Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway 2016/17

If you go to supermarkets we found it not that much more expencife than say when we go to the UK or Austria ...never been to Swiss ...
Restaurants , tollroads/ferrycrossings , diesel was our biggest spent last year when we where three weeks in Norway . Not food or drinks.
You can get everything in the supermarket you find at home just diffrent brands.

not so bad then, no need to take boxes of pot noodles ...
hopefully it will be cod or wolf fish on the bbq or what ever the daily catch is..

has anyone been on one of the king crab fishing trips? Seen it advertised on one of the tourist websites..just wondering how good it is..

Anything you can fit into the van :) except salmon. It is cheaper here.

Agree with the above. We have found Kiwi shops to be the best value here. We brought enough meat products for about a week and we have found that meat is relatively expensive.
Make sure you bring enough gas as it's not possible to get Campinggaz here. Most campsites have a kitchen though so you can use them to save gas.
We have done a mixture of wild camping and sites so far. Best to get on a site before sixish though as they do get full. We haven't booked anything and have been ok so far. Plenty of wild camping spots if you can't get a site.
Cost about £25 is but showers are usually extra. Either a 10 Kr coin or tokens.
Fuel is about the same price as the UK, plenty
around.

No shops seem to be open on Sundays but convenience stores (expensive) are open at garages.
Chocolate is VERY pricy. Things like Bounty bars are about twice UK.
Waterproofs are essential although today is beautiful.
Hook ups if you want them (we've had one) are a mixture of normal 3 pin as on UK sites and continental 2 pin so you need an adapter. Individual pitches don't generally have their own leccy point. Multiple points can be quite a distance away so make sure you have a good length cable. One we used was 16 amp but don't know if this is normal.
If you want maps strangely they are cheaper to buy in the UK. Got ours on the net from Waterstones. Tourist offices have good maps for their area so probably not needed.
Cali Cosi had kept us dry upstairs rather than taking a topper on/off each night.
Dont know where you are going but one we did is not to be missed. From Stavanger go to Lysebotn. The road there is magic. Look out for the cairns at the top and it then hairpins down the mountain with a tunnel that spirals back under the road. Makes the Trollstiggen pass look like child's play. Overnight at Lysebotn site and the the ferry down Lysefjord under Pulpit Rock. Next day walk to the rock from above.
Hope this helps

Dont know where you are going but one we did is not to be missed. From Stavanger go to Lysebotn. The road there is magic. Look out for the cairns at the top and it then hairpins down the mountain with a tunnel that spirals back under the road. Makes the Trollstiggen pass look like child's play. Overnight at Lysebotn site and the the ferry down Lysefjord under Pulpit Rock. Next day walk to the rock from above.
Hope this helps
After 10 years in Stavanger I'm somewaht biased so it's lovely to hear someone else saying how beautiful Lysebotn, Preikestolen etc are...

Lysebotn was just unreal and that road down is nuts! Try taking a 2.4 non-turbo with a knackered exhaust up there and it lengthens the pleasure

Just spotted a UK registered Cali T5.1 in Beiarn as we were leaving for the airport. Anyone on here? Quite a rare sight here.

Met two nice Welsh guys from Bodo. Paul said he knows every possible Englishman in Bodo :)
ArcticMatt?

Met two nice Welsh guys from Bodo. Paul said he knows every possible Englishman in Bodo :)
ArcticMatt?
I don't live in Bodø. I live in Beiarn. I'm quite content to find out nobody knows me in Bodø.

Spook, where are you now?
We are half way up in Mosjoen tonight.
Pretty much decided we aren't going to Nordkapp as all we want to do there is the hike to the true northerly point and the extra 1000 miles there and back isn't worth it as we have already been to Nordkapp. Too much to see and do further south. Up to Lofoten for a few days and then back down to see things we missed on the way up.

Spook, where are you now?
We are half way up in Mosjoen tonight.
Pretty much decided we aren't going to Nordkapp as all we want to do there is the hike to the true northerly point and the extra 1000 miles there and back isn't worth it as we have already been to Nordkapp. Too much to see and do further south. Up to Lofoten for a few days and then back down to see things we missed on the way up.

Hey Brain , has the weather improved?
Good you'r still up there!

Hi Wim.
Yes. Today rain but previous five days been great. Sunny and warm. Just hoping it's ok when we get to the Lofoten Islands in about three/four days time. Decided to go and play on the Svartisen glacier and up the coast road to Bodo. Nordkapp definitely off now.
Oh, and we need more washing up liquid please.

Just refill the small botlle:thumb

Already home. Our dog broke her leg near Kristiansund so we had to make an operation right away and went home after that :(

Sad thing to happen , is she getting better ? What has happend?

She is better now. Was just jumping and drooling like all the bullterriers do.
And twisted the leg in a jump so it was a bad fracture and a long complex operation. We were lucky to find a surgeon on Friday.

We are back from the 2nd trip to Norway. Less than 3 weeks in September.
They were incredible. Was way better and warmer weather than whole July. Never again I go there in July. :)
Just 1 rainy day, magic colours, empty camps and roads, warm nights, no winds, perfect for fishing.
Anyway compiled the video of our July trip. One month under 4 minutes.

Lovely edit, thanks for sharing! Brought back some great memories.... I rode my motorcycle up to Lofoten back in 2012, then pedal-cycled with my Wife from Trondheim to Bergen in 2014 - Both great trips!

Sorry to hear about your EBT's leg stress, glad you found a surgeon - Must have been awful! We've now have our first Cali Beach on order, so I hope we'll get a return trip with our Jack Russell also this time in the not to distant future.

Last edited: