Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Price advice

superrach73

superrach73

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We are just about to sign on the dotted line for a second hand Cali and just having a last minute wobble that we hope you can help with.

We think/hope we are getting a good price but perhaps seems a little too good. Would anyone else have alarm bells raised at a 2012 140 manual Cali with only a couple of extras priced at £32,500?

We were hoping to buy privately as Cali owners seem like a nice bunch from the ones we've viewed so far but this ones with a non VW dealer.

I should have said it's also low mileage

We are just about to sign on the dotted line for a second hand Cali and just having a last minute wobble that we hope you can help with.

We think/hope we are getting a good price but perhaps seems a little too good. Would anyone else have alarm bells raised at a 2012 140 manual Cali with only a couple of extras priced at £32,500?

We were hoping to buy privately as Cali owners seem like a nice bunch from the ones we've viewed so far but this ones with a non VW dealer.

I assume it is a SE? Seems like a pretty good price to me. Sorry if this seems obvious but do check it is a genuine California. Plenty of dealers advertise van conversions as California's.
Other than that all you can do is the normal checks you would for any used vehicle. Perhaps use the AA or RAC for an independent inspection if unsure. At that age if there are any roof rot issues, you can get it logged with VW (if not already)
Good luck!

Sounds like a good price, a little lower than market value, but not so crazy cheap that I'd worry.

Do all the normal checks, HPI, buy it from the address it's registered, check it's history, check it's a proper California.

My observations of the market at the moment is that very little is moving. That is not unknown for this time of the year, but I do think this year is 'odd' given the T6's arriving much sooner than expected, so lots of 2014's and 2015's are less desirable than in normal years........yet most are still holding out for 'normal' pricing. Many of the buyers who would have snapped up a 'late' Cali have gone for a T6.

If the dealer has picked 'yours' up recently and at a fair price, I suspect he'll have read the market and realised that anything has to be well priced to shift at this time of year. You are buying at the perfect point of the year. As soon as Xmas is over, thoughts of Spring will start to strengthen demand.

You've a fair bit of protection buying from a dealer. It has to be as described, so as long as it's a real Cali (not another make of conversion, or a 'fake' Cali as warned above).

Don't forget to use the "Used California check list" in the download section before you hand over the cash. I found it very usefull when buying ours.

Good luck.

Thanks all. As always great advice. It is a genuine Cali and yes an SE. I think all the above makes perfect sense and we're just about to book in the RAC check now.

Calikev - it's not advertised online now as we've paid a deposit but it was on eBay up until a few days ago. It might still be on the dealer website.

I know which one it is you're referring to, looks good.

I would check the wheels out at some point as they are non original to the California and look like they stick out quite a bit, but I wouldn't let this put me off as original California wheels can be picked up quite cheaply but make sure they are safe as some spacers may have been used.

The van only has 2 interior rails so you won't be able to fit a 5th seat, but 5th seats are so impractical anyways this shouldn't be a problem.

I would check the roof canvas for tears (very common) and that the roof isn't bent anywhere, also common!

Looks like a good one, enjoy :)

Thanks - the dealer has the original wheels so we've asked him to put them back on. We think the drive with the original wheels is much better. Checked out the roof bellows yesterday and they look great. Just waiting on our RAC check back now. Fingers crossed this could be a great Xmas present to ourselves!!

I would check the wheels out at some point as they are non original to the California and look like they stick out quite a bit, but I wouldn't let this put me off as original California wheels can be picked up quite cheaply but make sure they are safe as some spacers may have been used.

The van only has 2 interior rails so you won't be able to fit a 5th seat, but 5th seats are so impractical anyways this shouldn't be a problem.

I would check the roof canvas for tears (very common) and that the roof isn't bent anywhere, also common!

Thanks - the dealer has the original wheels so we've asked him to put them back on. We think the drive with the original wheels is much better. Checked out the roof bellows yesterday and they look great. Just waiting on our RAC check back now. Fingers crossed this could be a great Xmas present to ourselves!!
Good luck with the checks and congratulations on your new Cali.

Might need a little more advice if possible. Two things following the RAC check:

- we viewed in the dark and didn't see that the bellows have been caught in the roof. I don't think there is a hole but it was anxious from the outside to the RAC guy. Hopefully this will get fixed when the roof corrosion gets fixed. However it could be 12 months before that happens and we have a summer of using the van to get through. Will be mighty cheesed off if we end up getting wet when sleeping upstairs. Thoughts?

- when we test drove we thought the steering felt a bit light. The RAC guy confirmed this but said not a reason not to buy. It drove safely. It was July last time I drove a Cali and I just can't remember how they felt. Both me and my husband noticed it though. Is this something we should be worried about?

Any advice would be really helpful.

Over-Light steering is unusual....usually the problem is the reverse. If the correct tyres are fitted, were they over inflated? Perhaps the vehicle you (both?) usually drive has heavy steering, hence the change in feel.

The shop here sells repair kits for the canvas (until it gets replaced hopefully). The roof can get kinked when the canvas gets trapped, which is why the advice was to look at the lines of the roof.

Thanks. You might be right. We drive a 2007 2l TDi Golf and it does feel a bit heavier. Good to know about repair kits. Hoping to find out tomorrow morning if its registered for the roof repair. If not we need to get it registered fast!

Hi Reserves
Can you tell me what you mean by spacers? The RAC check showed that 2 of the 'original' tyres are worn to just above the legal limit. Wouldn't it be unusual for 2 of the tyres to be worn at this age? I don't know really but a family member questioned it over Xmas when we were telling them.

Hi Reserves
Can you tell me what you mean by spacers? The RAC check showed that 2 of the 'original' tyres are worn to just above the legal limit. Wouldn't it be unusual for 2 of the tyres to be worn at this age? I don't know really but a family member questioned it over Xmas when we were telling them.

Don't worry about this if they have the original alloys.

Spacers are something used sometimes when after market alloys are put on.

Personally if it's RAC checked and you're happy with it I'd be camping in it already :)

I presume this vehicle is 2 wheel drive, not 4Motion. In that case front wheels/tyres will tend to wear quicker than rear as they provide steering + drive. So front tyres might be newish and rear old or vice versa. That is normal. On 4Motion you will tend to find all tyres equal as you should keep the rolling radius very similar front to rear and side to side to avoid problems with the Haldane 4 wheel drive system.

Thanks all. The Cali is now ours! I'm sure we'll be on this site all the time now looking for tips and advice. Can't wait for our first camping trip!

Thanks all. The Cali is now ours! I'm sure we'll be on this site all the time now looking for tips and advice. Can't wait for our first camping trip!

Congrats....
Pictures....!!...;)

Thanks. You might be right. We drive a 2007 2l TDi Golf and it does feel a bit heavier. Good to know about repair kits. Hoping to find out tomorrow morning if its registered for the roof repair. If not we need to get it registered fast!

Back