Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Q for suggestions on a trip to Wales

• Thread starter Hotel California
  • Start date
Kicking this back up as we now booked the meet in Glouchestershire .
What do any of you think is best on direction to go afther the meet?
Wales up inland and anti-clockwise the coast down...
Or clockwise the coast up and inland down on the final days of our trip?
Arround what time it gets dark the end of june in that part of the UK?
Advise welcome!
I'll be at the June meeting. I'll have a Welsh flag flying, and I'm going to put up my Forum name on the Windscreen.

Meet - Brecon Beacons - Elan Valley - Snowdonia - N Coast - Anti clockwise down the coast - St Davids - Gower - M4 heading East.

Thankx Paul , my first plans was clockwise the coast up but do not know....
Afther the meet we got nine days trip to get back to Dover.
do you know this site ?
http://www.pointlynas.co.uk/

Thankx Paul , my first plans was clockwise the coast up but do not know....
Afther the meet we got nine days trip to get back to Dover.
do you know this site ?
http://www.pointlynas.co.uk/
That site belongs to a forum member, Bigmac I think his handle is. I know the area well and it is well worth a visit. The walk around the lighthouse at Point Lynas is spectacular (the lighthouse is for sale if you are interested!)

Pity you've only got nine days, there is so much to see in Wales. You must not miss Snowdonia though, and Point Lynas is not far from there. Hopefully we will see you when you come up :thumb

@briwy , thanks
Will look up those links this evening at home.
If those are like the spot on you pic , than those are sur the ones i would go to!

@motacyclist ,
We will be of a total of 14 days , first days heading and staying at the meet so on sunday noon or mondaynorning off for a round Wales until the 28th when i would be at Dover taking the ferry back on the 29th in the morning.
So think plenty time to have a great trip!

I knew about the site becose Bigmac send me a PM :thumb

There is so much to see and so many fabulous places that you could possibly be driving all the time. I think in your shoes, with about 9 days, I would possibly take up the offers from some of the locals from the Forum, to be shown some of the most spectacular places that they know. Snowdonia is a must, I think, but some bits are very crowded. A local will know which are the beautiful areas, the best way of getting there and probably the best times to see them. A day spent with someone who knows the areas, can lead to finding those really outstanding locations to explore afterwards at your own speed.
Look forward to meeting you at the Lower Lode Inn. Simon

Last edited:
@motacyclist ,
We will be of a total of 14 days , first days heading and staying at the meet so on sunday noon or mondaynorning off for a round Wales until the 28th when i would be at Dover taking the ferry back on the 29th in the morning.
So think plenty time to have a great trip!

I knew about the site becose Bigmac send me a PM :thumb
Well North Wales is handy for the M56 motorway so you can leave it late before departing the area. You just need to find the A55 dual carriageway coast road which takes you straight on to the M56.

Hi all,

We're having unforgetable weekends using the information of this thread, thanks a lot guys.

@Hotel California, you will enjoy a lot these places.

We've aready visited (but will visit again) Brecon Beacons, Penbrokeshire, Mamble.... all of them very handy from Cardiff.

This weekend we're planing to visit Snowdonia and surroundings and, for sure the information shared here will be quite valuable.

Could you please share any recomendation about what I should miss?

@briwy, nice places to wildcamp, we're thinking in overnigth in the second one you shared with te mountain view, but we're very curious about the Llandudno one, I was browsing the the link you've posted and looks like it is a narrow road with a snones wall alongside.... where did you sletp actually?

Looks like we'll be in Cardiff until mid July, so lots of weekends to explore Wales. My half a me are very pleased an keen on visiting more places.

Hi all,

We're having unforgetable weekends using the information of this thread, thanks a lot guys.

@Hotel California, you will enjoy a lot these places.

We've aready visited (but will visit again) Brecon Beacons, Penbrokeshire, Mamble.... all of them very handy from Cardiff.

This weekend we're planing to visit Snowdonia and surroundings and, for sure the information shared here will be quite valuable.

Could you please share any recomendation about what I should miss?

@briwy, nice places to wildcamp, we're thinking in overnigth in the second one you shared with te mountain view, but we're very curious about the Llandudno one, I was browsing the the link you've posted and looks like it is a narrow road with a snones wall alongside.... where did you sletp actually?

Looks like we'll be in Cardiff until mid July, so lots of weekends to explore Wales. My half a me are very pleased an keen on visiting more places.
Set off as early as you can it's a long and winding road up to north Wales, follow the A470 up to Brecon and just keep going should take about 4 hours. Snow is forecast for the next couple of days especially over higher ground so Snowdonia will look spectacular but take care if going for a walk/hike. Try staying near Llanberis for stunning scenery, and from here you can explore Nant Gwynant, drive up to Capel Curig and along the A5 toward Nant Ffrancon also near Beddgelert. Wrap up warm it's pretty cold at the moment.

Hi all,

The road is concrete so no problem there and there is hardstanding and grass at the top so a choice.
It looks like there were some buildings there at some stage so could probably date back to wartime if there was a lookout or radio station there.
The road round the Great Orme is actually a toll road, think it was a bout a fiver last time we went but later on in the day you can get round for free. Worth the fiver though for the views.

