Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New VW specific Kenwood GPS head unit with DAB

M

MickyBlue

VIP Member
For those looking to replace their head units, this may be worth considering/waiting for supply in the coming months. Replaces the current one in the brochure I believe

Kenwood DNX521DAB, story here;

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/59894/kenwood-dnx521dab

kenwood_0.jpg

A lot more info here on the Kenwood site

http://www.kenwood.eu/products/car/navigation/navigation/DNX521DAB/

Geek alert!! - That's fitted to a pre facelift MK2 Skoda Octavia with Dual Zone Climate and without heated seats :laugh2

I need to get out more. :doh

JockMacMad said:
GRRRrrrrr

Always the way with VW moving to DAB on OEM audio, it is no surprise, there's not much extra on it, DAB good and the lane guidance is certainly appreciated but it's not much more, bit fresher looking and sharper fonts.

Interesting they have a button now for the rear cam - interesting because it's the very same button I reconfigured on my Kenwood so I could turn on the rear camera without relying on reverse gear being selected.

It does mean to freak you or a passenger out - you can switch to rear camera view whilst hurtling along - obviously I am not condoning such behaviour lol.

James

Oh great, something else I'll be wanting to buy....!

Now I'm fully au fait with the current Kenwood unit, I do rather like it. That's when it finally switches on, six months after pressing the power button.

Stu - I think you may be a threat to my supreme car geek crown. :lol:

So.. Question for the car geeks out there (Stu I am looking at you) would this work in my golf mk5?

Yes it would work in a MK5 Golf as it's essentially the same chassis and it shares a remarkable number of parts. :thumb

Note to all no matter what anyone tells you the kenwood CMOS-310 camera does work with the 520.

SMG fitted mine at the weekend all good.

How much are these going for? How much do you reckon a DNX520VBT could fetch (with original packaging)? Has anyone tried one yet?

My main gripe with the 520VBT is the speed (or lack of) at switching on. The rest is okay but DAB would be nice (even nicer if radio reception was better - it's poor in the van at the moment).

If it's similar, I'll leave it; we can live without DAB (we have three of them at home!). If it's MUCH better, we may upgrade.

I had poor to no reception in the van until SMG worked some magic on it at the weekend. Now I have many working and clear stations a revelation.

(why does the iPad replace correct words with totally unsuitable ones unless I misspell everything lol )

KernowLad said:
My main gripe with the 520VBT is the speed (or lack of) at switching on.

I think you will get that with many of these type GPS head units, as they are effectively booting an OS like a PC.

The fastest units I have seen to get GPS up and running (booted) are the factory VW units like the RNS510.

This is probably one of the reasons why they cost so much more than the 'replacement head units'.

MickyBlue said:
KernowLad said:
My main gripe with the 520VBT is the speed (or lack of) at switching on.

I think you will get that with many of these type GPS head units, as they are effectively booting an OS like a PC.

The fastest units I have seen to get GPS up and running (booted) are the factory VW units like the RNS510.

This is probably one of the reasons why they cost so much more than the 'replacement head units'.

Maybe we should time them all! It is a bit annoying when you're used to a stereo that switches straight on.

The more features the longer the boot time. As for the 520 there are three different companies components in there. The Kenwood stereo, the Garmin SatNav and the Parrot Bluetooth for Phones. That's not going to help it's startup time.

The VW Up! Unit (Maps and More) takes about 1 1/2 minutes from a cold start or 20 seconds from standby to be useable.

Back