Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New owner and new member

R

Robbofromleeds

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hello I'm new to all this. bought a new Cali Ocean 199 in Acapulco blue in June this year. going to live the dream hopefully living up in a small village near Hadrian's Wall they call this the middle of Britain.Getting to know the cali well got a big list of gear to buy. been on a couple of trips so far and loved every minute of it.Just got one problem the leisure battery under the seat is getting warm was hot to touch on one trip when on electric hookup but checked rear battery that's cool is this normal? tried it at home and the same thing happens.

Hello I'm new to all this. bought a new Cali Ocean 199 in Acapulco blue in June this year. going to live the dream hopefully living up in a small village near Hadrian's Wall they call this the middle of Britain.Getting to know the cali well got a big list of gear to buy. been on a couple of trips so far and loved every minute of it.Just got one problem the leisure battery under the seat is getting warm was hot to touch on one trip when on electric hookup but checked rear battery that's cool is this normal? tried it at home and the same thing happens.
Hi Robbo, :welcome

a battery that gets hot is probably faulty, warm is ok, hot would imply the plates have failed.
Not wanting to alarm you, batteries can fail dramatically causing fire.

contact your dealer to note your safety concern ( in writing) & arrange for the both leisure batteries to be replaced under warranty.

Good practice regarding leisure batteries, should be to replace in pairs, where one or more batteries are link together.

the dealer had as duty of care once you report as a potential safety issue, to act swiftly to prevent further issue.

good luck, report back after your contact with the dealer ( to assist others)

:welcome Ideally placed for many adventures there Ian, pics of your Cali please.

Hi Robbo, :welcome

a battery that gets hot is probably faulty, warm is ok, hot would imply the plates have failed.
Not wanting to alarm you, batteries can fail dramatically causing fire.

contact your dealer to note your safety concern ( in writing) & arrange for the both leisure batteries to be replaced under warranty.

Good practice regarding leisure batteries, should be to replace in pairs, where one or more batteries are link together.

the dealer had as duty of care once you report as a potential safety issue, to act swiftly to prevent further issue.

good luck, report back after your contact with the dealer ( to assist others)

Hello

Many thanks for the information, I would not have known it was getting hot had I not felt the seat casing whilst on site under electric hookup.

Got booked in with local vw in Carlisle on 21/10 will put in writing my concerns hopefully they will sort this out

and I will report this back.

Cheers

Welcome Robbo, I’m probably biased but awesome colour choice. Enjoy your van. Hope problem sorted quickly so you can get on with your adventuring

Please let us know what the outcome is of the hot battery...
And post some pics...

Hello

Many thanks for the information, I would not have known it was getting hot had I not felt the seat casing whilst on site under electric hookup.

Got booked in with local vw in Carlisle on 21/10 will put in writing my concerns hopefully they will sort this out

and I will report this back.

Cheers

Had a good checkover in dealership, they checked both leisure batteries. I was surprised they had no electric hook up to check things over had to go back home 17 miles one way to bring my set in.

The conclusion was front leisure is faulty back one ok , so getting new replacement on 30/10 hopefully will be ok now, will be checking and keeping my eye on things.

Cheers

Good news had my front leisure battery replaced under seat and have checked it all out runs fine under electric hook upon heat issues from any battery and I don't get out much in these time :Depressed the current check is 100%.

Hopefully will get some photos together just fitted Thule wander way .

As @perfectossaud above, leisure batteries should both be changed together as they work in parallel. I'm not an expert but I'd be inclined to push the dealer to change rear battery too.