Another excellent spot is Cwm Bychan not far from Harlech. Not well known so usually quiet.
There is (or was) an honesty box on the gate and a just a portaloo (sometimes).
If you are into walking the path into the Rhinogs via the Roman Steps leads straiight from here. Wonderful walking away from the crowds.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cwm+bychan+campsite&biw=1716&bih=932&tbm=isch&imgil=gN0L0Sl_BdWmpM%3A%3BrPPTMRMR66KGcM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.geograph.org.uk%252Fphoto%252F1342518&source=iu&pf=m&fir=gN0L0Sl_BdWmpM%3A%2CrPPTMRMR66KGcM%2C_&usg=__l4QoFp3CnUzPjZZeJQXy77lnyj8=&dpr=1&ved=0ahUKEwjchsq3uqTLAhVG6RQKHVdkBKAQyjcIXQ&ei=zyXYVpzjIsbSU9fIkYAK#imgrc=gN0L0Sl_BdWmpM:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/e...er=0&authuser=0&mid=zLoRZLxwUKOY.kFxOmpnrRiMo

Last edited:
Hi estresao - on your way up the A470 as bigmac77 suggests, you will go through Rhayader. If you like real fish & chips you will find Evans Plaice on the High St who do the best fish & chips for miles. You could turn left there and go up the Elan Valley which is beautiful and you might find somewhere there suitable to stop.
Going further up the A470 you will come to Llanidloes, at the end of a long straight turn left at the roundabout and join the B4518. This is a windy twisty little road and there is a lovely viewpoint overlooking the Llyn Clywedog reservoir. Below are 3 photos stitched together. I had my breakfast here last Saturday at 7.30am.
DSCF0798.JPG
The B4518 continues on back to the A470. Continue on towards Porthmadog. If you are keen walkers there is a nice route from Nantmoor NT car park up a valley with old ruined mine workings then turn left at the top and down to Beddgelert. There you can have lunch and then walk down the Aberglaslyn Pass on the Fisherman's Path and back to Nantmoor. This short video will give you an idea, the path is below the railway. The opening shots just after the titles are the Pass.
There is the Forest Campsite just past Beddgelert which a friend stayed in ÂŁ14 a night with EHU at winter rates. Good luck Simon

Last edited:
Thankx a lot guys , can't hardly wait till june....!
Love the scenery .
Fingers crossed the weather is sunny and dry , don't need high themp. but nice steady weather would be great

Advise welcome!
Longest day of the year is in June so light until 10-10.30pm...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot guys. Tomorrow morning I'll gather these information in front of a map and plan our weekend trip :bananadance:bananadance:bananadance

Thanks a lot guys. Tomorrow morning I'll gather these information in front of a map and plan our weekend trip :bananadance:bananadance:bananadance

Weather looks challenging this weekend, hope it goes well. One more short 6 min film of attractions in Snowdonia to tempt you up there.

Simon

Advise welcome!

My advice would be that in Tewksbury you are nearly as far from Pembrokeshire as you are from Snowdonia. I would go anticlockwise and see Pembrokeshire & Brecon beacons on the way back.
Head from the Lower Lode in up to Rhayader which is not a bad road, then follow what people have suggested heading up to Snowdonia.
On your way home come down the coast and enjoy the contrast.
Make your decision on the day depending on how the weather is at the time.
I've just attached a couple of short videos of Snowdonia to this thread that you might enjoy. Simon

Amazing weekend in Snowdonia and Notrh Wales, it was so sunny last Saturday. I've used most of the information shared here and visited lost of amazing places. We decided we have to visit Snowdonia further to visits places we had not able to do.

MapSnowdoniaConwy.jpg

MapSnowdoniaConwy_Dia2.jpg

MapSnowdoniaConwy_Dia3.jpg

View attachment 12424

This weekend we're planning to visit (for 3th time) Pembrokeshire. We made mainly St Davids and would like to visit the area between Porthgain and Cardigan.... of course, I'm open for suggestions.

Stayed at Lleithyr Farm just a mile west of St Davids basic but nice and level and toilet/showers were clean it was also pretty near to Whitesands Bay which was nice for a walk on the beach.

An old friend has a campsite on the hill above Cardigan. I've not seen it since he opened the site tbh but knowing him it'll be great. I know the view from the top field is pretty special.

http://www.cardigancaravansite.co.uk

Gareth has a huge collection of agricultural vehicles. Make sure he lets you have a drive in them. Great fun..!

(and if you've not been and have an interest in fascinating ancient things, make sure to visit the stones at Pentre Ifan...)

Last edited:
Thankx for the adding of those tips guys !
So looking forward of coming to the UK again....:)

Kicking this tread up as we take off in a week now....
Any tips on great sites (campsites)and places to spend the night at great spots (freecamping) are more than welcome.
Those coming to the meet at the Lower Lode Inn feel free to come over and chat as we wil be there.....

Been only once to the UK with the Cali on two diffrent campsites and the hook-up was with the blue three pin plug on those sites , guess it is that way in most sites?
We only need a adaptor for the wifes hairdryer i think....