Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

7 seats? Confused.

M

mpppen

Hello all,

I have some new newbie questions so go easy one me!

We've toyed with the idea of buying a campervan for a while and are fans of VW's (Currently have a Tiguan and a Touran and just sold an Eos). My wife wants to downsize to a golf which means I need to trade up to a larger car (7 seats would be nice for in-laws etc). I also want 4WD and the Cali Camper would be nice for us and our 10yr old twins to go off for long weekends to see who snores the most.

Which model has seven seat options (if any) and does that mean I can't have the kitchenette (or whatever it's called)?

Thanks

mpppen said:
Hello all,

I have some new newbie questions so go easy one me!

We've toyed with the idea of buying a campervan for a while and are fans of VW's (Currently have a Tiguan and a Touran and just sold an Eos). My wife wants to downsize to a golf which means I need to trade up to a larger car (7 seats would be nice for in-laws etc). I also want 4WD and the Cali Camper would be nice for us and our 10yr old twins to go off for long weekends to see who snores the most.

Which model has seven seat options (if any) and does that mean I can't have the kitchenette (or whatever it's called)?

Thanks

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

If you are set on 4WD, here in the UK, you'll be looking at a full VW California. This has the kitchen unit and wardrobe and two seats as standard in the back with a so called 5th seat as an optional extra.

if you want seven seats then you'll be looking at a California Beach, as i said, no 4WD here in the UK. There are two versions - only the version with a three seater bench in the rear has the ability to have two additional seats fitted.

The California Beach is not a full Camper but you could add a kitchen module from a third party supplier to it which sits on the rail system so it is removable.

Hope this helps

James

You could try getting a 4motion transporter converted privately. Lots of good converters around if you are interested. It cost similar price to a good second hand Cali

MisterTea said:
You could try getting a 4motion transporter converted privately. Lots of good converters around if you are interested. It cost similar price to a good second hand Cali

That's a good idea, might be hard to find one and price may be quite high once converted.

One overlooked fact with the Beach and in particular the California is the vehicles they are based on. The Beach is based on a German Multivan Startline and the full California on the Multivan Comfortline. Multivans are very different vehicles to a standard Transporter, particularly the Comfortline, you only have to look at the door cards and in LHD form the dash. They are a lot more refined and built for the job and you also get more equipment. Sourcing a second hand Transporter with a similar spec to a full Cali will hard. If these things do not matter and it is just about the camping that's fine but it's probably worth considering all these things before making your decision.

James

Thanks all.

Dang that's a shame. I was really hoping for an off-the-shelf solution.

I don't suppose you can get a full Cali with three seats in the front - driver and two bench? then, with three rear seats I'd have 6 which would be fine.

If not I'll have a look at the T5 conversion route or consider which of the options we can do without.

Cheers

Looking online I came up with this kind of setup which I guess I would have loved in a Cali but it seems it's not to be.

This kind of set up would be perfect as I image the middle seat can be taken out and just used as and when needed.

6019_12_20101104170954.jpg

If I am not mistaken, there is a limitation for the second raw of seats in the 4WD version. At least in California Beach and SE (Comfortline), additional seats (or one of them) cannot be installed.

Thanks for the help and replies.

I've been avidly reading up on this to see how we can swing it and am not a million miles away from Bilbo's so will wander down there to have a look.

4MOTION Caravelle will have 7 seats and you can get a day bed option for the rear. No raising roof though, but you could add it afterwards

cheers

smgcowfold said:
4MOTION Caravelle will have 7 seats and you can get a day bed option for the rear. No raising roof though, but you could add it afterwards

cheers

Hi Alex

That's interesting. I didn't think about that Intake it that although the 4 motion beaches are not available in the UK they can have 7 seats. Which kind of males senses because irrespective of what Beach you have they all have the same rail system.

You could consider converting a Shuttle perhaps?

James

Back