Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie from NE Scotland

downthepub

downthepub

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Evening, after remarking on another post from this neck of the woods, thought I’d introduce myself. To answer Cilla’s refrain of “What’s yer name and where do you come from“, I’m Miles and I’m from Aberdeen.

Me and Mrs Miles have been considering a campervan for about a year now. The weekend before lockdown we hired a T6 conversion from a local company (V Dub Adventures) which we took down to Stranraer for a spot of parkrunning as we are avid parkrun tourists. Wind on four or five months later, after reviewing all the options on the marketplace, we elected for the California. I imagine for most of the same reasons as everyone else. The kicker for me was that the conversion costs on a high spec van aren’t a million miles away from the cost of a California - we wanted stuff like a grunty engine, DSG, cruise, heated seats etc etc. Plus with a conversion theres a load of messing about - and none of the Scottish conversion companies appeared to want to speak to us.

So, after going through that thought process, I found this good corner of the interwebs and almost immediately (it was a Thursday morning) found a likely looking Ocean down in Stirling. Anyway, long story short it‘s now proudly joined our fleet. Originally I’d promised that we would only have a single car as I have a tendency to “collect“ cars - it could be ridiculous - and yes the other car, a 5-litre Mustang, is pretty well opposite on the spectrum from an Ocean.... Well, the single car fleet now consists of two.

The Ocean itself is mid ’17 204PS in Blackberry with a long list of options, including LED lights, Alcantara, PDC with camera, upgraded audio, upgraded sat nav, 18“ Toluca alloys, towbar, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection (not sure if that’s standard), external shower and a few other bits and bobs.

We are now looking for a Cali or Iso Topper, and a set of winter wheels. The Mustang has a set of winter tyres and it would be remiss for the California to lack proper boots for the winter.

419479a8e028c5435ec155bd9f72f9f48f21ba0e3e0c57aa994b5f0b8db61b72.jpg483457aaa023a4da6aa427764fe0ecec3fdb4cfceb47ccca72002eff06b9058e.jpg9c09b78beb2ec50cefca2d2b789dfd692b7a2576eab7381f9c49129d8759c314.jpg

Last edited:
You have the perfect combination in my opinion two non ‘sensible’ vehicles. I approve!

Welcome! Nice to see a few folk from Aberdeen on here! We're still on the hunt. Going to rent a van in a couple weeks (subject to availability) before looking in any more detail. Although I have to say I'm finding it tough to resist researching!

We rented a van from Graeme at Vdub Adventures, he’s in town and has three or four conversions, no Californias AFAIK. Tell him Miles sent ya!

Jerba In East Lothian do hires and conversions. It’s where I tried first before getting my Cali. They were very Helpful and have good midge netting on their vans.