on compact bedding such as down quilts or down camping blankets. But there are so many from camping brands to cheap Amazon alternatives and I would like get info from real users rather than website reviews. I'm looking for something warm enough to use in UK spring and autumn in the van pop top, but that is highly compressible and easy to pack down small.

I’m a big fan of Alpkit stuff, for quality and value. Down is expensive, and arguably not very ethical. I’ve heard good reports of camel hair duvets, but have no personal experience of them. I’m assuming camels survive the hair harvesting process…

I'm looking for recommendations on compact bedding such as down quilts or down camping blankets. But there are so many from camping brands to cheap Amazon alternatives and I would like get info from real users rather than website reviews. I'm looking for something warm enough to use in UK spring and autumn in the van pop top, but that is highly compressible and easy to pack down small.
We have Hungarian goose down double size duvet from John Lewis. 10.5 tog winter, 4.5 tog summer. Never been cold. Packs up tiny.

We have Hungarian goose down double size duvet from John Lewis. 10.5 tog winter, 4.5 tog summer. Never been cold. Packs up tiny.
Totally agree, you can’t beat Hungarian goose down.

I have the 10.5 + 4.5 tog of this, which is 100% down. The John Lewis ones are only 90% down and a lot more expensive:
And made in the UK :thumb

100% Hungarian goose down is the way to go together with a true baffle construction. I got mine from Pacific Coast in the USA and has been one of the best bedding purchases.

100% Hungarian goose down is the way to go together with a true baffle construction. I got mine from Pacific Coast in the USA and has been one of the best bedding purchases.
The one I have above is a baffle box design :)

Totally agree, you can’t beat Hungarian goose down.

I have the 10.5 + 4.5 tog of this, which is 100% down. The John Lewis ones are only 90% down and a lot more expensive:
And made in the UK :thumb
Thanks for the suggestion. How much does the 10.5 tog one pack down? How do you carry/store it? The Alpkit one (all be it a single size) mentioned above goes in a stuff sack.

Thanks for the suggestion. How much does the 10.5 tog one pack down? How do you carry/store it? The Alpkit one (all be it a single size) mentioned above goes in a stuff sack.
You do have the Parking Heater that can be used 24/7 if needed.

You do have the Parking Heater that can be used 24/7 if needed.
Problem is I have Raynaud's so am cold all the time, if the heater is on then the other half will be far too hot. Though we do use the heater to warm up the van on a cold morning! Thought we could get different tog single quilts/camping blankets to even it out. But also storage is rather tight as we have my wheelchair in the van too.

Problem is I have Raynaud's so am cold all the time, if the heater is on then the other half will be far too hot. Though we do use the heater to warm up the van on a cold morning! Thought we could get different tog single quilts/camping blankets to even it out. But also storage is rather tight as we have my wheelchair in the van too.
Sleeping bags are considerably warmer than covers , if u get a quality four seasons sleeping bag it will out perform any quilt, the OH won’t be affected by the heat you generate.
I seldom take a sleeping bag in the van as I get far too hot.

Have you considered a heated throw? They use less power than you may think.

We went for wool fibre duvets, a 4 tog for summer (spring and autumn) and a 10 tog for winter. Wool is pretty good at regulating your temperature. They don’t compress massively, but we can still fit the summer duvets and pillows in the wardrobe cupboard.

We went for wool fibre duvets, a 4 tog for summer (spring and autumn) and a 10 tog for winter. Wool is pretty good at regulating your temperature. They don’t compress massively, but we can still fit the summer duvets and pillows in the wardrobe cupboard.
I hadn't considered a wool duvet. Thanks I will take a look.

I recently bought a camel hair duvet. Amazing as it regulates heat in winter and is cool in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The night owl duvet is good - comes with a drawstring bag and squashes down pretty small - also washable. We find it warm enough all year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say about half the size of a regular duvet. Personally, I don’t like to compact it too much and use one of these bags that sits on the rear shelf during the day.

At the extreme end of the market - but I've been using this in autumn/winter for the past couple of years and it has been excellent

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/vela-20-double-down-quilt/

Coldest I've used it was -7c in the poptop in the Cairngorms last year and I had a tshirt on (I tend to leave the parking heater on 1 or 2 overnight in winter to keep the water tanks from freezing but that has no effect in the upper bed) - so it definitely lives up to it's manufacturer rating.

Packs down very small too. It is expensive and will be too warm for most people's use cases but I thought it was worth mentioning.

We have good-quality three-season down sleeping bags which are fine all winter; if it's very cold we may put a light summer single duvet over our feet; if it's warmer we unzip the bags & use them like duvets but with feet in the bottom bit. We always sleep in the roof bed.
All the bedding inc pillows stuffs into the wardrobe.

John Lewis Mulberry Silk duvet tog 7, packs very small, works really well. We use down at home, but this is a different league for size.

Just purchased a 2x full Duvaley set from this forum, Comes with the Freshtec mattress (4cm) and both 4tog and 10.5tog. The 4 togs rolls up really compact, the 10.5 Tog is larger, but as a combination of Mattress, Duvet and sheet etc they are still very compact. Both easily fit in the overhead storage of my California with room for another 2 Nightowl Duvets, 4 pillows and Spare Blankets + an outside table.

Packs small, we took it on motorcycle camping tour. However if you fold it and put it on the back shelf with stuff on top, it basically disappears altogether.

Back