Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OBD11 or Carista for T6.1.... why?

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hey Team, so it's Black Friday and I am just wondering if I should avail myself of any of the deals on these type of devices?

However, I have no real experience of these things other than the odd occasion when my son has tweaked a few settings .....

A few questions for users please......

Can these devices find fault codes etc for the 'campervan' stuff? say Eberspacher issues or leisure battery/charge issues etc?
Can they force a DPF activation?
Can they reset advisories like 'inspection required' etc?
Can they do fun stuff?

Moreover....... (me thinking out loud) ...... Do I need one? ..... Will I understand one? ...... will I simply create problems/issues where there were none to start with!?

If I do 'need' one...... which one?

Haha, now then, off to my therapy session...... :D

Thanks team :thumb

I have one. Carista. Used for the few settings I wanted to change. Never used again. If I need to though it’s there. As far as I recall and from posts here it does all those things you mention, and more, with new functions added all the time. It’s nothing like a garage unit, but for us, as usable and danger free as they can make it.

But given some of your questions - maybe keep using your son to do the actual changes ;)

I have one. Carista. Used for the few settings I wanted to change. Never used again. If I need to though it’s there. As far as I recall and from posts here it does all those things you mention, and more, with new functions added all the time. It’s nothing like a garage unit, but for us, as usable and danger free as they can make it.

But given some of your questions - maybe keep using your son to do the actual changes ;)
Haha, you may well have a point there.... I just feel a little bit left behind and almost obliged to get one!

Edit: I do have a Carista than son gave me and just had a quick look..... it seems to do less than OBD11 but would only cost a tenner for a month......
(I need to get out more!)

Edit: I do have a Carista than son gave me and just had a quick look..... it seems to do less than OBD11 but would only cost a tenner for a month......
(I need to get out more!)
Carista does all that you mentioned.

If you have the OBD dongle then you can download Carista or other apps to use with it.

Here's a reasonable summary: https://www.obdadvisor.com/carista-vs-obdeleven/

I have no experience with Carista. OBD11 works ok for me. I've never done a DPF regen as my trips are usually longish.

OBD11 can show you the hall effect sensors on the roof, waterpump current and things like that.

Back