Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil cooler recalls

J

jerrythegerman

VIP Member
Hello, hoping that Alex may be able to help out here.

I have a small amount of oil that has appeared in the water expansion tank. No water in the oil.

I read elsewhere that there was a recall for faulty oil coolers on 2006-7 models and mine was built late 2006 and registered 2007.

Does anyone know what was changed. I have full vw service history but i suspect that VW may tell me to take a running jump!!
Anyone got any history of this?

I'm certain Alex is on Holiday at the moment.

The term recall is one that is often used in haste by owners and dealers alike. To explain, a recall is where the manufacturer must make all efforts to contact the owner and have the vehicle fixed and these are listed on the VOSA website.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

I checked and there is nothing applicable to the T5 that meets your concerns.

What you, like most, are probably confusing it with is a campaign. A manufacturer can do this to ensure affected vehicles are fixed during routine service visits or in extreme cases by contacting the owner directly. When you say you have a FVWSH it should mean that when you took your van to the dealers they should have checked on the system if any campaigns or workshop actions were outstanding for your vehicle.

That's not the end of it though - Some campaigns are only actioned when a customer reports a specific symptom or issue to the dealer which is then investigated and checked for applicability.

I had a quick rummage around with google and it apears there is a campaign for Oil Coolers on T5 2.5's -

T5
Model Year 2007 - 2008
Campaign 17C6 - Oil cooler

On all affected T5 vehicles with 5 cylinder diesel engine oil can get into the coolant circuit because of leaks in the oil cooler. On all affected vehicles the oil cooler must be changed as a precautionary measure.
On some vehicles the thread of the oil filter attachment on the oil filter module must also be measured according to the repair instructions and if necessary the oil filter module replaced.

The check and repair are, of course, free of charge to you.

Thanks stu, I'll be getting on to my local dealer this morning to see what can be done.

It's only a small amount and typically I am due to go camping in it this weekend. Its built up over a couple of weeks I think as the first sign of it is the coolent fluid level indicator on the dash. The water level is fine but I can only presume, the oil film covers the sensor prongs and set's off the alarm.

I need to find out if I can continue to use it a little and get it booked in or shut off the engine and not use it until its resolved.

Sadly I don't think it will be a quick fix.

It'll be in at the dealers for a day to investigate and then if necessary for VW to approve the repair and then assuming the cooler is in UK stock it'll be ordered over night and if you're lucky fitted the following day.

I think if you are only going short distances it would probably be OK to use it but I wouldn't want to head off to the south of France with it.

Just been onto the dealer now and the chap had not heard of that one and I had to explain the term campaign!!

He has gone away to look into it with the warrenty man at the dealership and will come back to me this morning.

I'm expecting a big bill as he also raised the point of changing the water pump too (though I told him there is no water in the oil)

Its a 150 mile round trip if I decide to go...its actually going to be sunny this weekend too!!

I'm not 100% on the 2.5 but many VW's are fitted with plastic impellers on the water pumps so it's not uncommon to replace these when doing a job that involves going anywhere near it. They are only about £20-£25 normally.

Oil in the water is much better than water in the oil. I think you'll be OK with 150 miles but of course you should be watchful of the system and I'd make sure you have AA/RAC.

Main dealer came back saying that there was no indication it would affect my chassis number.....

I beg to differ.

They have gone off to price up the parts and will get back to me with costs for replacement but I may look into this myself if its a reachable job.

Failing that, there is a really good 3rd party VW garage near us called Awsome GTI. They have been great in the past and they recently changed my oil level sensor and the brake distribution sensor for the ABS at a very reasonable cost TBH.

In the meantime Ihave K sealed it in the hope it will slow it down.

I'll feed back the updates as and when.

Quick update.....but not on the Cali!!

(The dealership still have not got back to me...suprise, suprise)

Just when I though my day couldn't get any worse (or potentially expensive!!) my wife calls from her short and deserved break with our 3 year old in Centre Parks to say that she has had the AA out to our non starting 09 plate Golf GTD. They report back that the engine management has thrown a wobbler (after talking through it with VW!!)

Its 4 month's out of Warranty......

So, some one please point me in the direction of my Local Honda garage!! I may have a mass trade in!!

Main dealer price £375 +vat for the cooler replacement plus flush out.

Then another £64 for a flush and it could need 2 x or 5x of them depending how much oil is in the system.

If you can wait another week til he's back off holiday speak to Alex.

Jim Cotton, the guy that owns Awesome is a really nice guy. :thumb

The T5 is booked in at awsome for Wednesday as the main dealer wasnt budging and I've not had a great service from them in the past TBH (see other threads)

I think that in the future I may get the service stamps from the main dealer for the book (if I ever come to sell it, people love that!!) but any work will be going awsomes way (though I it could be that awsome get all the work TBH!!)

There seems to be a real lack of interest up here in regard to these vans when it's a california or out of warranty to be honest.

They were very interested when it came to selling me one.....

If a private company set up and were trained in the California's extra bits then they would make hay in my opionon...maybe it's something I should turn too. the only reason I dont do my own is that I'm too busy with work.

Oh... the Golf....awaiting the main dealer call on that one....will need to be sitting down me fears!!

Stu said:
How did you get on??

Unless you were asking how I did at the Honda dealers??? :rofl

I've not got there yet...I love the van too much for that TBH and after a hard think, I cannot honestly think of another production car that fit's our needs better....for now. :D

update....on the Golf.

Loose dashboard connection was playing havoc with the engine management computer. Dash taken out, connection checked and remade. Now all fine.

VW Altringham are charging £56 investigation fee and I am a happy man now (well happier, I may sleep tonight!!)

Now just the van to sort.

£56 is not too bad then, 30 mins labour I guess.

I would still pursue VW for the van if I were you, keep Awesome on the back burner for a bit. I think Alex is back from holiday today so may be worth giving him a call.

Alex couldn't really help so I went with Awsome this morning.

They have called me back later this morning and it's not engine oil, it's gearbox oil (mines a auto).

It's a bit more of a job but they give me a accurate quote including plenty of flushing! And fresh gearbox fluid.

Still, it should be right and it's not like it's at the point/value of scrapping !!

They even apologised and justified the cost by breakdown!

So far, their service has been excellent.

Apologies for not replying to your PM sooner, but have been extremely busy the last couple of days. I checked the chassi number that came from your reg, but that lists your vehicle as a T5 panel van that is a T32 and a 130ps not a 174. If you can supply me with the chassis number I can check again for you.

If it was not covered by the campaing, then you could ask your dealer to speak to VW Customer Care to see if they can get some goodwill towards the repair? Always worth an ask,

cheers

Thanks alex, just seen you have posted. The reg plate was indeed on another T5 before I bought it so that makes sense.

In the end, it was the auto gear box that was putting oil into the water system. A new auto transmission oil cooler, 2 pipes, 50 ltrs of flush, new antifreeze and complete gearbox oil later plus labour, its as good as new.

Just don't ask me how much...it still hurts thinking about it!!

Still, it's back to being my best freind again now.

Just a note, I did think that I might look round to see what would (if I made the jump!!) replace it and in short, nothing was up to the job for me apart from a new one. To get the spec i currently have, it would mean finding around £18k so I'll be keeping (and loving again!!) the one I have.

And I can honestly say, Awsome GTI were top draw on the service, updates and cost. Mine's out of warranty by 2 years now and they will be getting my work from now on seeings SMG are a little out of the way for me (by about 250 miles one way!)

Has anybody had problems with road debris damaging oil intercoolers, if so has anybody fitted a grill to stop this happening?

Back