Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quick drive away awning question

K

KBR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

I purchased a drive away awning recently, specifically the Kampa Cross Air. I hook it up to the van with a figure of 8 and kador strip to the slot under the housing of the factory fitted awning on my T5.1.

I figured the best way to attach would be to unwind the Cali awning a little, slide the kador strip in place, attach the drive away awning, then fully wind back the Cali awning. This all seemed to work well, but then I found that whenever I wanted to open and close the van door, it was catching on the Kampa awning and was a real faff to keep holding it out of the way so I didn't damage it.

It may be a silly question, but what do others do? Do you leave the wind out awning open a little with the drive away awning attached? Is there a technique with door opening and closing that I'm missing? I don't want to end up causing damage to anything.

Thanks!

I just leave the wind out awning open two or three inches so that the door can clear the Kador strip/awning. It too much trouble to keep pushing the awning out of the way each time you want to open/close the door.

I just leave the wind out awning open two or three inches so that the door can clear the Kador strip/awning. It too much trouble to keep pushing the awning out of the way each time you want to open/close the door.
Thanks. I suspected this was the solution but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious!

the best way is to ditch the awning, but to solve that issue, ditch the kador strip,and clip the plastic figure 8 tubes on top of the edge of the awning, wind in the awning to 'trap' them and this gives you more height and clears the door easy

the best way is to ditch the awning, but to solve that issue, ditch the kador strip,and clip the plastic figure 8 tubes on top of the edge of the awning, wind in the awning to 'trap' them and this gives you more height and clears the door easy
That keeps it secure enough and doesn’t damage the wind out?

That keeps it secure enough and doesn’t damage the wind out?
its alot better, i've seen it done,and no it doesn't. they seem to clip the top of the awning like they are a perfect fit

Just tried this out. Bloody brilliant, it's like it's meant to be used like that. Thanks!

Just tried this out. Bloody brilliant, it's like it's meant to be used like that. Thanks!
Great. We aim to please here sometimes

Scratching my head to envisage this - any chance of a few pics ?

Scratching my head to envisage this - any chance of a few pics ?
Have a look at this thread (photos included)

Have a look at this thread (photos included)

Thanks for the link - very clear now and will give it a go

Thanks for the link - very clear now and will give it a go
It really works! I reckon it will be way easier to disconnect and driveaway as well. Less sliding of kador strips, should just be able to pop the figure of 8 off of the awning.

It really works! I reckon it will be way easier to disconnect and driveaway as well. Less sliding of kador strips, should just be able to pop the figure of 8 off of the awning.
Thanks for this. Looks like a great solution. Would it damage the roll out awning in windy conditions? I’m not sure how it top of the awning locks in to the bottom.

Thanks for this. Looks like a great solution. Would it damage the roll out awning in windy conditions? I’m not sure how it top of the awning locks in to the bottom.
I opened the roll out awning by about 1cm. Pushed the figure of 8 onto the top lip of the awning housing. Obviously this is not how it's designed, but looking at it, I think the figure of 8 would pop off or snap before the awning housing got damaged if there were really strong winds. But of course, everything is done at the risk of the owner! Perhaps in really strong winds, it would be an idea to disconnect the drive away awning from the van whatever way it's connected and secure it down with the extra guy ropes.... food for thought.

Forgot to say, I roll back the awning once the figure of 8 is attached to trap it more securely.

Back