Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OCEAN - TOP 5 Aftermarket upgrades and accessories?

chris ratay traveler

chris ratay traveler

Overlanding South America w T6.1 Ocean 204, 4M+
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Our new T6.1 Ocean van has full kitchen, awning, trailer hitch, heated seats, 80l tank, LEDs, etc. We will be using for several months at a time.

Excluding kitchen gadgets, what are your Top 5 Aftermarket Accessories/Upgrades do you love, and why ?
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

(Any links are appreciated)

Rainbow screen pop top wrap. Winter camping and sound deadening for festivals.
Awning side panel for those rare red hot summer days
Cadac bbq also for those red hot summer days
A folding bike. For going to the pub in and fits in the van.
Carpets.

Isotop
Solar panels
Kenwood head unit with wireless carplay
Slide out boot tray
Ridgemonkey Grilla (runs in charcoal for uk, gas for SW France, folds flat & east to clean)

Our new T6.1 Ocean van has full kitchen, awning, trailer hitch, heated seats, 80l tank, LEDs, etc. We will be using for several months at a time.

Excluding kitchen gadgets, what are your Top 5 Aftermarket Accessories/Upgrades do you love, and why ?
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Brandrup front seat pockets bags are a must, have had the same set in 5x different vans now 10yrs + old and still going strong.
Bike rack.
Wind deflectors (vw genuine stick on one’s)
Rear bumper load protector
Seat covers/floor mat

Brandrup front seat pockets bags are a must, have had the same set in 5x different vans now 10yrs + old and still going strong.
Bike rack.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

solar 200W - still useful in winter up north
Seat covers VW waterproof for winter fronts
Brandrup rear carpets + `Campervan carpets 2 piece matts for winter.
external screen cover or
internal / vw and a window vac
Brandrup air screen - just make your own with 2mm polycarbonate sheet and suckers from on line.

1) Vw waterproof seat covers - we have a dog
2) Rubber floor matting ( fits rear area and boot, from forum shop)
3) Ridge Monkey - we love morning croissants
4) Front windscreen external cover ( silver affords both condensation minimiser and heat reflector on the odd hot weather day)
The front window blinds are fragile, still intact but a bit of a faff, especially when the seats have been swivelled)
5) Porta potti - Thetford, never used so far in 3 years but there if needed. You’ll find a world of debate around this one !

1) Kitchen shelf hanging above fridge-stove.
2) Wardrobe (near fridge) shelves
3) Rain protector to fix outside over sliding kitchen window
4) Collapsible pipe to divert hot air from heating upstairs
5) Boot plywood short shelf instead of metal rack to extend livable space

All self made.

Found your no (5) particularly interesting. Do you mean removal of metal boot rack and replaced by short shelf near tail gate.How do you use the space ?

Thanks got it, the pix are useful. There’s always someone on this forum who is adapting to suit their needs and it’s so interesting to see what others are doing.
VW designers would be well advised to join as there’s a wealth of ideas on here.

Ignoring lots of kitchen bits we found these useful, sometimes for very occasional use, but good to have for versatility:

1 - Drive Away Awning. We got the Vango Tolga to keep as compact as possible.
2 - Rainbow screen for pop top. Will be testing on the 27th At Etties.
3 - Thetford. A must I’m afraid Unless you have a camel bladder! No need to hide it under a box.
4 - Compact BBQ. Chooise your poison. Ours is the Safari Chef 2.
5 - Mattress support of some kind. We have the Sea To SUmmit SIM and it’s brilliant (don’t over inflate) but have also just got the Duvalay Gold 5cm that we’ll again test at Etties as given the cold I think we’ll be downstairs, even with the Rainbow screen!

For some of the others. We have the Heko wind deflectors. None of them really “deflect wind”, but they are good to open the window to reduce night time condensation (and they look cool). We’d like a boot sliding unit, but yet to find our perfect one.

1. Atera Genio Pro towbar cycle rack (expensive but flawless)
2. Rainbow exterior windscreen cover (fits well, easy to use)
3 Yeti Rambler 10oz tumbler. (Expensive but perfect for hot coffee in the dash cup holder and cold wine in the evening)
4. Decathlon outdoor kitchen cabinet - packs flat, lies on back shelf and means you can unload the van of pans, food etc.
5. Electric cable reel and bag from club shop. Easy to unwind the necessary length, and wind up again, no connections, and the bag keeps the wet reel contained.

This would be my list. Links are for the manufacturers and I can recommend them all for quality. From the UK alternative suppliers may be preferable.

