Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali buyer - tips

N

NZCol

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello all - previous lurker who disappeared for a while but now back. I'm looking to order a new California. I know all about the relative issues with fragility etc however in NZ my options for decent i.e. safeish campers with usable space are limited. Importing from UK is now prohibitively expensive and compliance is a 'mare.
I've been using a 2007 6spd man 4 motion for a few days and it is just the ticket. The roof bed is spot on and all our bikes etc fit in nicely now with some fiddling. I'm getting a stainless rack fabricated by a mate for the inside so the bikes live in there until we need the space then they get pushed out the back at night - works well for us.

So despite all that - has anyone got any sage advice for a potential owner ? I'm ordering frmo VW NZ as that gives me an easier path for warranty etc and is also almost cheaper than a private import (once you add GST + duty + freight + compliance).

Also, any 'must have options'. On top of std spec i was planning on
1D7 towbar wiring prep & factory towbar, Roof window, safe box, leccy folding mirrors as NZ drivers are :censor useless at getting through gaps Cry. Wondered about radio options as comes with RCD310.

Cheers for any advice positive or negative

California + NZ = pure heaven!!!

We toured both islands in 1999/2000 as part of our honeymoon for three months. Bought a car, explored most places. A EPIC country!

The standard system is pretty useful but ours came with the Kenwood Multimedia (satnav, bluetooth, etc) - works very well but not a must have IMO.

All come with electric folding mirrors and I reckon 4Motion is essential for NZ!

I'd love to come again and tour in a Cali rather than an old Honda Accord!!

Agree - i've lived here for 14 years and it is now home (scottish originally).

I'll be using the Cali as a day to day vehicle as well - just thought there may be some must have's - I might go for the diff lock as it would be useful in some of the places i go to, mudguards and iPod integration would be the only other things on the base spec.