Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Purchasing California Ocean T6 after Cat S writeoff

jhgf

jhgf

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, my brother in law is wanting to buy a second hand Cali. There’s a white one in Autotrader at the moment available with a 19 plate via private sale for a good price. It looks to be in immaculate condition and has done 22,000 ish miles. The concern is that the vehicle was reregistered after a Category S insurance writeoff meaning that there must have been a lot of structural damage. Is it a definite “don’t touch with a barge pole” or as it’s been used for the past two years with no problems and has passed two MOTs successfully can the vehicle be regarded as being ok now? Any comments appreciate. Thanks, Jonathan

Hi, my brother in law is wanting to buy a second hand Cali. There’s a white one in Autotrader at the moment available with a 19 plate via private sale for a good price. It looks to be in immaculate condition and has done 22,000 ish miles. The concern is that the vehicle was reregistered after a Category S insurance writeoff meaning that there must have been a lot of structural damage. Is it a definite “don’t touch with a barge pole” or as it’s been used for the past two years with no problems and has passed two MOTs successfully can the vehicle be regarded as being ok now? Any comments appreciate. Thanks, Jonathan
Car vertical will show extent of damage.

There’s a white one in Autotrader at the moment available with a 19 plate via private sale for a good price.
It's not a good price for a Cat S vehicle. It's not even a great price for a pretty standard white Cali, there are far better buys out there, avoid.

I would definitely want to know why it was written off. Basically an Insurance Company writes off a vehicle because the cost of repair . BUT that is repair by a large Repairer who probably has high overheads whereas smaller repairers might take such a vehicle as a project over an extended period and do a good if not better job possibly using 2nd hand parts/ body parts rather than new for everything. I think it would definitely warrant further investigation.

I would definitely want to know why it was written off. Basically an Insurance Company writes off a vehicle because the cost of repair . BUT that is repair by a large Repairer who probably has high overheads whereas smaller repairers might take such a vehicle as a project over an extended period and do a good if not better job possibly using 2nd hand parts/ body parts rather than new for everything. I think it would definitely warrant further investigation.
Thanks for your reply. Apparently it was a big shunt in the rear so the seller says so I presume it was damaged in the rear door and associated panels and possibly structurally underneath. There is still a very little damage to the plastic flooring right at the back to the side of the gas cylinder storage area but otherwise looks completely normal. We’re going to get an AA check done before going any further.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently it was a big shunt in the rear so the seller says so I presume it was damaged in the rear door and associated panels and possibly structurally underneath. There is still a very little damage to the plastic flooring right at the back to the side of the gas cylinder storage area but otherwise looks completely normal. We’re going to get an AA check done before going any further.
If they cant be bothered to repair a bit of floor that you can see, I would be extremely worried about the bits that you cant. It shows its been repaired on the cheap.

I would get insurance quotes before committing to purchase.

Big rear shunt and they want over 46k for it, I wouldn't entertain it at all.

Photos taken in unusual place, advert says it's 1 owner but he only had it for 2 years so that doesn't match age. It will always be a CAT S so dealers unlikely to take in part exchange in future and more difficult to sell privately as you need to declare it. I would look on the forum sales for something else if it was me.

Can you explain more?
Car Vertical is an app you can buy that provides you with a detailed history of vehicle with photos of damage etc. Google it for a proper explanation.
Personally I would be very wary of a Cat S unless I knew the details and the price was low enough. It’s value will always reflect the “S” and selling on might be harder. A 2019 with one owner whose had it for 2 years ??

I just filtered the auto trader search by the price of that and a few £k either side, there was a lower mileage from a vw main dealer of the same age within £2500 of the price - given the choice the difference to tempt me for a Cat S would have to be 50% not 5.
I could understand going for it if it was the cheapest Cali out there.

I also wouldn’t waste my money getting any sort of inspection done.

If you are mad enough to buy it, I don’t think any vw warranty is valid once it’s been written off & you won’t be able to get the all in package.

Car Vertical is an app you can buy that provides you with a detailed history of vehicle with photos of damage etc. Google it for a proper explanation.
Personally I would be very wary of a Cat S unless I knew the details and the price was low enough. It’s value will always reflect the “S” and selling on might be harder. A 2019 with one owner whose had it for 2 years ??
Have noticed that some people advertise vehicles as one previous owner (what it says on logbook) and don’t count themselves too (bit crafty).
Autotrader ad will bring up number of owners and date of reg, mot (free).

Have noticed that some people advertise vehicles as one previous owner (what it says on logbook) and don’t count themselves too (bit crafty).
Autotrader ad will bring up number of owners and date of reg, mot (free).
The old “one lady owner” doesn’t appear much these days!

Thank you , everyone. Just confirming that my brother in law did not purchase the Cali. Your collective wisdom conformed our original thoughts but we just wanted to make sure.

Jonathan

Back