Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Zealand 1st overnight trip

My profile as the NZ flag on it when I look at it

Hi Shane - just testing a theory here ... You will notice that Debra and I both seem to come from Japan (have their flag on our picture) - which Cali Admin says is because our service provider is routing via Japan (figure that out). I am with Spark, I assume you are not? Anyway I am trying to get Admin to over ride this ... as my Cali has no wish to be in Japan, it wants to explore NZ, Debra - Can't imagine Clint is happy either!

you can switch the flag off in accounts

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 21.39.56.png

Great thread! Parallel universe down under! :thumb

Hi Shane - just testing a theory here ... You will notice that Debra and I both seem to come from Japan (have their flag on our picture) - which Cali Admin says is because our service provider is routing via Japan (figure that out). I am with Spark, I assume you are not? Anyway I am trying to get Admin to over ride this ... as my Cali has no wish to be in Japan, it wants to explore NZ, Debra - Can't imagine Clint is happy either!

hi Debra and KiwiCali, not sure how it all works but Im with Spark mobile, Sky at home for broadband and currently working at 2Degrees and no change in my flag :))

Were you out and about in GI yesterday avo? I saw and blue and white Cali down there just before 4pm. So if someone mad looking was waving at you in a Tiguan that was me!

hi Debra and KiwiCali, not sure how it all works but Im with Spark mobile, Sky at home for broadband and currently working at 2Degrees and no change in my flag :))

Hi

You have to have a grey waste pipe that is adapted to have a 3m hose for disposal of water from the grey waste tank. You also need to have a bin with a lid on it and a loo that can be used within 1m of the bed being in use so they will on certify for self contained for 2 people as the lower bunk can’t be in use and have the porta potty in use too.

Hi Debra

May I ask what modifications you had to have done for self containment other than a portable loo?

Thanks for that, I've never seen or heard of them. Looks a good idea though.

Let me know if you want one and I can order one to go to my Dads and get him to bring it out in November when he comes over for the summer.

Were you out and about in GI yesterday avo? I saw and blue and white Cali down there just before 4pm. So if someone mad looking was waving at you in a Tiguan that was me!

hi Debra, It could have been but Ive seen another one hanging about in the same colour around Mission Bay
You can tell the difference if you look at the bike racks. The other one has a T5 style rack which looks to be the new standard for the T6 now. Mine has the original T6 style which they dont sell in NZ...confused yet :)

Let me know if you want one and I can order one to go to my Dads and get him to bring it out in November when he comes over for the summer.

that would be great if you could please Debra.

Thanks for that, I've never seen or heard of them. Looks a good idea though.

Hi Shane got your bungee cord at dads. He will bring it out with him in a couple of weeks. Cheers debs

Super thanks Debra. Hope you are enjoying the Cali!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Am I imagining it or do the latest Cali's have some kind of elasticated seams sewn in to help the roof collapse properly and avoid being pinched?

I have the cord !

Let me know if you want it dropping off.

I didn’t appear to get a spare wheel with my california, did you get one?

D
Super thanks Debra. Hope you are enjoying the Cali!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Am I imagining it or do the latest Cali's have some kind of elasticated seams sewn in to help the roof collapse properly and avoid being pinched?

I have the cord !

D
Definitely NO spare wheel if you ordered 18" factory fitted wheels, and probably no spare wheel carrier either.
If that is the case then a 17" or even 16" steel wheel with the correct sized tyre can be used as a " Get you to the nearest garage " spare. Plus the appropriately sized Spare wheel carrier.
NB: if you have the 204 then you are restricted to a 17" spare as the 204 has larger front brake callipers and the 16" won't fit the front wheels.

I have the cord !

Thanks Debra, my number 0272677138

Drop me a txt and we can organise.

No definitely no spare. You get a little compressor and some tyre sealant.

D

I have the cord !

D

Hi Debra - I hope you are well ....

As Welshgas has said ... we don't get one ... but we can add a spare. Check out this thread. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...u-have-a-spare-wheel.24279/page-3#post-316424

Plus I did get a quote from Giltraps which is $600 odd, for all the bits required, not including the rubber (for the tyre rim) ...So maybe $800 or so all up. ... I am still debating as to whether it's worth it, as the tyre kit with a sealant and compressor - may be all we require.

Giltrap Quote for tyre.PNG

Be warned once sealant in tyre unlikely any tyre co will repair it. Not possible to clean it out enough.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Be warned once sealant in tyre unlikely any tyre co will repair it. Not possible to clean it out enough.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Hi Andy ... well that a new spin on it ... has anyone else had issues where a tyre repair Company was not able to fix the tyre after sealant was applied? I have just spoken to a Tyre repair Company and he agreed, and said they do not fix them, as they have no way of getting the sealant out ... and that the sealant approach has no guarantee of success anyway ... which could leave the Cali stranded. Looks like I am buying a new spare ... decision made :)

Last edited:
Hi Andy ... well that a new spin on it ... has anyone else had issues where a tyre repair Company was not able to fix the tyre after sealant was applied? I have just spoken to a Tyre repair Company and he agreed, and said they do not fix them, as they have no way of getting the sealant out ... and that the sealant approach has no guarantee of success anyway ... which could leave the Cali stranded. Looks like I am buying a new spare ... decision made :)
The sealant only works on certain types of puncture. A spare is still essential, in my opinion, if travelling off tarmac roads. This is a useful alternative to the sealant repair for straight punctures.

Definitely NO spare wheel if you ordered 18" factory fitted wheels, and probably no spare wheel carrier either.
If that is the case then a 17" or even 16" steel wheel with the correct sized tyre can be used as a " Get you to the nearest garage " spare. Plus the appropriately sized Spare wheel carrier.
NB: if you have the 204 then you are restricted to a 17" spare as the 204 has larger front brake callipers and the 16" won't fit the front wheels.

I understood about 3% of that! And I thought I was a van nerd too!

Me too I suspect.

How are you enjoying yours? Have you been anywhere yet?

Not sure why. My Cali was already enroute when I bought it in June this year so not one I specked out myself so it may have just been lost in translation then. I clean mine after every use and was having a look underneath and was perplexed as to why there was no spare. Thought I would check to see if it had been nicked or never there before I pitched a fit !

I understood about 3% of that! And I thought I was a van nerd too!
What 97% don’t you understand?

Which vehicle have you got and which engine size?

Also, what size wheels does the vehicle have? If you don’t know then just measure the diameter, ideally in inches.

Hi

You have to have a grey waste pipe that is adapted to have a 3m hose for disposal of water from the grey waste tank. You also need to have a bin with a lid on it and a loo that can be used within 1m of the bed being in use so they will on certify for self contained for 2 people as the lower bunk can’t be in use and have the porta potty in use too.

Hi Debra, We are just in the process of buying a 2nd hand Cali and want to get it Cert'd for SC. I have a Landrover which I've kitted out for camping and I have had successfully cert'd by the NZCC. I had a very portable sink etc so this 3m hose thing is a new one to me. - Can you advise more detail please? Why is 3m important and (I'm not familiar with the plumbing yet) whats involved with fitting it.
The bin is no problem of course. The 1m toilet to bed is a bit of a weird rule though! - The whole cert thing is cooked up by the NZCC to stop people cert'ing cheap cars and vans and getting the 'bona-fide' CC'ers a bad name :)
cheers
James