Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not charging from hookup ....help !!!!

D

David j

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi ...2010 140 Cali ....when my hookup is plugged in from my house mains there is no plug symbol on the control panel so do I presume there is a fault or am I missing something ....

Maybe.
1. Is the Mains socket on the Kitchen Unit energised?
2. If it is then check the Mains Plug into the Charger unit, based under the fridge in your vehicle. Check that it is plugged in. It's like the plug you put into an electric kettle.
3. If both these are OK then it could be the Charger.
4. Check the fuses. There are some Fuse charts in the VIP Download section that might give an indication of where to look.

You have checked the trip switches in the rear locker.

They should both be up and red

It may seem obvious, but I see you are a new member, and may be new to the Cali.

Has the plug symbol ever worked or have you just recently taken ownership of the vehicle?

H
Has the plug symbol ever worked or have you just recently taken ownership of the vehicle?
Have only had it a couple of months ...this is the first time I've tried the hookup ...

It may seem obvious, but I see you are a new member, and may be new to the Cali.
Yeah have checked the trip switches they are up and red still no plug symbol ....

As WelshGas asked- does the 3 pin socket behind the passenger seat work when on hookup?
Was there any warranty with the Cali or was it a private seller?

Maybe.
1. Is the Mains socket on the Kitchen Unit energised?
2. If it is then check the Mains Plug into the Charger unit, based under the fridge in your vehicle. Check that it is plugged in. It's like the plug you put into an electric kettle.
3. If both these are OK then it could be the Charger.
4. Check the fuses. There are some Fuse charts in the VIP Download section that might give an indication of where to look.
Thank you ...how do you get to the charger ?

As WelshGas asked- does the 3 pin socket behind the passenger seat work when on hookup?
Was there any warranty with the Cali or was it a private seller?
Will check the 3 pin tomorrow...thanks

As a recent new owner my first charge resulted in no symbol and no charge.

Newbie mistake as I realised I hadn't thrown the switch in the cupboard as mentioned above by Cycolopath.

Hi and welcome on your first post and at the same time your first Q.
Did you not check these ( pretty important ) things when you bought the Cali?
Are you sure the hook- up cable is ok? Nobody seems to mention this but that would be first thing to check .

220v socket at home
Hook- up cable
Cali plug in socket ( is the cable pressed in all the way ?)
Fuses ...and trip swich in the rear wardrobe
Inverter
Batteries
Outgong sockets in the Cali
In that order i would work my checklist

Mine stopped working, and it turned out to be the fuse in the 3 pin plug on the hook up cable adaptor.
It had a 13 amp plug, but when I opened it there was a 3 amp fuse. I had been using a 1 KW fan heater .amazingly it worked all night before blowing.

Are you sure the hook- up cable is ok?
Agree, quite often with these plugs/sockets a cable can come out of it's connection due to poor cable clamping/ strain / vibration etc. Check all connections on lead are secure and carry out a continuity test if possible.

Hi and welcome on your first post and at the same time your first Q.
Did you not check these ( pretty important ) things when you bought the Cali?
Are you sure the hook- up cable is ok? Nobody seems to mention this but that would be first thing to check .

220v socket at home
Hook- up cable
Cali plug in socket ( is the cable pressed in all the way ?)
Fuses ...and trip swich in the rear wardrobe
Inverter
Batteries
Outgong sockets in the Cali
In that order i would work my checklist
Thanks ... Am working my way through rain allowing ha ....

Thank you, that's answered the question I hadn't yet asked, why is my hookup not working? It is now!

Glad to help. Forum membership should come with every new van, as the salesmen don't all know their California's like those of us who use them!...