Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Screen Misting Up

raynormor

raynormor

Ray
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I noticed during the colder weather recently that with the sun on it the screen is misted up inside the double glazed unit (a vee shapped shadow from centre bottom of the screen). As it warms up the problem goes away but it does take a while. Has anyone else got any experience of this problem. I'm taking it in to SMG to have lowering springs fitted soon and Alex is going to have a look at it for me.

Hi
As this is a double glazed unit it sounds like there is a leak., This problem has been mentioned in previous queries on the forum. The best advice given (as you have a van in warranty) is to take pictures of the misting in the window when it next occurs and take them to the dealer as no doubt when you go there will be nothing to show.

Some pictures would help as I could send them to Volkswagen before you come in and see what they say about the issue.

See you soon!

Same problem with the nearside rear window (the one behind the wardrobe) on our 2011 7000 mile cali.
Is it worth fixing?

Definitely, it is in the warranty period and you paid a lot of money for your California. Think how much you would lose when you come to sell your vehicle or some would walk away knowing hey can find one in excellent condition.

Pictures - mmmmmmm!!!

I need some cold weather - don't all scream at me.

Charlie lives in the garage and only comes out when its nice.

It could be autumn before we get the right conditions to see the problem again unless a hair drier will do it.

going to Malvern next weekend so i don't want any cold weather then.

Thanks for the idea, though why didn't I think of it when i first noticed the problem. I will be ready next time.

This is not an uncommon problem, I recall a few folk on the facebook page having problems with rear window internal condensation.

Had mine replaced under warranty recently.
I hadn't taken any photos and like drmw1335 says when i took it in it was clear but they replaced it anyway.

Thanks for that, It's not something you would make up now is it.

Trust me Alex, it mists up when its cold.

See you a week thursday

Hi Ray,

Just to let you know that I have already sent a techincal report to VW about your rear screen, but I am still waiting for a reply. Hopefully they can come back to me with a useful suggestion before tomorrow!

cheers

If there is misting in the Double Glazing then it has to be a failure of the Double Glazed sealed unit and will have to be replaced. The Double Glazed units will be filled with an inert gas such as Argon or Krypton and then sealed, this cannot be refilled and re-sealed.

Unfortunately to move this forward I need pictures of the fault to send to VW before this can be taken any further for possible replacement parts.

cheers

Ray does it mist up if you wash the van??

Might be a way you could get some pictures.

If I can get some pictures then I can get an answer from VW of what they want me to do to it. Unfortunately we have a lot of processes to follow for warranty repairs.

cheers

Thanks Stu, It doesn't mist up when I wash it, in fact Alex had a look today when SMG valetted it for me but no sign. I will have to wait for colder weather. Fortunately the warranty has another 2 years to go.

PS the lowering springs make a huge difference to the cornering ability with not too much penalty over the pot holes, which shouldn't be there anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as it does mist up send me some photos and I will speak to VW about it.

Glad you are pleased with the lowering springs

:thanks

Back