1) Better mattresses upstairs and downstairs, for sleep comfort like home ( https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/ )
2) Isotop internal topper, to keep the cold out in winter and reduce heat from morning sun in summer ( https://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup...e-interior/iso-top-pop-up-roof-insulation-vw/ )
3) Internal window blinds, to block light, cold and heat ( https://www.project-camper.de/ )
4) Slide-out boot tray, for easy and efficient use of the boot ( https://shop.vwcamper.de/heckauszuege/ )
5) Wind deflectors, for ventilation in the rain when the roof is down

After that come solar panels, small electric fan heater, towbar bike carrier (uebler i21, being small and light), extra drawers in the kitchen cabinet, wardrobe shelves.

Bike rack.
Seat covers/floor mat
How do you turn the seats with the seat bags attached? They seem pretty hard to turn with nothing attached.

1) Kitchen shelf hanging above fridge-stove.
2) Wardrobe (near fridge) shelves
3) Rain protector to fix outside over sliding kitchen window
4) Collapsible pipe to divert hot air from heating upstairs
5) Boot plywood short shelf instead of metal rack to extend livable space

All self made.
Since self-made, do you have any photos?

#4 - what is this? (Collapsible pipe to divert hot air from heating upstairs)

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

For sure, mine are:
1)sliding rear tray.
Makes life so easy, when accessing items at the back.
2) Solar charging for Lesuire and starter battery.
Epever Dual MPPT.
3) Lazer Lamps, speak with Josh at Beacons and Lightbars (for 10%discount )for the T6.1 Integration kit and Triple 750R with position side light. I also included the wired cam m8 box and Amber snow / dust covers.

4)ridge monkey
5)this stuff to put between window and dashboard so you don’t lose stuff down the gap !

3 - Thetford. A must I’m afraid Unless you have a camel bladder! No need to hide it under a box.
We had a Thetford in our Defender camper and found it uncomfortably low. Instead we use his/hers Nalgene bottles (wife has a she-wee) that we had in our Roof Top Tent.

Later we upgraded to a 6.4m coach van and moved the bottles to the bathroom. Easy to dump outside in drains or ditches, and avoids having to frequently empty the cassette toilet. We only poop in the toilet in emergencies.

Screenshot_20220711-194207_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
For sure, mine are:
1)sliding rear tray.
Makes life so easy, when accessing items at the back.
2) Solar charging for Lesuire and starter battery.
Epever Dual MPPT.
3) Lazer Lamps, speak with Josh at Beacons and Lightbars (for 10%discount )for the T6.1 Integration kit and Triple 750R with position side light. I also included the wired cam m8 box and Amber snow / dust covers.

4)ridge monkey
5)this stuff to put between window and dashboard so you don’t lose stuff down the gap !
Also IKEA mattress 1” or 2” depending on how comfy you want it upstairs.
S2S (sea to summit) California self inflating mattress for downstairs.
USB digital temperature with two sensors, I put 1 in the fridge and one just hanging outside the 3 sliding window drawers so you can see the temperature. And no guessing.
I’ll find a link later.

This would be my list. Links are for the manufacturers and I can recommend them all for quality. From the UK alternative suppliers may be preferable.

1) Better mattresses upstairs and downstairs, for sleep comfort like home ( https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/ )
2) Isotop internal topper, to keep the cold out in winter and reduce heat from morning sun in summer ( https://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup...e-interior/iso-top-pop-up-roof-insulation-vw/ )
3) Internal window blinds, to block light, cold and heat ( https://www.project-camper.de/ )
4) Slide-out boot tray, for easy and efficient use of the boot ( https://shop.vwcamper.de/heckauszuege/ )
5) Wind deflectors, for ventilation in the rain when the roof is down

After that come solar panels, small electric fan heater, towbar bike carrier (uebler i21, being small and light), extra drawers in the kitchen cabinet, wardrobe shelves.
Thanks for the links! I'm based in Hungary, so you're links work well.

1) Any comments on why this this Calibed Roof III T6.1 mattress better than the factory, or even the Vanessa Mattress ?
4) I'm trying to figure out if I will use the tray... My paragliding wing/backpack takes up about half the garage floor space. Any storage suggestions for above the rear shelf? We won't be using the lower bed, just the upper.
5) Any specific wind deflectors you like?

* Which wardrobe shelves do you like?

Last edited:
Also IKEA mattress 1” or 2” depending on how comfy you want it upstairs.
IKEA mattress to replace VW, or in addition? If addition, where do you store it?

This is tricky! There are at least 15 to list. Most of the really good ones are cheap space saving devices I think, too many to list.

1) Home built shelves and 8 Amazon packing cubes for the wardrobe, colour coded for his and hers.
2) Cadac Safari Chef
3) Brandrup front seat pockets.
4) ridge monkey pan
5) Thule packing box for boot space

Back