Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NC 500 - new Scotland Coastal Route

S

Solgal

VIP Member
OK - so were thinking about going to Norway for our summer holiday but have now changed our minds and are planning to go to Scotland. Whilst searching for ideas, I came across the new North Coast 500 route - known as NC500 - website about only just started in June of this year. I wondered if anyone else had come across it?

We just heard about it a few weeks ago for the first time and have changed our holiday plans to stay in the UK and do the route going East to West depending on weather etc might head out to some islands if we get a chance too.

There is loads of stuff happening on facebook with the route. Search #nc500.

I followed these guys reporting on their on Facebook, and they've published a blog post here http://www.alongdustyroads.com/post...g-the-north-coast-500-nc500-scotland-planning

Tempted to do it in a Cali, but also tempted to hire an Abarth or similar and stay in B&Bs (as the roads are so good to drive on, as well as offering great views).

I've done the route on a motorbike years ago. Awesome.

Last year, we drove a fair part of the route, a.o. the road to Applecross: Bealach na Bà (a pass through the mountains to Applecross ). It was great! This year we did another part from the NC500: from Inverness to Dunnet (and spend the night at Dunnet Head): brilliant!
We enjoyed the route highly and will go again :)
Greetings
Calibusje

Could be on my list for the next UK trip , looks grear

Another 7 weeks and we will be all over Scotland. The NC500 is part of our Round Trip.

Can't wait !

So, if you see a White Cali Edition with Fiamma Box on the BikeRack, possibly followed by a Sahara Beige Cali and a Silver High Roof T5 All with Drivers sitting on the wrong side, this will be us ;-)

Full of porche clubs mx5 clubs motorbike clubs we accidentally got on this road anti clockwise from applecross on a weekend towards Inverness not a pleasant experience

Full of porche clubs mx5 clubs motorbike clubs we accidentally got on this road anti clockwise from applecross on a weekend towards Inverness not a pleasant experience
That's what I was wondering having searched the route on YouTube. It seemed to be popular with sports cars etc. Thanks for the info

We've spent several road trips doing parts of that. The road from Durness down the west coast is superb with loads of Wild Camping spots - most near beaches - a nice one on very small car park at Oldshoremore which has public toilet there as well; only Transporters can get down there, nothing bigger lol - then go and visit the most remote beach in (current) UK Sandwood Bay (4 mile walk from Sheigra but worth it) and some excellent sites as well. I nice one which was quiet when we went may last year was Achmelvich near Lochinver. Then you can Wild down beside Loch Maree near Slatterdale (small track down thro woods to Loch side). Then you can't miss out on a visit to Applecross - stop at Applecross campsite and walk down to have a fantastic meal, whatever the weather, at Applecross Inn. Yes the Beallach na Baa is truly awesome to drive up or down (we've done it 6 times now in our T5) but all roads in the north west are superb drives roads and the T5 loves them. best times are mid/late September or first two weeks of May. These seem to be quietest and midge free; May seems to have most settled weather; it was 27 and sunny when we were there in May and 21 last Sept.

This had to make me laugh.
Since 1969 we've lived in Scotland (Edinburgh, St Andrews and now finally Glasgow) and have spent lots of time on bits of this route: renting croft houses, staying in hotels and with the Cali. I can add TR5, MG TD, Defender, 1 1/2 litre Riley and 2CV Van clubs to the clubs in the post above.
Amusingly we sailed past the dozen 2CV Van bomber stream in Citroen's biggest wagon, the DS23 Safari Familial. And they all tooted (in French).

It was our plan for the fortnight just gone but the weather in the north put us off. The trip will have to be put off until next year now as we are off to France / Germany for six weeks early in August.

Rod

I have just done a round trip from Leeds to Scotland on my Triumph Tiger using much of the 500 route. 1600 miles in 9 days, with spectacular riding and views throughout. The west coast up to Durness is the highlight.