Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quechua pop up tents

C

Chris

Our yearly surf trip to croyde was cut short because of the weather. Our Cali became a life boy for the three of us on Thursday night. Without the pop top, wind meant not able raise the roof safely, we all slept on the bed. Not the greatest night slept as saw every hour on the hour.

Coming to the tents. We use a bae full and a pod ( as we call it ) a two man tent that attaches to the base unit for my stepson to sleep in. both performed exceptional and no damage. Can't say the same for our beach wind break, as the wind snapped two wooden poles and our metal pole gelert wind break just feel flat as the guys could not handle the wind.
Campsite on Friday morning woke to carnage. Damaged caravan awnings and one completely broken tent. The couple abandoned it at 3am and slept in the their car.

The Quechua tents stood firmly and I was impressed with the abuse they withstood. Would recommended

The Quechua tents stood firmly and I was impressed with the abuse they withstood

Never heard of them before. Are some interesting tents + what seem good prices on their site.

Andy. The base unit (large tent)) acts as our driveway awning. The wind out awning goes over one of the two doors of the tent. Instant drive away awning without the hassle of keep attaching and no matter how well you peg out a kyham they still leak at the connection point.
The small two man tent also means we can be flexible pending if my stepson comes away or not.

Decathlon is the shop you can buy the Quechua tents.

I;ve had one of their instant tents for years. I used to take it when I raced enduro's so it has had an absolute beating and has stood up to it very, very well.

The "instant up" mechanism was just that - the first time I tried it, it was in such a hurry to escape the restrain of its bag that it leaped out and nearly broke my nose.

Great products.

We bought the 2 seconds III recently (from Decathlon) as our dome "pup" tent was a bit large and had a couple of split - we only use it for the dog and to store excess clobber but so far very impressed. Very easy to put up, seems to hold up well to heavyish weather, easy to pack away once you get the knack of it!

You can just about see it on the left of this pic:

562615_10150831089852805_1099538802_n.jpg

We have used a Quechua tent in the past; it proved very waterproof even when the ground was sodden, and as it was all in one piece it certainly wasn't going anywhere while you were still in it. But we have seen an empty one that wasn't pegged or guyed 'take off' in a high wind. Love the way they just spring up as soon as you release the strap around them, but they can be the devil to fold up, there is a knack which really takes some practice to learn. (Same idea as the Cali side window blackout screens!).

We won't be taking the tent in the Cali, but will be taking our Quechua beach shelter, same idea but with an open front. They're sold in Decathlon stores and we bought both our tent and the shelter near Cap d'Agde a few years back. They've lasted well, good value as the tent was only 60 Eus and the shelter much less.

With some careful guy rope positioning, our 2 Seconds III stood up to a force 8++ gale and monsoon style rain on Saturday. A tiny bit of water inside but as it's only the dog and some kit in there, we didn't care! :lol:

Chris said:
Andy. The base unit (large tent)) acts as our driveway awning. The wind out awning goes over one of the two doors of the tent. Instant drive away awning without the hassle of keep attaching and no matter how well you peg out a kyham they still leak at the connection point.

Awesome idea. I have a base and hadnt thought of using itv a drive away awning. You may have just saved me a few quid :thanks

Fantastic idea, using the Base as a driveaway.

I've a BaseXL... fits behind the seat with it slightly pulled forward (so doesn't get in the way too much)

Wonder if I'll get away with it at Caravan Club sites?

Carrg said:
Chris said:
Picture taken last year when Devon was drier!!

So whats that mate 1 x Base and another Quechua smaller tent connected??

Our set up consists of the Quechua base FULL. The base is the large hub. It has two opening sides plus two canopies. The canopies allow you to connect a Quechua Seconds XL ( small two man tents) under them. Gives you so much flexibility. No kids just take the base unit. Kids bring friends add another bedroom.

Reference to it being a drive away awning. An Awning has to be connected to the van. If i get asked, "How do I connect", then out comes some velcro. Not been asked yet but I know I will be one day.

Chris said:
Carrg said:
Chris said:
Picture taken last year when Devon was drier!!

So whats that mate 1 x Base and another Quechua smaller tent connected??

Our set up consists of the Quechua base FULL. The base is the large hub. It has two opening sides plus two canopies. The canopies allow you to connect a Quechua Seconds ( small two man tents) under them. Gives you so much flexibility. No kids just take the base unit. Kids bring friends ad another bedroom.
A
drive away awning has to be connected to the van. If i get asked do I connect, then out comes some velcro. Not been asked yet but I know I will be one day.

Cheers for the good info. Looking at them there are so many to choose from like you say very flexible. We were looking at the BASE SECONDS XL now instead off a Khyam awning.

They seem to be well liked here -

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Que ... s-Full/521

I have to say I like Chris' idea of using the van awning to effectively make the connection. It looks to make driving away quite simple.

I'm looking for something that will give us some extra living space for when the weather isn't perfect so that Karl (boy <2 years) can still have a run around etc. but it must be quick to put up and take down so that it is not too onerous on arrival and can be put up at home for drying.

Also storage space is an issue as we don't want it to take up too much space.

Hi Stu,

Once you have mastered the technique to folding them they really can be taken down in a minute or two. The only small problem is I tend to get on my knees when doing the folding over bit and so you might get a tad wet if ground is wet or just chuck down an old towel to kneel on.

Putting them up takes no time. In fact you need to almost jump back as you let go as they spring open.

The base isnt that big but I found it handy for changing clothes, eating, etc, as the pop up tents that adjoin are really just for sleeping in. Fine for a quick weekend trip but using the base as well does just give a few more options.

And the idea of using it as an awning is inspired.

Ha my kids have had several play type pop up tent/houses/tunnels.

They do require a well trained technique and can be dangerous lol.

I too like the idea of this being an easier way of having a quick awning that could be added to if required.

GB anyone lol. :thumb

Just bought the base seconds XL. Had a practice in the garden and seemed very easy/quick to put up - and after 3 goes to get the hang of it - easy to put away. We are going to the DeerShed festival in N Yorkshire next weekend so should be a good addition to van. Will take some pics and try and work out how to post them - plus give full report on how it works as an unconnected awning.

Some good info coming out here, it's certainly looking like a viable option to a full fat MD awning.

During our two weeks in wales I though I would show how versatile the Quechua tents are. I should get paid for this level of plugging them :grin:

P1010514.JPG P1010444.JPG

Cheers Mate look great.

So that is not the base XL??

I'm really thinking of getting one of these.

Btw is that a VW bike rack? Looks mighty chunky?

:D

Carrg said:
Cheers Mate look great.

So that is not the base XL??

I'm really thinking of getting one of these.

Btw is that a VW bike rack? Looks mighty chunky?

:D

Carrg,
I have the BASE FULL. Worth the money and flexiblity.
Yes it is a VW bike rack. Must be the angle making it look chunky.

Just bumping this thread. Still on the lookout for an old style Quechua Base Seconds tent if anyone knows where to get hold of one (or 2nd hand)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EVERYONE had a Quechua tent when we did our 4.5 week Euro tour. It was very unusual to see a tent that wasn't one!

Our little one is still going strong. Won't hold up in severe weather (ours blew flat - we had to evacuate the poor dog!) but they are pretty darn useful.

A bargain too.

Back