Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Infotainment system/screen crashing and connection issues with CarPlay

So we tried the latest Google Maps version and the display pixelated within 3 minutes of driving on a selected nav route. So no luck there.

I called the Sheffield van centre to see if they’d had any updates on the technical query they sent to VW in February. Their lead tech confirmed no status update available apart from “awaiting software update”. I’ve been told that the dealer will get in contact if/when there’s a fix.

I find it bizarre that on the Apple forum multiple people running VW variant cars report on a software update that has fixed the problem.

So we tried the latest Google Maps version and the display pixelated within 3 minutes of driving on a selected nav route. So no luck there.

I called the Sheffield van centre to see if they’d had any updates on the technical query they sent to VW in February. Their lead tech confirmed no status update available apart from “awaiting software update”. I’ve been told that the dealer will get in contact if/when there’s a fix.

I find it bizarre that on the Apple forum multiple people running VW variant cars report on a software update that has fixed the problem.
Mine seems to have fixed itself. Mansfield to Devon and driving about for a week with no pixelation. Strange one.

I have been reluctant to get too excited for fear if of jinxing it, but Gmaps is definitely now working fine for me, as it originally did, and tested over decent number of long and short distance drives. I can only think that a combination of VW, iOS and Gmaps version updates has finally fixed it?

Each time I update apps on my phone I look out for a new Gmaps version, and then discover it doesn’t fix things. Maybe it will one day :rolleyes:

Each time I update apps on my phone I look out for a new Gmaps version, and then discover it doesn’t fix things. Maybe it will one day :rolleyes:
I know how you feel. Maybe best to forget about it for a few months like I did and when you come back to it, perhaps it will surprise you. The inconsistency is totally baffling and exasperating.

Updated to Gmaps 73.0 last night and had a drive today. Pixelation has stopped, and my phone isn’t getting roasting hot - So that’s good. Oh and CarPlay isn’t frozen either. Not so good is the white display with only our route marked in blue, no other roads shown, and no audio or turn information. Not fully resolved but some progress.

I installed an over the air software update yesterday after getting a notification. No idea what it was for - no info. But, big news - as of this morning Gmaps is working normally. Tested it on a 10 mile journey, but we will see how it goes on 3 hour journeys over the next few days.

A longer trip confirms Gmaps is now stable and my phone gets warm but not roasting hot when using it. We will give WAZE a go soon.

I installed an over the air software update yesterday after getting a notification. No idea what it was for - no info. But, big news - as of this morning Gmaps is working normally. Tested it on a 10 mile journey, but we will see how it goes on 3 hour journeys over the next few days.

Hi.

Was the update called ‘OUG9’ (from hazy recollection - I should really have noted it!), or something similar; I was offered this, and I’m not clear if it has downloaded yet, as the dash information seemed to imply it would proceed only once the key was off / out?

It will be a mighty fine day if this is ‘the answer’, after all of the false dawns!

Thanks, and fingers crossed! JS.

Is it possible to update the California software over the air ? How?

Hi.

Was the update called ‘OUG9’ (from hazy recollection - I should really have noted it!), or something similar; I was offered this, and I’m not clear if it has downloaded yet, as the dash information seemed to imply it would proceed only once the key was off / out?

It will be a mighty fine day if this is ‘the answer’, after all of the false dawns!

Yes it was labelled as OUG9, and yes after downloading the file the installation started once the key was removed. When I started the van the next day it confirmed that the update had been applied.

For the user, only when an update is available and the dash lets you know. A dealer can check for updates and upload. This latest is the 3rd? 4th? in 18 months.

Morning all.

To those who, like me, have a dealer with little clue about how to work the van, less still fix the common issues:

This is what happens before and after the over-the-air update:

E0916AE7-BCF5-4F75-8F72-DE69B31DC7E8.jpeg
24CB4D8C-8616-4738-9742-6541B7E80284.jpeg

You can also force the van to make an over-the-air software update like this:

(NB I believe for this to work that you must already have prior-created a user / log-on via the VW ‘We Connect’ app)

Per the photo sequence which follows, go to the main menu on the infotainment screen, and choose SETTINGS / SYSTEM INFORMATION / UPDATE SOFTWARE:

6EFDC3B8-D4B7-4803-9F2F-F91FA5ADFD47.jpeg
4B8674FF-3127-4BFA-9DFF-06F5AF629162.jpeg
BE33164E-E232-496E-9037-EA8A8B4624BA.jpeg
F47F7F6B-FE10-48C5-9563-68D61CC36864.jpeg

The car will then set off and do the download, if there is one available.

