Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nationality of registered owner in a post Brexit world

dartmoordingoe

dartmoordingoe

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi , we are about to buy our Coast .... as an ex demo. Very excited. Since the last time we took our old VW across Europe to Greece Brexit has happened.
As it happens my wife is Irish and UK and I have a UK license
Only.... will it make life any easier if we register the Car in my wife’s name ...or make no difference

Thanks

Tom

I can’t think of any advantage (to you anyway) but that could just be my ignorance. It’s the sort of detail that’s only likely to be unearthed once you’ve already been arrested, rather than in your day to day travelling.

(If it’s in her name and she swaps you for a Greek waiter while you’re over there, will you be walking home? That’s the only risk I could think of.)

Does she have a uk driving licence?

Good afteroon,

Well, I am German (have I said that I have now the Irish Citizenship). Before I got my Irish passport of course we had a car (on my name).

During the years the cars were bought in Ireland registered, taxed and insured in Ireland. What I am tyring to say is, it shouldn't matter what nationality the owner is. If the car is registered, taxed and insured in the country you live in it should be under this countrys rules and regulations.

A more interesting question is, your wife should be able to stay in Europe as long she likes. I am not sure if you also are Irish. If not, in theroy, you should only be able to spend the 90x days (or so) in Europe.

If that is the case it is a bit strange.

Happy Irish California,
Eberhard