Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

mpg 150PS EU6 DSG vs 204PS EU6 DSG

R

rrollins

Vehicle
Looking to buy
What is the real world difference in average mpg between the 150PS EU6 DSG and the 204PS EU6 DSG? The brochure suggests combined figures of 45.6 and 44.1 respectively so I'm presuming negligible when driven steadily?

Thanks.

I guess the question is, if I go for the T6 204PS with the better 'drive', how much more can I expect to pay in higher average mpg albeit when driven steadily?

I'm off to Austria for a long weekend next week (don't even ask). I'll report back on the performance of the 204 DSG.

What is the real world difference in average mpg between the 150PS EU6 DSG and the 204PS EU6 DSG? The brochure suggests combined figures of 45.6 and 44.1 respectively so I'm presuming negligible when driven steadily?

Thanks.
You'll get miles more smiles out of the 204 :)

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the Adblue.

3.3% lower mpg, Shirley?

I had my previous van Pendle'd on the basis it'd improve the mpg at the same performance - clearly that goes out the window the first time you hoof it & then immediately get used to it.

If youre going to go steady you wont need the 204 grunt - my 150 manual real world averages 38mpg - if i boot it the average can drop to 32mpg

Just had a break in Snowdonia and my 150 has whizzed up the steepest roads with absolute ease, but I think the DSG plays a big part in this. On some of the hills it had changed down to 3rd but the engine is so quiet that other than looking at the dash I would have had little idea I was in such a low gear. I would imagine a 150 with manual box would be much harder work and the extra power of the 204 would then be a greater benefit.

My view if you are looking to decided between 150 and 204 I think there are more factors than MPG. in running costs of a Cali there are other factors.-big one for DSG is a 3 year gear box oil change and a for VW a lower cambelt change interval than all other cars I have owned. BUT still you cant beat a campervan for a way of life.

Not getting lower than 35mpg average so far. 204 dsg, 4motion<-- this eats a lot
Display showing 32mpg average since 0, but I didn't even finish breaking in, just 2500 on the clock.
Will report from our 6k trip to Italy next.
I am sure can get over 40mpg in Norway with their speed limits ;)
P.S. it is less than 10% consumption difference but like 30% difference in power

Last edited:

Thanks.
hi rrollings, i have a 204 and on a run i was getting 44. around town its down to 35. I have the 2 wheel drive version. Dont forget to add the adblue which is about 15 quid for 10 litres every 5000 miles.

good luck

Fuel consumption will also vary depending on the tyres used. The low rolling resistance, summer type tyres, have a harder compound that aids consumption figures whereas winter or all season tyres do the opposite. Also the amount of load carried also has a significant effect.
On my 180 changing from the Low Resistance tyres to All Season saw a 2 mpg deterioration in fuel economy.

I just got back from our trip to Austria and can feedback on fuel economy in our 204DSG Ocean.

On the way down I set the ACC at 70mph, although most of the time we were only doing 60 - 65 due to traffic. I achieved a very impressive 45+ mpg over the 900 mile journey. On the way back we had a much greater load, and the journey was a mix of miles of crawling traffic and 80mph stretches between to try and catch-up time. Fuel economy plummeted to about 37mpg.

I was hugely impressed with the ACC. It certainly achieved better fuel economy than I could! It takes a bit of getting use to. With traditional cruise control you need to be prepared to brake when coming up behind slower traffic. With ACC I found that it does the braking but you need to be prepared to override with a bit of accelerator to keep the speed up to slot into an overtaking gap.

Last edited:
We got 45mpg on our T6 150 DSG on our first longish run from London down to the West Country. I think we will have problems with our DPF if I continue to drive that smoothly though as the revs hardly got above idling in 7th on the motorway.

I get about 30mpg in my Ocean 204 PS DSG driving gently. 27mpg driving a bit more aggressively. Not much better than my 3 litre petrol BMW where I get 25 mpg but I guess it is a 3 tonne van. I have checked tyre pressures which were a bit low so I'll see what I get from now but pretty disappointed with the mpg performance so far maybe it will get better with more mileage.

hi rrollings, i have a 204 and on a run i was getting 44. around town its down to 35. I have the 2 wheel drive version. Dont forget to add the adblue which is about 15 quid for 10 litres every 5000 miles.

good luck
Adblue at special petrol stations is a lot cheaper. About £6 for 10 litres. Have a search online for your nearest one.

Just finished a 5k km trip and got some figures. The consumption has dropped.
DSG 204 4motion Beach was getting 37-40mpg
It is possible to get 45mpg on long flat drives near the seaside.
Really impressed with the power and happy I went with 204 in the end.
The consumption difference with 150 in calm driving is almost not noticeable.
P.S. Was about to buy a canister of addblue but a kind lady told me not to waste money and to fill at truck's pump. Turned out insanely easy and cheap. :)
Though it says I have addblue left for 4500km after I did almost 5k after fill up. So consumption is way lower on long calm drives.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the Adblue.

Hmmm.
Something that has stopped me buying another California.
What were they thinking...???

They had no choice. It is to comply with directive and mandatory. Cheap to fill, less pollution and better fuel economy.

I will sit out a couple of years. Would prefer to wait and see what happens.
Hopefully they think up something better in the meantime. I honestly don't care for economy. Reliability is much preferred :thumb

Hi, the fuel consumption on my 150 DSG fully loaded for camping plus pulling a camping trailer with about 150kg of dog equipment in it for an average journey of about 100 miles travelling at about 60/65 mph on all roads, I have been getting between 40 to 42 mpg. The performance of the 150 DSG still impresses me. Plenty quick enough for a camper (especially without the trailer on the back)

Very different figures for mpg; I guess it depends hugely on cruising speed and driving style.

I was planning to buy a 150PS DSG Ocean, but am slightly tempted by the 204PS. Two factors put me off decreased fuel economy (small difference, it seems) and road tax (VED) currently £185 vs £300. Not massive extra expenses, but its like a free couple of weekends away a year...

On the other hand I plan to tow a trailer of c. 1800kg. Admittedly my previous camper (2009 130PS Tiptronic T5) coped pretty well with that, but a bit of extra pulling power always welcome...

Didn't think that diesel has so higher consumption in a cold weather.
Like significantly noticeable.
As for 204bhp version it is insanely fun to drive. Don't regret a choice.

Back