Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

plucking up courage to pop the top!

R

RodgerPrice123

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi All,
three week owner of a 2022 Cali Ocean - and first time owner (gulp)!
Still haven't popped the top yet, (only days out so far!)
Started on the owners manual last night....... wow! Talk about War and Peace!
So excited and desperate to be out and about in Daisy (the day van!) as she is known, but, you know, work gets in the way!
My list of things to sort out:
1. Gas
2. Kettle
3. Change the barrels in the bike lock ( the dealership lost the original keys and have supplied new keys and barrels for me to fit - with no instructions, and their technician couldn't help - 'never done it') If it is not obvious, will be a job for them when I next go over that way!
4. Locate the 'sender' for the aftermarket immobiliser fitted by the tracker technician when the tracker was fitted.
The immobiliser fob on the keys has to be within 5m of the Cali or it won't start, which is fine, except the fob has a battery in it and flashes live every five seconds - if that fails there is an override code to put into the sender unit - spoke to the fitter who has no recollection of where he fitted it!!! I guess the battery in the fob will last for years, but I want to find it, and have a spare battery just in case! I never asked for an immobiliser - just the insurance required tracker!

It's all good fun!

collection!.jpg

Just pop the top! Follow the correct procedure (open hatch, open window, make sure there is room), and hold the button until the noise stops - don’t worry about it changing note towards the end - this is normal. Practise on your drive, or wherever you park the van, so you’re not stressed when away from home. The only tricky thing, which takes a bit of getting used to, is tucking away the canvas under the hatch when lowering. It can be a bit tight at first, but soon loosens up after a few operations. California Chris has a good video on this.

Your Van looks lovely in the showroom...why cant they stay looking like that! :)

Just pop the top! Follow the correct procedure (open hatch, open window, make sure there is room), and hold the button until the noise stops - don’t worry about it changing note towards the end - this is normal. Practise on your drive, or wherever you park the van, so you’re not stressed when away from home. The only tricky thing, which takes a bit of getting used to, is tucking away the canvas under the hatch when lowering. It can be a bit tight at first, but soon loosens up after a few operations. California Chris has a good video on this.

Hi All,
So excited and desperate to be out and about in Daisy (the day van!) as she is known, but, you know, work gets in the way!
1. Gas
2. Kettle
3. Change the barrels in the bike lock ( the dealership lost the original keys and have supplied new keys and barrels for me to fit - with no instructions, and their technician couldn't help - 'never done it') If it is not obvious, will be a job for them when I next go over that way!
4. Locate the 'sender' for the aftermarket immobiliser fitted by the tracker technician when the tracker was fitted.
The immobiliser fob on the keys has to be within 5m of the Cali or it won't start, which is fine, except the fob has a battery in it and flashes live every five seconds - if that fails there is an override code to put into the sender unit - spoke to the fitter who has no recollection of where he fitted it!!! I guess the battery in the fob will last for years, but I want to find it, and have a spare battery just in case! I never asked for an immobiliser - just the insurance required tracker!

It's all good fun!

View attachment 112658
You are going to buzz nicely when you sleep up top. I highly recommend a Duvalay (or 2! - narrowest width if you need 2). They really make it comfortable up there. I prefer sleeping up top even if alone, as I can hear my surroundings (owls and cockerels are common sound tracks). It’s as good as tent camping, but with a hard roof and a heater! I recommend an isotop to really black it out and insulate it. Earplugs are helpful. Honestly I’ve had some of my best nights sleep ever up there.
If it’s forecast to blow more than say 30mph (depends how sheltered I am) I tend to sleep downstairs though. If there’s any real wind, best to park with the rear into it if popping the top.

You are going to buzz nicely when you sleep up top. I highly recommend a Duvalay (or 2! - narrowest width if you need 2). They really make it comfortable up there. I prefer sleeping up top even if alone, as I can hear my surroundings (owls and cockerels are common sound tracks). It’s as good as tent camping, but with a hard roof and a heater! I recommend an isotop to really black it out and insulate it. Earplugs are helpful. Honestly I’ve had some of my best nights sleep ever up there.
If it’s forecast to blow more than say 30mph (depends how sheltered I am) I tend to sleep downstairs though. If there’s any real wind, best to park with the rear into it if popping the top.
I actually find the poptop quite comfy. Downstairs on the comfort mattress is a disaster.

I actually find the poptop quite comfy. Downstairs on the comfort mattress is a disaster.
I have a Zonesleep on the comfort mattress downstairs, which is pretty good

Ouch. At 299 quid for a topper it had better sing lullabies and tell me a bedtime story.
Haha
You sometimes see them here for sale second hand. Think I paid £150…what price good sleep?!

Hi All,
1. Gas
2. Kettle

It's all good fun!

View attachment 112658
You read the manual!

Sounds great! I will investigate Duvalay, thanks!

I’ve not got a topper at all and find sleeping directly on the bed (on a sheet) really comfy. Been having great sleeps down there. Not slept upstairs in the new one yet but feels really comfy with the froli springs when I gave it a go. Not sure why you’d need anything more to be honest.

Sounds great! I will investigate Duvalay, thanks!
If you are going down the duvaley route , go 58 cm wide...two together will fit perfectly downstairs and will therefore fit ok up stairs. you can also get fitted zipped sheets for them. We opted for the thinnest basic one so that when rolled up they fit nicely in the wardrobe, along with normal pillows and on top of the springs and mattress already there is more than comfortable...if you buy bulky things you will regret it. We then just have 2x 4tog summer single duvets on top and if we need more warmth add a fleece blanket or thin unzipped sleeping back...its the layers that are important, not the bulk.

Most important as said above and highlighting again:

When closing, open at least a window (personally I open the sliding door)

But yes go for it and enjoy it! Also I totally understand taking it step by step :thumb

I have a tracker fob that flashes. I got an email when it needed changing. I really like the tracker, it helps lots when I'm lost, which is often.

Two most essential tips:
1. always have a window/door open when opening/closing the poptop
2. don't buy anything until you've tried using the van a few times

Totally agree on the Duvalays. We have two with the zipped sheet duvet cover ensemble for each mattress which make a centre opening double bed. Many find the comfort mattress and existing pop top mattress absolutely fine (so wait and see first how you get on) but I didn't and have never slept so well since using them! We went for the 40mm freshtec and they're lovely.

Hi All,
1. Gas
2. Kettle

It's all good fun!

View attachment 112658