Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New owners opinion on the beach.

OddDog

OddDog

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi all,

the long wait came to an end and we picked up our beach approx 30 days ago.

So before i share my opinion, here are me published needs before the purchase:

So these are the 4 core uses for us as a family.
1. adapted for wheelchair(really just some hold downs on the floor)
2. Family car.
3. Get some ocasional adventures going .. hoping to increase over time.
4. Dad uses for motorway trips for work.

So what do I actually think?

We have the 204cv dsg beach.

We are actually working on the ramps and hold downs now. Will happily inform once we are happy with our solution. And keen to speak to anyone else that uses the T6 with wheelchair passengers.

I feel that the 150cv would have been just fine, it is nice to have the extra cv but I really do not feel that it is necesary, and we have used it with 6 people inside.

The dsg is nice. We had a caravele manuel for a few days before delivery, and frankly I am very happy to have gone with the dsg. Makes the daily driving part a lot more comfortable.

As a large family car, it works well. Lots of space, for kids and all their stuff.

My wife is happy to drive it now, in part thanks to the dsg, which really makes driving easier.

I have slept one night in the van, on a work trip. Had to youtube simple stuff like, how to get the bench bed down (I had to take the extra passenger seat out!).

It was a good cosy nights sleep. Must learn to use the heater.

We will be doing a couple of one night adventures in a 300 km radious over the xmas period, so as a family the mini adventures start, and, we get the chance to learn all the stuff we actually need..... ( we have nothing)

Done a couple of 550 km motorway trips.
The T6 has done a surprisingly good job of it. Cruising at 120 km an hour is a confortable experience.

As a family, we are looking forward to our first adventures.

I feel me biggest regret is not having gone for better lights. The H4 lightbulbs are not good. We will be getting H7 put in. But really the H4 are not good.

Overall, we are very happy, completely normal for a new car I guess.

If you only have one regret that's a win!
You're not alone re the H4s but there are some options:

Replace the H4s with Osram Nightbreaker H4s or the Philips Racing Vision.
Replace the H4 light unit with the OEM H7 units - though last time I looked I think there were still some coding challenges to overcome. Not sure if it's sorted now.
Replace with the Factory LEDs - but you're looking at 2500 - 3000 Euro. Lots of debate over whether you need the headlight washers / new bumper.
There are some LED & H7 hybrid aftermarket units available now (like Vantechs, EMtuning etc) for about 500 Eur

get that heater running. it's not good for it to be stood for a long time without running it up anyway so have a play

Took delivery of a 150dsg in September.
Absolutely love it. The Family car is quite a high spec 14 plate freelander and the Cali totally puts it to shame in terms of cornering, cruising and general comfort.
When I get in the freelander now it feels like a Skoda in comparison, seriously.
I had the stiffer anti-roll bars spec’d on our Cali and it really does corner well.
As for all the other stuff it has to offer, can’t wait till spring to start getting away regularly in it.
The Cali puts a beaming smile on my face, not just when I drive it but even when I walk past it in the evening with the dog.
No car has ever done that before.

Back