Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean with Electric Sliding Door...

RetroRed5

RetroRed5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Afternoon all,

I'm a total newbie here so please excuse my lack of knowledge if this question is a bit daft.

We are close to ordering our first Ocean; been back and forth a lot with the spec and had the dealer run the numbers for me a few times and I thought I was settled on the spec I wanted; however, just one minor question popped up earlier (via another forum post) and that is about the electric sliding door option.

So my question is, with an electric sliding door, does it have to be either fully open or fully closed? Can the door be left partially open?

My reasoning for choosing the electric sliding door option is because we have hired many T6's/T5's in the past (not the Cali) and our youngest has often had trouble opening/closing the side door even with power latching and so we thought the electric sliding door would solve that issue.

Thanks.

I had an electric door and as I remember, all or nowt.

Go for a non electric, non power latching.
The manual door is spot on and I think quieter opening and closing late at night on a campsite.

Go for a non electric, non power latching.
The manual door is spot on and I think quieter opening and closing late at night on a campsite.
Don’t think the Ocean is available in manual. I suppose you could put some tape over the contacts! :D

Thanks both for your input.

We've hired a VDub bus (mainly Shuttles) for years and most did'nt not have power latching and my youngest really struggled to get the doors to shut first time; I remember watching him trying to shut the door and it would often sort of bounce open a little without actually shutting because he was not able to give it enough heave-ho when he shut it; he usually got it on the 2nd attempt though but with quite a slam; the conversation would normally go something like this...

Youngest: Dad, I can't get the door to shut
Me: Give it a bit more welly then!
Youngest would then take a breath and really give the door a yank, it shut with a bit of a bang
Me: No need to slam it!
Youngest: Well you said...

Anyway, last year the VDub we hired had power latching which seemed to make it a little easier (and avoided the slamming) but it did not completely solve the problem; hence I thought the electric thing would solve this.

I need to go see an electric door in action at the dealership I think.

Although if you can't leave the door partially open then for me at least, that's a bit pants and so I'll possibly skip that option.

:thanks

Thanks both for your input.

We've hired a VDub bus (mainly Shuttles) for years and most did'nt not have power latching and my youngest really struggled to get the doors to shut first time; I remember watching him trying to shut the door and it would often sort of bounce open a little without actually shutting because he was not able to give it enough heave-ho when he shut it; he usually got it on the 2nd attempt though but with quite a slam; the conversation would normally go something like this...

Youngest: Dad, I can't get the door to shut
Me: Give it a bit more welly then!
Youngest would then take a breath and really give the door a yank, it shut with a bit of a bang
Me: No need to slam it!
Youngest: Well you said...

Anyway, last year the VDub we hired had power latching which seemed to make it a little easier (and avoided the slamming) but it did not completely solve the problem; hence I thought the electric thing would solve this.

I need to go see an electric door in action at the dealership I think.

Although if you can't leave the door partially open then for me at least, that's a bit pants and so I'll possibly skip that option.

:thanks

You can leave it partially open by pressing the disable button on the dash, and manually set it partly open as required. Then when Ready press button again to reactivate the electric

Ah, that's great; do the latest T6 based Cali's have this "disable" button?

Another vote for manual here.
Don't get me wrong the electric is a lovely pose and will come in handy when your hands are full.
But overall I know where I am with the manual door (less to go wrong especially half open on a rainy day :happy) and after all your youngest is becoming more adept and skilful every day.

Yes, this is quite true, my youngest is certainly getting older and so will likely be able to get the door shut on his first attempt now ;)

I loved my electric door.

I did not like the way it slammed shut on a quiet, sleeping campsite.

You can disable the electric open/close but the operation of an electric door in manual mode is a lot heavier than a manual door, something which is the main concern to begin with.

Now I have a manual door I would not go back to electric. The biggest reason has nothing to do with operation. It has everything to do with the door open/close button being in the centre of the remote control. I have lost count the number of times that I have walked away from the van with a nonchalant blip of the remote to lock the van..... and turned round to find the side door opening :shocked On one occasion I went out for dinner with my Sister and came back to find the door had been open to anyone for 21/2 hours.

I bought a T6 with an electric door...an option that I wouldn't have specced given the choice based on what I've read here. Having lived with it, I think it's great! Much quieter 'beep' than I'd been led to believe, and the slam and close is quieter than the manual I had in the T5. Based on GrannyJen's report above, I wonder if the operation has been improved in the T6?

I've not tried the 'half closed' option. If I want a bit of breeze, I open the window.

All great points, so thanks all for the input :thumb

I'm possibly placing my order for my first Cali next week so I'll update once I've signed on the dotted line ;)

Based on GrannyJen's report above, I wonder if the operation has been improved in the T6?

I did wonder myself if the manual side door had been improved on the latest T6.
I currently have a brand new 2018 Beach and I am really impressed with how smooth it is.
Unless, my old van door needs some TLC :D

Its very useful for selected owners no doubt; I just ordered my T6 Ocean last week without it, the main reason being that it will use a lot of aux .battery power during "dry camping" which I am doing, rather have that power available for the fridge and the heater. Comments anyone?

Its very useful for selected owners no doubt; I just ordered my T6 Ocean last week without it, the main reason being that it will use a lot of aux .battery power during "dry camping" which I am doing, rather have that power available for the fridge and the heater. Comments anyone?
No problem Just turn it off when camping and use it manually.. It is also powered by engine battery not the leisure battery's.

I ordered electric then read some reports and worried about negative comments. However, after a year it is one of my van's best features. Faultless and as I can operate it from the drivers seat it is so convenient as our daily drive.
The beeps are barely audible and it's great if parked on a slope. As others write it can be disabled though it is a bit harder to operate then.
However, I can't guarantee it will be faultless forever but that's common to everything on any vehicle.
Would be one of the first options selected if I was buying again.

Thanks all for your input; I've been back and forth on this one a few times, "I want it", followed by "Actually I don't need it" and then "I want it" quickly followed by "just another thing to go wrong"; finally I've settled on "I'm having it" :thumb

Thanks all for your input; I've been back and forth on this one a few times, "I want it", followed by "Actually I don't need it" and then "I want it" quickly followed by "just another thing to go wrong"; finally I've settled on "I'm having it" :thumb

Im pleased with mine. Especially when I drive off and realise I’ve left it open. One press of a button and problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff, thanks for setting me straight, much appreciated now knowing the electric side door is powered from the engine battery, and not the aux batteries, and that you can turn that feature off and operate it manually.

Jeff, thanks for setting me straight, much appreciated now knowing the electric side door is powered from the engine battery, and not the aux batteries, and that you can turn that feature off and operate it manually.
Just bear in mind that if you're not on hook up then it's possible to flatten the engine battery by opening and closing too much, as we found out once!
Since then we've always turned off the electric function when not on hook up and the door is very heavy to use

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back