Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems setting up bed in 7 seater configuration

N

natty

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi there,

Fairly recently purchased our Beach, and got 7 seats, as we are 6 in total when everyone is around.
Haven't actually managed to get away in it yet, but as we had planned on camping over easter, we set it up on the drive yesterday for the first time. Twins in the pop top, my other half and middle child downstairs, and I was safely tucked away in bed. (the 4th child is not with us this week)
However, we had some problems trying to put the bed out with the middle seats in place, had seen a vid online -
where the middle seats are moved as far forward as they can be and the rear bench happily folds down easy peasy.
When we tried it, the only way we could get it to work, even with the rear shelf half folded down, was to remove the black plastic run stops for the middle row seats, which allowed them to go forward further and only then was there enough room to fold the bench into its bed position.
Clearly we are doing something wrong, can anyone explain?

thanks
Nat

20200412_190750.jpg

20200309_130646.jpg

Hi there,

Fairly recently purchased our Beach, and got 7 seats, as we are 6 in total when everyone is around.
Haven't actually managed to get away in it yet, but as we had planned on camping over easter, we set it up on the drive yesterday for the first time. Twins in the pop top, my other half and middle child downstairs, and I was safely tucked away in bed. (the 4th child is not with us this week)
However, we had some problems trying to put the bed out with the middle seats in place, had seen a vid online -
where the middle seats are moved as far forward as they can be and the rear bench happily folds down easy peasy.
When we tried it, the only way we could get it to work, even with the rear shelf half folded down, was to remove the black plastic run stops for the middle row seats, which allowed them to go forward further and only then was there enough room to fold the bench into its bed position.
Clearly we are doing something wrong, can anyone explain?

thanks
Nat

View attachment 57438

View attachment 57439

There are several ways to do it.

The long bed 2.2 metres, uses the shortened multiflex, bench in bed mode and both additional seats. Looking at your pic, I think this is what you tried, but you hadn’t rotated the middle row seats.

Another option (2.0m) is the long multiflex, bench in table mode and both additional seats.

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks for the reply. I have had a long look at your linked post, and it looks like the seats are pointing the same way as yours are. we tried facing them forwards, backwards and sideways with no change in spacing. It does look to me that your bench seat is sitting a bit lower than mine, although in both pics they seem to be the same height as the folded middle row seats.
I'll take everything out and have another crack at it tomorrow.

thanks again for your help

Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 21.35.58.png

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I have had a long look at your linked post, and it looks like the seats are pointing the same way as yours are. we tried facing them forwards, backwards and sideways with no change in spacing. It does look to me that your bench seat is sitting a bit lower than mine, although in both pics they seem to be the same height as the folded middle row seats.
I'll take everything out and have another crack at it tomorrow.

thanks again for your help

View attachment 57441

Yes - it does look like you have the middle row seats facing the same way as mine.

A couple of things you might want to check
- the multiflex is in the rearmost position
- the front edge of the multiflex is folded down
- the bench seat in the bed position is fully pushed back hard against the multiflex
- the middle row seats are fully pushed back against the bench seat in bed mode

I know these all sound obvious, but it’s worth checking methodically. I cannot recall having to remove the rail stops to make up the long bed.

Yes - it does look like you have the middle row seats facing the same way as mine.

A couple of things you might want to check
- the multiflex is in the rearmost position
- the front edge of the multiflex is folded down
- the bench seat in the bed position is fully pushed back hard against the multiflex
- the middle row seats are fully pushed back against the bench seat in bed mode

I know these all sound obvious, but it’s worth checking methodically. I cannot recall having to remove the rail stops to make up the long bed.
I have never had to remove the rail stops, but there is almost no leeway. You have to find the exact position for the bench, otherwise it will be blocked by either the multiflex or the second row seats. @Amarillo is right, make sure the multiflex is in the rearmost position.

Frankly, when I have the second row seats in, I find @Amarillo to have the best solution: just fold the bench and the second row seats forward into table position, with the multiflex fully extended, then throw the comfort matress over. This gives a large bed, with much more foot room ahead of the bed.

I have zoomed in on my long bed setup, and reckon my middle row seats are eight floor 'squares' back from the front seats, and yours are five floor squares back. At the very bottom of the picture you can just make out the floor stop in place.

If I recall correctly, the multiflex in the rearmost position fully overlaps the floor lashing points.

IMG_2640 (2).JPG

1586732841451.png

Hi

took some pictures which hopefully illustrate I am not bonkers..
Cant move the multiflex back any further, and with it folded down, there is no spot for the seat belt 'heads' to sit into. There is clearly not much in it, shown by the grotty closeup picture of the seat in the rails.
We do have the mattress which is thicker at one end than the other, which I guess is made for the instance where the rear bench is folded forward rather than backward.
Just want a way to do it without having to faff with the middle seats..

thanks for your help again

20200413_154916.jpg

20200413_154928.jpg

20200413_155251.jpg

20200413_155100.jpg

20200413_154945.jpg

20200413_155105.jpg

20200413_155110.jpg

As @Amarillo said above, the multiflex can still go further back, completely covering the chrome lashing loops.

Not the best picture, but I can’t get to my van during lockdown. You can barely see that the left foot of the multi flex is covering the lashing loop.

F3D7106A-FBA8-440F-9FF0-6F95AC5D38B2.jpeg

I'll have another go at shifting the multiflex back further. Thanks very much

Here's the multiflex covering the lashing point.

Moving the multiflex about is an art in itself.
Loosen the black nut completely.
Twizell the oval shaped clamp until it pops up and rotate by 90 degrees.
Repeat the other side and the multiflex is free.

IMG_0187 (2).JPG

Moving the multiflex about is an art in itself.
Loosen the black nut completely.
Twizell the oval shaped clamp until it pops up and rotate by 90 degrees.
Repeat the other side and the multiflex is free.

Thanks for that, I have not managed to move mine yet so I'm going to try this!!!

Let us know how you got on - and you @natty
Thank you Tom, I could manage to move the multiflex now! Just needed to push the oval shape back down once the black nut is loose so that it can turn 90deg and pop up. I pulled it back over the lashing points as we don't use them yet.
We have 7 seats (usually only in 5 seat mode), so I doubt I will need to set up the bed with them in it but it is useful to know now I can make that extra 3cm if needed!

You will know that the multiflex is in the correct position when you can no longer access the 12v outlet because it is obscured by the black nut. :mad:

You will know that the multiflex is in the correct position when you can no longer access the 12v outlet because it is obscured by the black nut. :mad:
Mine came from the factory with a Magcode Pro locking connector, I suppose for that very reason, as the connection is lateral. I wonder if VW fitted that for it's very limited coolbox. I might try to use it for a fridge, although it looks like I'll have to rewire the plug.

Last edited: