Any of you have ideas for pop up insulation other than
Brandrup Iso top gor at £500
Used Blake ( named after famous bbc space drama !) for the first overnighter
In seaford east sussex last night and my daughter froze up top

Thanks

Malcolm

Hi

There are a couple of options for you.

One. Is called the Mutze cap and is similar to the brandrup one you mentioned. I believe it is not much cheaper than the brandrup but it is made and sold from Germany. There are other forum members who have bought them and are very pleased with them.
I don't have a website address saved for this unfortunately.

Two. There is a cover called the Vanorak and is UK made and can be bought from thevwcalifonia website.
It is on sale for £250 inc p&p at the moment, and comes in several colours. It has three windows and can be placed on to the van by one person. It also has its own bag made of the same fabric as the Vanorak. I have this one, and can confirm it to be both waterproof and windproof with a great fit. As an example I was camping in Caernavon last september when there was a heavy storm and it kept everything out and kept the heat inside. This is best used for winter and early spring late autumn times. I bought this as it was cheaper than the Mutze and Brandrup ones and before the next one was introduced at the beginning of the year.

Three. Khyam They also do a version called the Cozi which is £199 plus PP. http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=121 ... per%20Cozi

I saw this fitted to California at a camping exhibition in Manchester this year, and IMHO is not as good as the Vanorak. I believe it is made in Vietnam (as is my Khyam motor dome tent is use). The fabric of the Cozi is not as good a quality, and the the bag it comes in was very thin and the fittings to the awning side (if you have it fitted) do not work as well as the Vanorak. There are users in their forum who are delighted with it and can recommend it to you.

The last option I know of is called the pucer screen. This is different to the others as it fits between the hinges and the canvas of the pop up roof, leaving a gap at the rear about a foot long. It is secured with a bungee cord. The link below is from an earlier request about roof insulation. I don't know how much they cost. The maker does not appear to have a website or ebay page. If anyone has the details please let me know.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15

I hope this helps you decide on your next Callie purchase.

Blackmuggle30 said:
My Cali is arriving in a week or so and we're taking a baptism of fire 3mths round Europe with 2 children :crazy so the top will be used everynight.

Many thanks for any thoughts

Hi Blackmuggle, welcome to the forum.
That sounds like an excellent adventure. Please keep us updated as to how it goes.
Luke

Thanks for the information
Is anybody using the Brandup iso top gor pop up
Roof insulation as this is the one I am thinking of gettin
As it is less hassle than the others
Need your furred back please

Malcolm

See the Vanarak only comes in dark blue now - all other colours sold out. Can't help wondering if this means demand has not been good and they're not making any more?

I have also heard of problems getting reply's from the vanorak suppliers regards ordering
I heard they are out of stock. :headwall

malcolm0287 said:
Thanks for the information
Is anybody using the Brandup iso top gor pop up
Roof insulation as this is the one I am thinking of gettin
As it is less hassle than the others
Need your furred back please

Malcolm

We've decided to go with the Brandrup one and expect to receive it next week. We're camping the following week so we'll report back....

Our reasoning was that it didn't need removing and reinstalling every time the roof went up and down.

Simon

We use roof bars a lot so all the "over the top" covers were out.

I'm also not spending £500 on an internal "cover" that doesn't even keep the roof dry! So we got the Pucer roof cover and it's great. Survived dire conditions this weekend, has been fine (with heater on) in zero degrees, is very easy to put on and remove and fits in a dinky bag. See my "review" several posts down.

I ordered a blue Vanarak yesterday and the website showed a new version with "ears". Apparently designed to fit over roof bars. I dont have roof bars, and it cost more money, so I went for an original one.

The original version said it was only available in blue, "for immediate delivery" - which is handy as it will match my blue Cali so I ordered one.

I received an email from them today saying that it will take 5 weeks to send me a blue one as they are made to order but they have grey and black in stock!

Go figure that one out? Not sure they know what they are doing. :crazy

Doug

Sorry to hear of your problems. Have you thought about the mutze cap
From California camping de. They are quite expensive but in most people opinion the best
Quality out there. We have stopped recommending the vanork because of reliability issues and supply problems. You will also qualify for a discount from uli at California camping de
Hope this helps

We have been pleased with our Khyam Kamper Cozi. Khyam seem to have a good reputation.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I will give Uli a call tomorrow to see if he can help me.

Doug.

Hi,

We would appreciate advice on roof covers. We have removed our VW pull out awning and replaced it with the VW slide in connector so we can attach our motordome snugly to the van without the gaps that we had at each end of the awning cassette when we attached it to that.

Can anyone tell me if and how the vanorak would attach to the side that we have the tent connected to? As I'm sure you're aware, the motordome slides into the awning rail connector (the connector slides into the top rail channel on the van). I can't work out from the pictures how we could get the vanorak straps fixed to anything when the motorodome is attached.

Do the Mutze caps fit differently?

Any advice would be gratefully received so we can stay dry this summer! Thanks.

Yes you have answered your own question the vanorak will not attach properly with an awning
Attached without modification the mutze will work with an awning as you attach it differently
The mutze comes with knobs that fit into the awning rail at each end on drivers side you then hook the straps provided over the knobs it also comes with an elastic bungee that hooks over them both to keep it tight. I hope this helps it is a bit difficult to explain. Here is a video
http://www.calicap.de/

Hi Kev,

Many thanks for your reply - and link to really helpful video, the Mutze looks like it will do the job perfectly. Have now got sidetracked and started looking at Pucer too... Looks like it is more insulating in hot and cold weather, but possibly not so watertight. Both seem to have excellent reviews too.

Back