Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear swivel seats hard to rotate

A

atex949

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Does anyone know how to strip down the single rear swivel seats for t6, same seats as caravelle or t6.1 on rails. It seems the base needs to be detached from the seat somehow to get at the swivel plate mechanism. Then needs loosening and or greasing I guess. Has anyone done this and can assist? Thanks

Just spray some silicon bike spray under the seat, and force the seat round a few times.

IMG_0576.png

Do not grease the under seat mech , you will create an unholy mess.
The seat swivel is not designed to be taken apart easily.

is the seat in the van ?
if not put it in .
get someone to help you

Pull the swivel lever all the way across until it will go no more,
then get the other person to rock the seat from side to side, (swivel side to side)
then rotate A few times in each direction
that should be enough to free up the centre pivot, everything else that is likely to be causing friction is plastic Other than the catch mech.
I suspect you have a small amount of rust on the main bearing surface that will clear when the seat is rotated a few times.
Agree100% with @Ch1pbutty is you feel the need to lube the base use silicone it won’t make a mess or smell.

Last edited:
Thanks , do I spray where the arrow is ?IMG-20240522-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Cannot view your attachments, try uploading the photos

look in your post “edit” look on the left for the “attach files“ photos etc

Just aim onto / under anything metal close to where it rotates, spray loads on, put the seat in the van and then push your feet on the floor till it starts to move…then keep spinnng!

OK thanks to everyone. Sprayed where I pointed whilst seat was out of van but upright in usual position. This makes it harder to spray silicon but it seems to set in the u-shaped ring around the plate. Sat on it and rotated with a bit of assistance it's now freed up beautifully. I then laid the seat on it's back and cleaned up all the silicon that drained out of the bottom before putting back into the van. Thanks again really useful. Although I didn't need to take the seat apart it really bugs me that it wasn't obvious. No idea how they are put together. Mystery