Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OVER 60 ?

D

Derek Lawson

We are considering a SWB Cali and would like to know if there are any over 60's out there who are sold on the idea. I can't see us buying one without a loo........does that mean we have to consider the LWB or a conversion ? DL

California is only available in SWB guise. It's no Motorhome.

Don't take this the wrong way but the only way you are going to get a loo is a small Porta Potty and it's not something either the California or T5 conversions are particularly suited to.

Some people do have them but I think usage is limiting and they take up valuable space. I guess you could carry one and use it in an awning or loo tent but do you want to be doing that??

I'm 67 and the missus 65.
We've spent a month in France with the Cali and a month in the outer Hebrides and countless trips up the West Coast of Scotland and Skye. We're going to Portugal next May.

We have a porta potti and an oztent toilet tent we use when not using site facilitiies and find it fine.

We like the fact that the Cali (we've a 4x4) can go over any surface and get into tight corners and that it's regarded as a car on Ferries.

If you want a moving bungalow with showers, toilet and wide screen plasma tv then I guess it's not for you :)
Good luck.

Thanks for the responses to my "over 60" query. I have some experience of hired motorhomes but prefer the idea of something smaller if I can get the loo issue sorted. Thanks for the ideas.....still interested and looking forward to the Birmingham Motorhomes show where I hope the smaller vehicles will be on show. DL

Slight diversion
barry said:
we have a porta potti and an oztent toilet tent we use when not using site facilitiies and find it fine.

How do you find the Oz tent, and how do you fit it in the Cali (being 2m long), is space down the side (under) of the rear bench long enough?

Thanks

tomartinh said:
Slight diversion
barry said:
we have a porta potti and an oztent toilet tent we use when not using site facilitiies and find it fine.

How do you find the Oz tent, and how do you fit it in the Cali (being 2m long), is space down the side (under) of the rear bench long enough?

Thanks

Coincidentally my younger son, his partner, their toddler and 3 monther are taking the OzTent R2 and Cali to Tiree tomorrow.

The R2 fits in the space you've identified. In spite of the dimensions appearing to be favourable, the fit is VERY tight indeed but made much easier by moving the bench forward quite a bit. It means that the lower cupboard next to the fridge is fairly inaccesible while the R2 is stowed which will be a nuisance for some.

The R2 is expensive, ugly and bulky but bullet proof in the West of Scotland winds we have and we like it. We threw away our first tent (A Khyman?? Tourer). We've used it on mainland europe too.

We also have an Oztent toilet tent CR1 I think which we use with the portapotti when we're travelling without the big one.

Oztents make a more modern version of the Rs (Jet tents or something) which have exo rather than endo skeletons and are more compact to stow - but I've never seen one yet. I understand that they are made in Asia somewhere with man made materials not in Oz with good Oz cotton.

Hope this helps and good luck if you get one.

barry

We have a '07 California and it came with the porta potti and the tray it sits in.

Now were not 60 (yet) but as far as I know, our toilet habits must be about the same!!

Its only a tiny unit and lets just say you would want to fall asleep on it but it does the job (or jobbie!!)

I don't like the way it fits under the sink but it has to go somewhere. Without going into too much detail, we put it in the boot when it's been "used" between sites where we can empty it.

Saying that, forget using it with the lower bed out but it's fine in the night if your only using the roof (when there is 2 of us). Oh, dont buy it as a option, I found it cheaper direct but you will still need to order the tray from VW or Brandrup.

Got the porta potti in the back fits nice with the storage boxes ..leave it in the drive away awning or in the pop up tent when not in use when we have the van awning out ..
When the seat is pulled forward the potti sits in front if it with enough room around it when the passenger seat is pushed forward or rotated ... ( when we have girls aboard that is )

We use ours with the lower bed out, not much room but just enough.
Can't work out why my brother in law's Murvi has more room for the potti when the bed is out but it has.