Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oh, what to do?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I know the subject of time and distance verses variable servicing has been touched on in several previous threads but despite my searching I cannot find a definitive answer to my question and suspect I never will.

I purchased a brand new T6 Beach one year ago. In that year, mainly due to Covid, I have done less that three thousand miles. When I purchased said vehicle I bought a service plan that expires on the 24th October 2027 or 200,000 miles which ever comes first. It features 2 x minor and 2 x major services and an MOT. Unless my circumstances change I/we intend this vehicle to be a keeper. The question is which servicing regime do I use? It's currently on long life variable servicing. I have booked it in for an annual service but am in two minds whether to cancel it.

Both of my previous vans were on Long Life Servicing with no issues. Also the T6 samples the oil and tells the owner when to have it serviced so should there be any real need to worry? The thing that keeps nagging at me comes from my past when I was always told that with low mileages one should change the oil much more frequently. Anyone else in the same boat?

I know the subject of time and distance verses variable servicing has been touched on in several previous threads but despite my searching I cannot find a definitive answer to my question and suspect I never will.

I purchased a brand new T6 Beach one year ago. In that year, mainly due to Covid, I have done less that three thousand miles. When I purchased said vehicle I bought a service plan that expires on the 24th October 2027 or 200,000 miles which ever comes first. It features 2 x minor and 2 x major services and an MOT. Unless my circumstances change I/we intend this vehicle to be a keeper. The question is which servicing regime do I use? It's currently on long life variable servicing. I have booked it in for an annual service but am in two minds whether to cancel it.

Both of my previous vans were on Long Life Servicing with no issues. Also the T6 samples the oil and tells the owner when to have it serviced so should there be any real need to worry? The thing that keeps nagging at me comes from my past when I was always told that with low mileages one should change the oil much more frequently. Anyone else in the same boat?

Low mileage is not really an issue..but if it has only used for short trips then annual better than long life.

Low mileage is not really an issue..but if it has only used for short trips then annual better than long life.
That's what I've always thought. However I'm starting to question that. As I understand things, it's only really the oil quality that's at issue and that's monitored by the clever stuff under the bonnet. Modern oils have improved so much and Long Life oil has been specially developed for extended service periods. Mostly every thing else either self adjusts, or is sealed for life so why would annual servicing be better? If it's to check the dpf then I usually give the warmed up engine a regular good 20 minute run in a low gear + around 3000rpm. I can't see any garage doing that. Everything else I can check myself.

I don't know the definitive answer but I've yet to find anything specific that supports annual servicing over variable under these circumstances.

That's what I've always thought. However I'm starting to question that. As I understand things, it's only really the oil quality that's at issue and that's monitored by the clever stuff under the bonnet. Modern oils have improved so much and Long Life oil has been specially developed for extended service periods. Mostly every thing else either self adjusts, or is sealed for life so why would annual servicing be better? If it's to check the dpf then I usually give the warmed up engine a regular good 20 minute run in a low gear + around 3000rpm. I can't see any garage doing that. Everything else I can check myself.

I don't know the definitive answer but I've yet to find anything specific that supports annual servicing over variable under these circumstances.
I”m new to VAG and currently have had Skoda for a year in which the computer came and told me I need to change the oil. I have driven Mercedes for company cars for the previous 20 yrs and on those the computer calculated type of driving and use then told me when oil was due for changing, generally anything between 15 - 20k.

I am with you Boris oils have greater life and are in the main synthetic and made for job with chemistry. To me an annual oil change is questionable , back in my early years when I used to work on Diesel engines yes because we were using mineral oil.

Every other manufacturers seems to use service intervals as a usp because the said intervals are getting longer. VAG?

Think I would go for another 12 months and service then -given it will still be less than 15k on the clock (I expect) - our T6 normally asks for an oil change at about 15k which apart from this year is at about 12months.

I went for oil change by local garage at year 1 then VW service at year 2 (2 service package pre-purchased) then another local oil change at year 3.
Only done under 19K miles to date, very little this year, and plan was for final VW service at year 4 plus other 4 year requirements.
Tend to stick to yearly services regardless of mileage,
Wife's car will have its 3rd service in Dec but hasn't done 9K miles in total.

I think that the longer ownership is planned the more likely any benefit from a strict servicing regime will be had by you rather than any future owner.

If it were mine and a keeper, I’d drop the oil every 12 months even if the mileage didn’t dictate.
So my next question is would an extra oil change done by yours truly, whilst on the variable servicing regime throw the whole thing out? I don't pretend to know how it works but if the service interval is dictated by the oil quality and I've just changed it then surely the next service will have just been punted even further into the future? Net result, little benefit.

