Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Paintwork peeling!!!

Avocet

Avocet

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I havn't posted before as I havn't had a problem till now!
I have an April 2015 Sand Beige Cali (named Helga, due to that German satnav barking orders at me), its been absoutely to best vehicle I have ever owned, BUT after coming back after a 4 week Scandinavian tour I washed her down only to find the paint actually peeling off the front bumper/valance adjacent to number plate. As I hosed it down the paint just lifted there didn't seem any adhesion to the plastic at all in that area!
Fortunatly VW Birmingham have arranged a repair at an approved paint shop under warrenty, but I do think this is rather poor. I have attached a photo, it maybe worth people havinga look around in that area.
Admin: I hope I have posted in the correct placeP1010025.JPG

That is not good at all. I know that painting plastic has to be done very carefully to provide good adhesion. I think you maybe the first on the Forum with this problem.

The only time I have seen something similar was where someone used an industrial power washer on a painted plastic body trim that had been damaged forcing water between the paint and plastic.

Make sure you get a warranty on this that is at least as long as the remainder of the Vehicle Warranty and make sure it is in writing. If they refuse I would get in contact with VW Customer Services.

Same on mine, started happening about 4/5 years ago, I will try and post pictures when not busy painting house in France

I had this problem ages ago in a Ford Mondeo when washing with high pressure hot water from very close. I don't know whether you guys did that (sometimes mosquitoes are hard to peal from out Calis), but this is specifically recommended not to do.

on other cars have had paint come of like that when the bumper has been knocked, no damage noted at time but a few weeks later when washed crack in paint noted then peeling started,

I havn't posted before as I havn't had a problem till now!
I have an April 2015 Sand Beige Cali (named Helga, due to that German satnav barking orders at me), its been absoutely to best vehicle I have ever owned, BUT after coming back after a 4 week Scandinavian tour I washed her down only to find the paint actually peeling off the front bumper/valance adjacent to number plate. As I hosed it down the paint just lifted there didn't seem any adhesion to the plastic at all in that area!
Fortunatly VW Birmingham have arranged a repair at an approved paint shop under warrenty, but I do think this is rather poor. I have attached a photo, it maybe worth people havinga look around in that area.
Admin: I hope I have posted in the correct placeView attachment 17125
I could understand that from a high pressure hose but I only ever use a sprinkler head,

If you use a strong plastic/nylon trim tool to prise the outside edge (RH side of your vehicle, LH of your photo) away from the bumper body to just after the bend, the front part should slide away from the body of the bumper (again towards the RH of your vehicle). They are quite tight, it might help if you can access the inside of the bumper to have a clearer view of what's exactly required to remove them, good luck.
Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back