Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie on Month Long Continental Tour

G

gatvol

I am relatively new to campervanning and have not yet embarked on a continental tour. We are off to Spain/ Portugal/ France for 3 or 4 weeks soon and would be really grateful for any tips

Things that spring to mind are:

France. Delete speed camera detection from tomtom. Take spare bulbs, hi viz jacket, breathalizer

Get phone unblocked to allow local sim card use

Reverse polarity plug for campsites

Are there any other things I ought to watch out for pls ??

Many thanks

Well did five weeks in France and Spain.

France:

Take loo roll, even to campsite loos - they often don't provide any. And soap too.
Try and speak French if you can.
Have change handy for peages as cards occasionally don't work.
Campsites are everywhere and it's really geared up for it.

Spain:

There are far less campsites around and some are quite expensive
They have loo roll but it's outside the toilet cubicles (!)

And in both - buy lots of wine. Super cheap and very nice.

Only stayed in Portugal non campering but it's a lovely place.

Enjoy!

Carry a map, don't rely on satnav

Get acsi camping card and guide. Out of season you will save a huge amount.

Take coins for the toll booth on motorways in spain. We got caught with just notes and the machine didn't work, we caused quite a traffic jam.

If you are taking bikes make sure you buy the square sign for spain or you will be fined.

Finally enjoy!

Whatever you take, you won't need. Anything you don't take, you will need. Don't worry, they have shops.

Exceptions to this rule: credit cards, toothbrush.

Travel light. Smile a lot. Especially when it all goes wrong.

When you make a hash of it in traffic, remember the phrase "sorry, I am a tourist". This coupled with a huge smile and throwing your hands up in the air is internationally recognised and respected (its only failed for me once at Le Touquet for the beach race, oh, and once at Le Mans... But that is another story!)

Reflective jackets. Keep one for each person to hand (literally to hand) when in France. If you have them, you won't need them!

Have your license handy in Spain - I got randomly stopped by a rather scary looking cop and was VERY glad my license was to hand!

I used to stick a little Union Jack (about 2" x 3") on the back door as a warning to anyone following that I may try to drive on the left at critical places (like motor ways).

Haven't put one on the new van yet but I will.

Back