As it stands I have another seven years or 200,000 miles before the two minor and two major services plus MOT, prepaid service contract expires. The variable regime would work out more cost effective long term whereas if I change to time distance i'll have used up my services after four years. The mechanical benefits of the latter remain unclear.

Last edited:
Hi Borris

Have you asked the dealer service manager for his/her thoughts. Personally I would drop the oil every year as Elmo said.

So my next question is would an extra oil change done by yours truly, whilst on the variable servicing regime throw the whole thing out? I don't pretend to know how it works but if the service interval is dictated by the oil quality and I've just changed it then surely the next service will have just been punted even further into the future? Net result, little benefit.

As it stands I have another seven years or 200,000 miles before the two minor and two major services plus MOT, prepaid service contract expires. The variable regime would work out more cost effective long term whereas if I change to time distance i'll have used up my services after four years. The mechanical benefits of the latter remain unclear.

Entirely up to you. With Elmo 1 (T6 Ocean) I too had the service pack. My dealer (Liverpool) said I could use it whenever I liked, so adopted my own 12 month or 10K miles servicing regime. In this case I won’t benefit in the long run but it gave the buyer complete confidence in the vehicle that I maintained it as best I possibly could.

You have 2 service notifications on LongLife.
1. Oil change, dictated by oil quality sensors. Anything upto 20k miles
2. Inspection interval, timed at 2 yrs or 730 days.

In the ideal world Oil and Inspection would match every 2 yrs.
However, they rarely do. So you could have an early Oil Service and a 2 yearly Inspection so I very much doubt if your Service package would last the 7 yrs you anticipate.

So change the oil every year. Every 2nd year the oil change would be tied in with the Inspection. In between you can change the oil, with or without an oil filter change.

I serviced my engine myself this year. Oil. Oil a filter. Fuel filter. Pollen filter and air cleaner. Did it all for less than a hundred quid including the Castrol edge 5 30 oil. It's pretty straight forward if your mechanically minded.if you have camping ramps it's even easier if you st it on them to start with.
I dispose my old oils and filters at work. You may have to look into that. Have an old container ready with a lid to put old oil in. Maybe an empty ad blue tub.

Service intervals seem to be aimed at the company lease / fleet market (ie - minimal outlay for 36/48months, hence long gap between services). Vehicle is then handed back at the end of this term and then van outside of warranty and new owner may then change to non dealer servicing.

If you plan on keeping the van long term with low annual mileage then might be worth an annual DIY oil change (but don’t reset the service reminder, as will still come in for the 24month); Be interesting to see if the engine sensor tech picks up on the new oil - ie In theory the mileage term ‘should’ extend on the service indicator.

If you plan on changing the van after 48 months, then there is no point in an annual Oil change as it won’t benefit you long term.

You can get rid of old oil at the tip, they have a special bin for it.

It looks like in Germany the Servicing plan is different from UK, similarly to the cam belt discrepancies.
For the Cali, and pretty much any Diesel I've owned for the past 10 years with Long Life oil, DPF and Adblue,
the "german" rule is: 30,000km or 2 years, whatever comes first.
In modern vehicles the car tells you if the Oil should be changed before.
Reason for changing the oil earlier it would be premature degradation, which could happen if in winter you just drive short distances and the engine doesn't warm up properly to allow the condensation (=water) in the oil pan to evaporate with the heat. With "warm up properly" I mean driving 15mi , you can check anyway the oil temp in the display.
You said : " I usually give the warmed up engine a regular good 20 minute run in a low gear + around 3000rpm "
With this I am confident you have no reason to worry, the engine will be warm enough for DPF and oil.
If I were you, I would do nothing and wait until the van is 2 years old or you reach 20k mi.

Hi Borris

Have you asked the dealer service manager for his/her thoughts. Personally I would drop the oil every year as Elmo said.
No. The last time but one that I spoke to him the conversation became rather heated. He tried to get out of doing a repair under warranty. After I had made a quick call to VW Customer services, he had to back down. The relationship hasn't blossomed!
During our last meeting he was obsequious to the point of being cringingly smarmy.

Last edited:
You have 2 service notifications on LongLife.
1. Oil change, dictated by oil quality sensors. Anything upto 20k miles
2. Inspection interval, timed at 2 yrs or 730 days.

In the ideal world Oil and Inspection would match every 2 yrs.
However, they rarely do. So you could have an early Oil Service and a 2 yearly Inspection so I very much doubt if your Service package would last the 7 yrs you anticipate.

