Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ok to get to separate dashcams for front and rear?

Deadsquirrel!

Deadsquirrel!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
So instead of buying and having to wire all the way from the front to back, any major disadvantages of just buying two and connect the rear one to the usb port?

Power.
You’ll need a minimum of 2 solar panels to run them. Or risk depleting your Lesuire batterys.
No usb in rear. You’d need a 12v to usb connector.
That’s run off Lesuire batt.

That is how we run them @Deadsquirrel! There is no issue with power loss from the leisure battery. The rear is plugged in at the right of the bench seat and the front is behind the passenger seat. (our van daily drive so not stood any length of time). Leave the rear running when parked at home view up our drive. I think most people hard-wire them but this way works fine for us. By running the front ones wiring around the edge it hides it whereas if using the plug in centre console the wire has to run across the dash.

Thanks both. So assuming I’ll only be using it while driving, there is no issue right.
We don’t use the van that often so power drain while stationary is a concern.

That is how we run them @Deadsquirrel! There is no issue with power loss from the leisure battery. The rear is plugged in at the right of the bench seat and the front is behind the passenger seat. (our van daily drive so not stood any length of time). Leave the rear running when parked at home view up our drive. I think most people hard-wire them but this way works fine for us. By running the front ones wiring around the edge it hides it whereas if using the plug in centre console the wire has to run across the dash.
Which dashcam do you use?
I use

VIOFO A119 V3 Dash Cam (one front, one rear)​

In setup I’ve chosen to use motion detection for overnight parking. Uses around 0.1v from the Lesuire batts every night.
This is why I have Solar.
My California is parked up for 4 to 5 days a week.

Thanks both. So assuming I’ll only be using it while driving, there is no issue right.
We don’t use the van that often so power drain while stationary is a concern.
If you don’t use the van that often, then try to setup to only use 4 hour parking.
Then they should switch off.
But keep an eye on the Lesuire battery voltage.
Let us know how you get on

I use

In setup I’ve chosen to use motion detection for overnight parking. Uses around 0.1v from the Lesuire batts every night.
Fairly basic Nextbase cameras.As I say driven daily

I use

@Californication69 How did you find running the cable for the rear dashcam from the front to the rear of the van?
What route did you use? TIA

Last edited:
The basic Nextbase cameras are good value but you can get the same camera badged as ”Voyager” from ALDI for even less. The support contact in the UK is the same as Nextbase, so well worth a punt.
worth knowing if I need to replace and want similar in future

The basic Nextbase cameras are good value but you can get the same camera badged as ”Voyager” from ALDI for even less. The support contact in the UK is the same as Nextbase, so well worth a punt.
we have a couple of the voyager dash cams one plugged into the front 12v socket on the top of the dash. And the rear one is plugged into the 12 v socket in the rear of the van.
the front one I unplug every time because it has a satnav in the same double connector.
The rear one I leave plugged in all the time and doesn’t unduly cause the leisure batteries to run down too quickly But obviously quicker than being unplugged.
Because the glass is quite tinted at the rear the cam is not easy to see unless you look closely.
Peace of mind for only a few quid.

if you do decide to hardwire its not that much of a faff, i ran the cable using a metal coat hager bent straight and fed it along above the side door into the void above the drivers door popping out the roof leds to see progress, and finnaly across to the mirror, at the rear it goes across to the middle above the plastic facia and sticks onto the facia behind the drop down storage so it stays in place even with the rear door open, all works really well and very few wires showing.

Hello Deadsquirrel!
I have done exactly what you are asking. Please find attached my thread detailing how it was done. Whilst, discovering the best way to do it, which wasn't easy, now I know what's involved it doesn't present too many issues. The single biggest issue was getting the wiring into the tailgate from the rubber wiring umbilical and then out from within to the rear dash cam itself . However, that is also relatively easy once you know how. If you want to have a go then please read my thread from start to finish including post #82.

If you want to discuss the fitment in more detail please send me a PM and I'll send you my contact details.

Best wishes
Paul

@Californication69 How did you find running the cable for the rear dashcam from the front to the rear of the van?
What route did you use? TIA
I have two separate A119’s
They run independently of each other.
The rear one is plugged into a 12v and USB multi plug (I’ve connected it to the rear Lesuire battery via a 10 amp fuse )
The multi plug sits on the top shelf in the wardrobe.
(I have yes shelves additional in wardrobe)

OOWOLF [Upgraded Version] Cigarette Lighter Splitter 2 QUICK CHARGE 3.0, Type-C 12V/24V Cigarette Lighter Adapter, 3-Socket 180W Car Charger Splitter, LED Voltmeter Display Separate Switch https://amzn.eu/d/j3nag6F

I have two separate A119’s
They run independently of each other.
The rear one is plugged into a 12v and USB multi plug (I’ve connected it to the rear Lesuire battery via a 10 amp fuse )
The multi plug sits on the top shelf in the wardrobe.
(I have yes shelves additional in wardrobe)

OOWOLF [Upgraded Version] Cigarette Lighter Splitter 2 QUICK CHARGE 3.0, Type-C 12V/24V Cigarette Lighter Adapter, 3-Socket 180W Car Charger Splitter, LED Voltmeter Display Separate Switch https://amzn.eu/d/j3nag6F
@Californication69 Hi. I'm a technical numpty so I'd like to unashamedly ask a big favour, if I may, please? Would you be able to show a couple of pics of the cable run from the rear leisure battery to the rear dashcam please? I've had a look at the possibilities for running the cable, but am nervous about not getting it right. Thanks in advance

@Californication69 Hi. I'm a technical numpty so I'd like to unashamedly ask a big favour, if I may, please? Would you be able to show a couple of pics of the cable run from the rear leisure battery to the rear dashcam please? I've had a look at the possibilities for running the cable, but am nervous about not getting it right. Thanks in advance
No problemo. I’ll take some pics tonight.
If I forget, send me another message / PM

Thanks, owe you one. Shame you don't live next door haha
IMG_7466.jpegIMG_7467.jpeg
IMG_7469.jpeg
IMG_7470.jpeg
So the A119 camera sticky pad stuck on the back window really nicely. But the camera fell off the pad. So I superglued the camera gps quick release mech onto the sticky pad. Nice and stuck now. The A119 can be unslotted from the gps mech. The usb to micro usb connects to the gps mech. So stays in that position all the time. The blind closes nicely. The position of the rear camera is just enough that the rear window wipe wipes across where the lens is, if it’s raining or you need to clean the rear window. The cable was put through the top of the cupboard by using the biggest widest screwdriver and easing the plastic away from cupboard. Couldn’t get enough purchase, so used a flat pry bar. Then fed into the top cupboard and tie clipped up. Stays there nicely. Plugs into my OOWolf.
OOWolf is wired into my Solar Lesuire BATT1 connector. With a 10Amp fuse.
15Amp fuse from Lesuire to Duo Racer.
Hope this helps.

IMG_7469.jpeg

View attachment 111561View attachment 111562
View attachment 111564
View attachment 111565
So the A119 camera sticky pad stuck on the back window really nicely. But the camera fell off the pad. So I superglued the camera gps quick release mech onto the sticky pad. Nice and stuck now. The A119 can be unslotted from the gps mech. The usb to micro usb connects to the gps mech. So stays in that position all the time. The blind closes nicely. The position of the rear camera is just enough that the rear window wipe wipes across where the lens is, if it’s raining or you need to clean the rear window. The cable was put through the top of the cupboard by using the biggest widest screwdriver and easing the plastic away from cupboard. Couldn’t get enough purchase, so used a flat pry bar. Then fed into the top cupboard and tie clipped up. Stays there nicely. Plugs into my OOWolf.
OOWolf is wired into my Solar Lesuire BATT1 connector. With a 10Amp fuse.
15Amp fuse from Lesuire to Duo Racer.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 111563
That's brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to do this, it's much appreciated