Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quechua pop up tents

We have a Base Seconds by Quechua as well. Excellent for storing 'stuff' and when weather is bad, rolling out the awning works well. Add a windbreak or too and it's very cosy! Also helps secure your place when off site.

ToulonTom said:
I have just bought a Base Seconds tent in Decathlon Toulon and it was reduced to 127 Euro, down from 169 I think. Bargain! See the link if you're not sure what I'm talking about...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds ... nformation

Now I just need the van (delivery date October. Come on, come on...)

Timely tip that Tom.
I going to Decathlon in Tarbes tomorrow to get some other stuff so will look out for the Base Seconds. We've had one around four years and it's been great but its getting a bit tatty now with so much use and me running over it with the van so a new one would be a good idea.

We used a Quechua Base Seconds a lot before going over to the Vango KELA - most impressive outings it did were C&CC Delamare Forest in December 2010 in minus 12C and withstanding 50mph plus winds at C&CC Tregurrian, Cornwall in June 2013 (Blossom had to have her roof lowered several nights that week but the "Base withstood all by just being very flexible.)
[/img][/img] From a point of view of compact packability, ease of putting up and adaptability it was first rate and the only reason we went over to the Vango was that dry connection to the van for Autumnal and other trips when likelihood of wet onslaught was fairly certain ..Stephen :D

I'd just like to say that after a week on Corsica (our first real camping trip) the Base Seconds tent was by far the most useful thing I had packed.
As soon as I was stopped, the tent was up inside 5 mins and everything from inside the van went in there leaving the van clear for everything else, including sleeping in. I can't recomment it enough (or something similar). It was used every day, and we only did overnight stops, and it made life so much easier.
I also had 2 roll up beach mats which were used as a 'carpet' between the van and the tent (under the awning) which made it all the more pleasant.

First time out and my Base Seconds went up in minutes, withstood 30mph+ winds and kept everything dry through the pouring rain. It met all of my expectations and provided some fun when decamping; the couple on the pitch opposite appeared to delay their car ride as they sat in their car and watched me battling with the tent on the grass until I had wrestled it into the bag! I am really pleased with it as a simple storage space and shelter. Thanks to everyone for the information on here :thumb

IMG_3003.jpg

I like the colour matched upper material, same colour as the van!

like the colour matched upper material, same colour as the van!
I initially thought it was black and bright green but I, too, decided that it actually looks dark brown, to match the Cali, and a nice shade of summer green to blend in with the grass :D

If your wife would like something that takes up less space than the MSH tent, perhaps this would be a good compromise? I travelled with it laying on top of the rear mattress behind the bench seat (after sliding the seat forward a couple of notches for travelling). It is just about thin enough to slide under the headrests when they are folded down and once my sleeping bag and pillows were loaded on top, you really wouldn't know it was there. This then still leaves the entire space under the rear mattress/shelf for boxes etc. The bag even has two shoulder straps for carrying it like a big disc-shaped backpack!

Thanks for the info Maud, it does look more compact, we don't need the extra size of the MSH and it might be worth us making a trip to Decathlon in Warrington to compare. Don't fancy spending good Cali time in Warrington though ... too much traffic (apologies to any residents)

Thanks for the review and pics Maud, have just taken the plunge and ordered one based on this!

Quick question Maud - how many sides close up completely - just looks like 2 in the website - is that correct?

Quick question Maud - how many sides close up completely - just looks like 2 in the website - is that correct?

Hi Georgiegirl, all four sides can be completely closed up with the zips, but only two will open completely. Two sides stay up all the time but have mesh windows that can be opened by unzipping the top fabric (which then rolls away neatly). The other two side panels also have these zip-up windows but these two sides can also be unzipped completely (or partially) and then the whole panel/door folds up and stores away in its own little pocket in the corner. So you can have four, three, or two sides completely closed but only one or two opened up. I hope that makes sense! Have you seen the Youtube video here:
? :)

Maud

There are 2 sides that open up completely - like a tent door, and the other 2 sides have a zip down flap with a sewn in mosquito net.
I actually went a bit crazy and splashed out another £10 on the ground sheet that's made for the tent, and it's brilliant, with little velcro patches that match with patches on the tent so it all fits really nicely.IMG_7050.JPG
IMG_6926.JPG

From another angle; you could obviously have an opening door at the front (i.e. facing the road here) if it were turned 90degrees but I liked it this way as it meant that my girls had a bit more privacy from passing dogs. The little loops for the roll-up windows inside are perfect for threading tiny fairy lights through :embarrased
IMG_2998.JPG

There are 2 sides that open up completely - like a tent door, and the other 2 sides have a zip down flap with a sewn in mosquito net.
I actually went a bit crazy and splashed out another £10 on the ground sheet that's made for the tent, and it's brilliant, with little velcro patches that match with patches on the tent so it all fits really nicely.View attachment 8588
View attachment 8587
Great photos! I like the idea of using it like this in the summer, when pitch size allows. I am going to get a decent windbreak to put across the front so the dogs can sleep in the shady space beneath the canopy too.

I didn't know you could get a groundsheet specifically for this! I use Kampa easy-lock floor tiles in mine.

Maud

Camp near Le Mans recently using the Base Seconds. Now five years old and still good.
Picked up an innner on eBay for a tenner so visitors have a comfy dry bed as well.
The edge of the tent fits nicely under the awning as well if required so works really well. Hardly ever use the Khyam now as this is so practical to carry around, erect and put away (once youv'e gone through the cursing it stage) :D

Our 'garden shed' is a queque XL shelter. Great for fast setup to fling everything in: seat, dog crate, windbreak, walking boots, washing hung up inside dog crate using pegs to hang from top, etc.
I now have an item on my pre-season checks to watch a You Tube clip of how to pack it away...I get caught out on first outing every time!
Can't say how great this bit of my kit has been.
It keeps my spot too!
I use Kampala easy lock tiles for its base but that is more to protect the inbuilt/attached flooring. They are then dual purpose and used for covering a small area outside my door in muddy conditions.
Just one word of warning: it's a shelter and not terribly waterproof....have managed fine and suffered only a little water on floor so in wet conditions I just make sure my tiles are down and/or sittings on top of the dog crate.
IT IS SO USEFUL!

Just received ours and had a go at putting it up in the garden. Impressive bit of kit and up in seconds. Think we may have been the evening entertainment for our neighbours as we tried to pack it away though! Hope it gets easier with practice!

It does get easier with just a few practices, Georgiegirl! I kept going back to the Youtube video and pausing it to work out how to get it just right. Have fun! :D

Back