So change the oil every year. Every 2nd year the oil change would be tied in with the Inspection. In between you can change the oil, with or without an oil filter change.
Thanks WG. The annual internediate DIY oil and filter change is what I think I shall be doing in future. I'll leave the vehicle on variable servicing and cancel the dealer visit next month. I had asked them to change it to time and distance and do an annual service.

I don't really anticipate the service package lasting for seven years but I do want to get my moneys worth. A cheap DIY annual oil change should help.

Last edited:
I serviced my engine myself this year. Oil. Oil a filter. Fuel filter. Pollen filter and air cleaner. Did it all for less than a hundred quid including the Castrol edge 5 30 oil. It's pretty straight forward if your mechanically minded.if you have camping ramps it's even easier if you st it on them to start with.
I dispose my old oils and filters at work. You may have to look into that. Have an old container ready with a lid to put old oil in. Maybe an empty ad blue tub.
Thanks FB. I've always serviced my own cars once out of warranty. I've not done a T6 yet but don't anticipate any issues. Since I shall only be changing the oil and filter until the warranty expires it won't be too expensive either.

I believe the oil filter is located up behind the engine on the T6? Am I correct? I intend to drive it up on ramps and drop the under pan. I've already had that off once to treat the underbody with Dinitrol rust inhibiter.

I have a large plastic drum for waste oil that I empty at our local recycling centre every so often.

Thanks FB. I've always serviced my own cars once out of warranty. I've not done a T6 yet but don't anticipate any issues. Since I shall only be changing the oil and filter until the warranty expires it won't be too expensive either.

I believe the oil filter is located up behind the engine on the T6? Am I correct? I intend to drive it up on ramps and drop the under pan. I've already had that off once to treat the underbody with Dinitrol rust inhibiter.

I have a large plastic drum for waste oil that I empty at our local recycling centre every so often.
Yes. You will spot it underneath near the front of the engine. You will need a 32 mm filter wrench socket. Although I did manage to get mine off with a spanner.

Yes. You will spot it underneath near the front of the engine. You will need a 32 mm filter wrench socket. Although I did manage to get mine off with a spanner.
So it's at the front! Yes I have a filter wrench.
There's posh!
I remember many years ago using a screw
driver on a stubborn filter. Just drive the screwdriver right though the filter with a hammer and then twist. It worked a treat but was rather messy .

Just one thing, can you please recall how much oil does a T6 require? I've scoured the hand book, looked in all the usual places such as 'Capacities' and "Oil change" and they don't appear to want you getting up to such activities. Under "Capacities" they only mention, fuel, Adblue and windscreen washer bottle capacities. There's the usual host of warnings about just how dangerous it is to change the oil. It should only be carried out by a trained technician or some such nonsense. A sceptical person might be tempted to think that they were trying increase their income from servicing.

So it's at the front! Yes I have a filter wrench.
There's posh!
I remember many years ago using a screw
driver on a stubborn filter. Just drive the screwdriver right though the filter with a hammer and then twist. It worked a treat but was rather messy .

Just one thing, can you please recall how much oil does a T6 require? I've scoured the hand book, looked in all the usual places such as 'Capacities' and "Oil change" and they don't appear to want you getting up to such activities. Under "Capacities" they only mention, fuel, Adblue and windscreen washer bottle capacities. There's the usual host of warnings about just how dangerous it is to change the oil. It should only be carried out by a trained technician or some such nonsense. A sceptical person might be tempted to think that they were trying increase their income from servicing.
It was about 5.5 to 6 L . I tipped in a full 4L tub then had to open another and just topped up until I was happy on the dip stick.
I've used that screwdriver through the filter method before too. These are internal paper cartridge filters though so that old method wont work

Opie oils have Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 LL at £28.95 per 4 litres at the moment.

As a long term keeper now approaching 100k miles (touches wood!) , I’ve always made sure the oil change is done annually and, even if it’s overkill, I’d rather that than not. . To be honest I have had enough genuine things crop up annually (notably broken springs twice) at the VW service inspection that I’m glad it does get looked at regularly.
Recently switched to doing the servicing myself except for brakes and brake fluid. But do appreciate the proper look underneath (with the video) at the dealer MOT visit.
They’re expensive vehicles worth a bit of TLC. Buying used, i would tend to go for one that had been serviced annually despite the trend for long life (I know, probably not entire logical).

Variable service plan. For the year an oil service not due by this plan I syphon the oil out and replace. Don't bother changing the oil filter. Result is oil change every year on a long life service. Normal mileage pre covid was 12k

Back