Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Need educating

It is a sound policy. However you managed to save or have £41000 between 2013 and 2016. I could only save around £10000.
So it was either buy your second hand Peugeot 5008 or get finance! :)

I saved £55.40 per month for 25 years for the van... My mortgage endowment policy matured for a previously redeemed £40,000 mortgage. (25 years ago I had promised myself a Jaguar car for my 50th birthday - I will be getting something far more fun than that!)

having the fifth seat fitted really compromises the use of the vehicle in camping mode. It can be removed but is heavy and not something I'd want to do every time I parked up for the night... although others may have a different view on that.

For that reason though, I would think very carefully before choosing an Ocean or SE for travels with five bodies, even kids.

Thank you for this. I had noted that extra row for the 5th seat whilst exploring the VW configurator. I'd like to see what the legroom is like - I am guessing not so great.......

Lifting the seat out and dumping it on the grass at a campsite doesn't sound too great either.....

I need to go and look at some in the flesh and get a sense for the various compromises. Whilst I am very drawn to the Ocean, the reality is that we will probably use the vehicle for day trips at least once per month and only a very small number of short camping trips per year.

I saved £55.40 per month for 25 years for the van... My mortgage endowment policy matured for a previously redeemed £40,000 mortgage. (25 years ago I had promised myself a Jaguar car for my 50th birthday - I will be getting something far more fun than that!)
Why don't you start your own thread titled 'how to save up for car'? Nowhere in this thread does Shake n Bake ask for advice about saving up to buy a vehicle.

Thank you for this. I had noted that extra row for the 5th seat whilst exploring the VW configurator. I'd like to see what the legroom is like - I am guessing not so great.......

Lifting the seat out and dumping it on the grass at a campsite doesn't sound too great either.....

I need to go and look at some in the flesh and get a sense for the various compromises. Whilst I am very drawn to the Ocean, the reality is that we will probably use the vehicle for day trips at least once per month and only a very small number of short camping trips per year.
You could put it in a pop up tent but then you'd need one tent for one of your children to sleep in another tent for your fifth seat and before you know it you are carrying more and more stuff and you are miles away from the original idea or travelling lite and easy setups. There are folks on here who use Beach models with three children but I'm pretty sure they are all under the age of ten and can sleep together in the roof bed.

With regard to camping trips you start out thinking a few weekends and maybe the odd week and then you realise the potential of the vehicle and before you know it are planning trips around most of mainland Europe. My kids now think you can go anywhere in a Cali, the youngest asked if we could drive to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

Last edited:
.....and you are miles away from the original idea or travelling lite and easy setups.

exactly

With regard to camping trips you start out thinking a few weekends and maybe the odd week and then you realise the potential of the vehicle and before you know it are planning trips around most of mainland Europe. My kids now think you can go anywhere in a Cali, the youngest asked if we could drive to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

Nothing would make me happier!

As a family car (which ours is too), the rail system is definitely one of the big advantages of the Cali as then the kids aren't sitting at the back of the van. Also knowing that it's all been put together in a factory by VW makes me feel happier about safety ... although I appreciate that could be nonsense!

And you're right - for us it's as much a great vehicle for day trips as well as a campervan :)

I was very fixed on the Ocean and the fancy looking kitchen, but having read the alternate views here my mind is opening up. I'm about to move to a house with a double garage, so would have space to store something like one of these "slidepod" pull-out kitchens whilst not in use.

Fascinating vehicles these are!

Hi,

I am sure there is a post here somewhere that I am failing to locate......as a total newbie who thinks an Ocean could be the answer to getting to kids out camping, I am looking for a resource that describes the pro's and con's of different trim levels and new versus used etc.

Right now, myself, the wife and kids (17,12,8) go camping just once a year for 3 nights with a big group. The wife and the eldest are my big fans but I love it. However the 3 hour ordeal of packing away a truly enormous tent and every conceivable convenience item is enough to put me off doing it more regularly.

I have it in my head that the Ocean would mean I could spontaneously bundle the younger two kids into the van and head off for random 1 or 2 nights away, where we just park and we are good to go. No tiresome setup and when we are ready to go, it's 10 mins to pack away.

Should all 5 of us go, a little popup tent with air bed should sort us out.

Question 1: is the above scenario wishful thinking or blissful reality?

Next, when contemplating new or used, I could only afford new if I did away with my main car. So I would have to do 15-20,000 miles a year for the next 2 years (or however long it really takes Elon Musk to deliver the Tesla Model 3), after which it would become my 2nd car.

Question 2: does the T6 offer a lot of benefit over earlier models?
Question 3: is it comfortable on long journeys (my 5 series estate eats up the motorway miles with ease)?

When looking at used adverts, there we some lovely and custom looking examples.

Question 4: is it generally considered better to buy factory or to get the van she'll and customise?

MANY THANKS if you've made it all the way through my long, long first post and I would appreciate any advice!!

Shake.
You could try hiring a Cali for a weekend from Your local VW garage, to see if it suits your needs, we have bought one and it's amazing, completely changed our camping weekends, Cali layouts just work, sliding seats etc better than the conversions, but I would def do a try b4 u buy

As a family of 6 with an SE I would recommend the Ocean rather than the Beach, If your intended use is mainly day trips with only occasional camping trips.

Leave the rear "parcel Shelf" & mattress at home, remove the stops in the floor & the rear bench can be slid back as far as the beach one leaving 5 very comfortable seats all with plenty of leg room.
For camping trips parcel shelf etc can be carried on end with increased leg room but reduced boot space or in place but tight leg room for one seat.

We thought long and hard about a beach but felt it was never going to be as spontanious as an SE - if using it as a main vehicle are you really going to drive round with a camping stove, water , tea, coffee basic supplies etc in it all the time, we do - in a an ocean there is somewhere to keep everything out of sight carefully stored.

Sleeping five inside an ocean is doable with a bunk across the cab.
If its a long term purchase how long is the 17yr old likely to be coming with you? why not buy to suit 4 of you but still useable if needed with 5
You will need a drive away awning/tent - a wet weekend with 5 sitting in the van is a good recipe for family arguments.

Moving the 5th seat in and out is not so bad once you have the knack & know where the lifting points are - fold it flat, swivel it 90 degrees & lift by the pivot point of the arm rests, it gets the centre of balance in the right place for you to lift it whilst standing on the ground outside the door.

Any van this small is going to be a compromise, you need to choose what your priority is, daily use, frequent day trips, or overnight camping and then choose which of those areas you are prepared to compromise on.