Mine told me to key-off, clear off, and then amazingly at the next use it announced all was done. Wow.

It also seems, on the basis of just one Heathrow return drop-off last evening, and as similarly reported by Mr Hawthorn, that our (my wife’s in particular) woes with crashing screens, pixelation, and generally falling over when messages etc. come in to her iPhone, might at last be history . . . watch this space!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Morning all.

To those who, like me, have a dealer with little clue about how to work the van, less still fix the common issues:

View attachment 111280
View attachment 111285

(NB I believe for this to work that you must already have prior-created a user / log-on via the VW ‘We Connect’ app)

Per the photo sequence which follows, go to the main menu on the infotainment screen, and choose SETTINGS / SYSTEM INFORMATION / UPDATE SOFTWARE:

View attachment 111286
View attachment 111287
View attachment 111288
View attachment 111289

Mine told me to key-off, clear off, and then amazingly at the next use it announced all was done. Wow.

It also seems, on the basis of just one Heathrow return drop-off last evening, and as similarly reported by Mr Hawthorn, that our (my wife’s in particular) woes with crashing screens, pixelation, and generally falling over when messages etc. come in to her iPhone, might at last be history . . . watch this space!

Thanks.
I get an error message: "no data available. Please insert a source with software update data or check the source."

Morning all.

View attachment 111280
View attachment 111285

View attachment 111286
View attachment 111287
View attachment 111288
View attachment 111289

Thanks.
Great news! I still find it odd that the dealers don’t get updates on technical queries ahead of software releases. Still, so long as it’s fixed. Gmaps was stable on the journey to London Abbey Wood CAMC site, about 3 hours. For the journey back we used Apple Maps, for old time sake!

Morning all.

View attachment 111280
View attachment 111285

View attachment 111286
View attachment 111287
View attachment 111288
View attachment 111289

Thanks.
I followed your suggestion with the result that in System Information I got the first photo below and under update software a blank as second shot. So I assume I am all up to date. Do other T6.1 My2023 with Media Pro get the same update versions in System Information under ‘hardware’, ‘software’, ‘Navigation’, ‘Media’ and ‘radio’ ?

IMG_5597.jpegIMG_5600.jpeg

Same for me

Sorry, I can only offer what happened - and even appeared to work! - with my own system . . . I’m afraid don’t know why other vehicles haven’t responded the same way :-|

I’ve been monitoring the chat on the Apple forum threads relating to this issue, and I’d say from the responses from drivers of VW variant vehicles, updates don’t appear to happen all at once. Why? No idea. Maybe your van needs to be in “the right mood”?

I’ve been monitoring the chat on the Apple forum threads relating to this issue, and I’d say from the responses from drivers of VW variant vehicles, updates don’t appear to happen all at once. Why? No idea. Maybe your van needs to be in “the right mood”?
Doubtless this is a very plausible explanation! (and probably just what the VW IT crew would say ;-) !!!)

Hi.

Well, it’s nearly two weeks on, and it seems that update OUG9, or whatever else went on in the background, may have cured our issues of nearly two years!

Hallelujah . . . but still kind of holding my breath!

Good luck all !!!!

Well, it’s nearly two weeks on, and it seems that update OUG9, or whatever else went on in the background, may have cured our issues of nearly two years!

Hallelujah . . . but still kind of holding my breath!

Good luck all !!!!
It seems to have fixed our Gmaps as well. We just had one freeze up last weekend, but I guess that’s not uncommon. Waze still pixelates however.

Still no fix

Unfortunately, 8 months in and still no fix on my VW SatNav not remembering destinations/favourites!! I’m using Waze/Google/Apple in the meantime. You need to raise a case with VW Customer Services. You might at least get a ‘goodwill gesture’ ?
Yesterday, after the last dealer visit, the problem seems to have been fixed with a software update. Since the warranty had expired in the meantime they almost wanted me to pay for the intervention ...