Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recipe ideas??

emma harvey

emma harvey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I’m looking for some inspiration for some new recipe ideas!! 2 adults and 2 fussy kids, one is sort of veggie but will eat beef and macdonalds!!

We've recently taken to doing a snack thing on the bbq grill. Two tortillas sandwiched together with a filling of your choice: Cheese, onion, rose harissa, pesto, Thai red curry paste, ham. Anything you like really. Cook them at the lowest heat on both sides so everything melts.

It's not going to tick your five a day, but it's good fun and great with a summer beer. Posh cheese on toast if you will.

Other than that the family might like this. Obviously chilli to taste

I'd be interested in what you already cook as we have the same issue! - difficult to make different options with a cadac and a jetboil! Goodness knows what we will do when we go to Wales for 2 weeks in the summer. I'll list below what we tend to have
Sausage pasta/bacon pasta
Burgers in buns with potatos/salad
Wraps filled and then toasted in ridgemonkey - sometimes tuna and cheese but also pizza wraps with tomato puree and different toppings
Camp curry - jar sauce, chicken and tinned veg!
Jambalaya

I can't think what else we do!! but we try for one pot stuff where possible

Spaghetti Carbonara in the Cadac was ours' and the kids' (9 and 7) favourite with another ring to boil the spaghetti.

Until we got the Cadac pizza stone this year.

We use Lidl pre-made pizza bases along with squeezey tomato puree and choice of cheeses. They fit the 40cm Cadac stone perfectly. This is a camping game changer. Last weekend we fed 7 hungry people with 5 pizzas, each with different toppings keeping everyone happy. The pizzas take 10 mins each to cook, and no-one felt like they were waiting around for food.

We've tried Aldi roll-out bases, and home made, and Tesco, but we liked Lidl ones the best and not much faff. We've also tried pitta bread bases which can work well.

We have the Grillo Chef which is the mid sized 40cm version.

Last edited:
You can make pies in the ridge monkey. Easy to do, limited mess and you can change the fillings.

Slow-cooker on EHU and BBC Good Food 'One-Pot Dishes' covers lots of choices.

We've tried Aldi roll-out bases, and home made, and Tesco, but we liked Lidl ones the best and not much faff. We've also tried pitta bread bases which can work well.

We use naan breads as a quick pizza base, usually the garlic ones.

One of the problems I find is carrying enough herbs and spices to get flavour in to dishes. I now carry a stock of ‘SimplyCook’ packs. They have a number of one pot type recipes availability and are quick and easy to use. I tend to cook them outside on a Gas Cobb bbq. Www.simplycook.com

Back